Repacking bearings

Skunkedagain

Repacking bearings

Post by Skunkedagain »

So I figure since I'm replacing my tires on my trailer, I should go ahead and re-pack/replace bearings too. Gil Tires offered to do it for $90.

How hard is it to do myself? I don't own a grease gun, but watching some youtube videos seems doable. Just wondering how often bearings should be packed...and if it's not that often, $90 seems a low amount seeing as I don't feel I'd be saving that much, but if you should replace/repack often, then the money saved would make sense and I'd consider doing it myself. Thoughts?
-Adam Paseman
Whoopbass

Re: Repacking bearings

Post by Whoopbass »

The hardest part is knocking the old races out of the hub.
It's not a complicated job replacing bearings just messy. As long as the seals are good you really don't have to repack them that often. Maybe once a year just for preventative maintenance reasons. Bearings should last many years as long as everything is good.
I guess $90 isn't too bad if their going to replace everything.
You can spend the $90 and get the job done or you can do it yourself and then if you break down going to the lake you will know how to fix it.
Carry a spare hub/bearings/grease/rags along with the tools to get the job done in your tow vehicle. I do and it saved me a tow bill.
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

Just looked and it turns out I have bearing buddies. Any experience with these? I've read on iboats that many with these rarely have to do any maintenance other than adding grease. Still, In the back of my mind, judging from the fact that the person I bought the boat from had car tires rather than trailer tires (along with many other things I won't even go into on a public forum) leads me to wonder if the bearings are good or bad...so I'm thinking I should check them or have them checked, repacked, and spend $90 for peace of mind.
-Adam Paseman
Doug Warren

Post by Doug Warren »

It isn't bad to do it yourself in the comfort of your garage but is a real pain in the @#% on the side of the road. I would always recommend carrying spare seals, race and bearings and grease with you.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I would definitely replace the bearings.
Bearing buddies are for adding grease if it disappears but if everything is fine you shouldn't be losing any grease so in reality bearing buddies aren't even needed.
The problem with bearing buddies is some guys tend to add too much grease and end up blowing the seal.

Pay the shop to do the job and then keep an eye on the bearing buddies periodically and top off if necessary. The bearings should last many years.
Just make sure you don't add too much grease and keep an eye on the inside of the tire rim for grease that has been slung out. If grease has slung out your seal is shot and your bearings are going to fail sooner then later.
Iboats has better advice then I can give so just do a search for "bearing buddies" and read up.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Have it done once and you know your o.k. You don't know if the previous owner did matinance on those bearings. Take it to shop and they can make sure your bearings are in good shape and don't need to be replaced. It is a cheap insurance to make sure they are o.k. cuz if they go out you'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere and miles from home. The bearings could frezze up and your wheel will lock.
You'll be out there with a flash lite trying to fix it and hope cars going by don't hit you. That is, if you can even find parts that time of the day. Need good bearings and tires.
I use to do it myself but it is a messy job. I have it service every other year to avoid any road problem.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Nitrile Gloves - Mabey a hammer for removal of old bearngs - Grease/Pack the new bearings and seals .... and then use a gun for the bearing buddies as needed.

25 minuets tops on a single axle trailor....... Will be longer with tandom axle trailor with surge brakes.

At the same time while everything it appart - it would also be a good time to re-fill your master resivor with fresh fluid and bleed them down again of old fluid.any air bubbles..... And check your rotors/pads if you have a breaking system on your trailor at the same time.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

I have done mine several times. Both in the comfort of my garage and on the side of the road (my screen name should give you a hint). It is pretty simple, just messy. You could buy a grease gun (check out Harbor Frieght), grease, new bearings, seals, etc. for maybe half of what they will charge you to do it. Then you will have it for the future. I am sure once you do it, you will find that it is simple and will continue to do it yourself.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

There are many excellent videos on youtube showing you exactly how to replace/repack bearings.