Battery Charger Question

Bobby Burgess

Battery Charger Question

Post by Bobby Burgess »

I have a Ranger three bank battery charger and the second bank goes from red during charging to flashing red. I swapped cables between two batteries and the problem follows. I am not sure if the charger actually has a problem or if its my three year old trolling motor batteries becuase although the 2nd bank goes into flashing mode it still charges the battery to full capacity above 14 volts. What could the real problem be? I was told that the flashing also means fully charged. The other two banks go green when battery is fully charged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby
split172

Re: Battery Charger Question

Post by split172 »

This is from Dual pro website:

Q: Do your chargers have any fault code indications that may appear if there is a problem with my charger or my batteries?

A:Yes, beginning in 2007, all Pro, SE, and XL Series chargers have been equipped with the capability of displaying fault codes. Listed below are the possible fault conditions and what they mean: (These fault codes are also present on all Eagle Series chargers)

RED BLINKING LED.............NO BATTERY DETECTED This indication occurs whenever the charger circuitry cannot detect a battery. The charger circuitry will not allow charge current to flow under this condition. With the AC power supply cord unplugged, check the connection to the batteries for proper polarity (black wire to negative or -). Also check for corrosion free secure connections to the battery. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.

2 RED BLINKING LEDS...........FORMING STAGE TIMEOUT SHUTDOWN This indication occurs if the battery voltage has not risen above 1.75 volts per cell within the first 3 hours of charging. This indicates a possible battery problem and the charge cycle has been terminated at this point. The charger may be reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the AC power supply cord. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.

3 RED BLINKING LEDS...........OVERALL TIMER SHUTDOWN This indication occurs if the charger has not completed the charge cycle within the allowable factory set time period. This indicates a possible battery problem and the charge cycle has been terminated at this point. The charger may be reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the AC power supply cord. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.

4 RED BLINKING LEDS...........INTERNAL OVERTEMP SHUTDOWN This indication occurs if the charger circuitry has detected operating temperatures inside the charger enclosure that are above factory specified levels. This could indicate a possible charger problem and the charge cycle has been terminated. The charger may be reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the AC power supply cord. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.

5 RED BLINKING LEDS...........OVERVOLTAGE PROTECTION This indication occurs if the charger circuitry has detected that the output circuitry is possibly defective. Please discontinue use of the charger and call the factory at 1-800-742-2740.

Q: One of the banks of my PCS charger is not showing any LED indications but the other banks are operating normally, is there a problem with my charger or my battery?

A: Since all of our charging systems consist of totally independent chargers, it is very simple to troubleshoot to see where the problem lies. Simply swap the location of the affected bank and another bank on the two batteries and operate the PCS charger. If the light indications remain the same (same bank still does not light), please call us at 1-800-742-2740 or send us an email message and we will work with you to resolve the problem. If the light indications are reversed on the PCS charger, this indicates that there may be a problem with the battery attached to the bank that will not light.
Bobby Burgess

Re: Battery Charger Question

Post by Bobby Burgess »

Split 172-- thank you so much..I plan on calling them on Monday. By all indications it sounds like my 36 month old batteries need to be replaced. This information was very helpful. Thanks again!!

Bobby