What Do You Do, When LIve Bait Fishermen Show Up At Tourny ?

Guy Kelley

What Do You Do, When LIve Bait Fishermen Show Up At Tourny ?

Post by Guy Kelley »

At Clear Lake recently for a Club Tournament, I was fishing an area that is known to hold quality fish. As I was fishing alone along the bank a couple of guys in a alum boat show up and cut me off on the bank I was fishing and set out their floating pails of minnows and start to drift along the bank.
In about 10 min they boated several large bass that went an easy 3 of 4 pounds each and the bite for me went totally dead. I asked em what they do with the fish and they said they take home and eat em.

That's when my legs got wobbly and my vision went bad, I think if I had a gun I would have blow holes in there boat.

But not having one and not being a rabble rouser, I did the next best thing and fired the boat up and went about 50 yards down the bank and cut them off. Every thing was fine for about 20 min until they went around me, smile and cut me off at the bank again. I said I was fish a tourniment and it was artificial only. They shot back SO, and we always fish this bank and just to move over cause they were coming through.

Which I did, I left and went to another spot, I figured it was a big lake, an plenty of room for all, an hour later they show up on the creek I was at and start to do the same thing. so i move down the creek a bout a mile, no more problems.

I noticed at the weigh in at red bud , here they were at the park gutting and cleaning two really nice limits of fish about 15 pound each limit. I know every one has the right to fish and we pay for our lic etc, but i did notice they hand no ribbon on the boat anywhere i could see for inspection. so dose this make em local or just two guys who got away with it ?
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
D.B.COOPER

Re: What Do You Do, When LIve Bait Fishermen Show Up At Tour

Post by D.B.COOPER »

Oh I know how you feel. Well if it was me, I definately would have tied on the 1oz skinny bear football jig and just started winging it right at em. This is no talk. I can back it up and it works. Just keep throwing it at em right at the boat. Eventually they will leave. I have done this and it works. I never say a word. Just throw and wind it back. Tired of these ignorant bastards! If they are fishing illegally(quagga sticker, too many fish, or whatever other violations they got), they need to be reported. They think they can bully their way around. Not on my watch! Yeah I'm cranky today :) , but enough is enough! My father always told me"Patrick, don't let em get away with it". And they don't. I always make sure they play the game right. D.B.COOPER 8)
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

Shoot a gun... pelt people with lures?

Guys I hope your just talking. A tournament does not give you any special rights. Its unfortuate that they fished the water you wanted or cut you off after your first altercation. Live bait fishing is legal, harvesting fish is legal... if you don't like it get DFG to change the rules. If they break the rules then call CAL TIP. There are several threads complaining about AMs or meat fishermen... but ultimately you need to realise your remarks are being read...and maybe somebody might actualy listen....
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
bassbooger

Post by bassbooger »

If they're performing an illegal act, report them, but if they're fishing perfectly legal, they are within their rights, just as you are. No one has rights that supersede others.
Bass Booger
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

what can you do, the meat fisherman are what they are, I was on BBC and there was a post about post a fish picture, and this guy from Louisana, posts picture of red fish, a huge turtle and then this... Image
this guys all about meat and feeding the village, same mind set at a lot of place's here in Calif. to, made me sick seeing this but what can you do...
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

when they cut you off, ask nicely if they saw you fishing there. if they refuse to show good common since or sportsman ship try one of these suggestion:
#1: as you leave the area drive right thru the area were they are fishing and reply,sorry didnt see you.
#2: trim motor up about a 45*+ angle with the motor towards them and punch it. the water will hopefully bless /baptize them for their sins
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
biteme

Post by biteme »

If someone did what you said they did i would flip out. I respect people who respect me. Its simple, they disrespected you and will do it again and again until someone stops it.
As far as the fish I hate bucket grabbers but if they had a limit each then all you can do is just smile and hope the CL Bass get to em in the end :wink:
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

how about investing in one of those really loud and fast rc boats bust that thing out and have fun bet they wont fish near u again. :lol:
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

start throwing a hudd as close to their boat as possible. thats what smpboy does :shock:
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Sucks that they have no respect for another fisherman's space BUT to hammer meat fishermen that are in compliance is plain wrong. They are allowed to take 5 per person every day. I have watched Mexican commercial fishermen hammer one of the best lakes in this Country, Falcon Lake. It may be better because of the take. We could very well be damaging our lakes with our incessant catch and release. No, I am not going to stop throwing them back but I am OK with some fish going down. Especially if they go to a good use.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Well stated Robert F,

There is a bit of thought behind that response.

But it does seem to come back to the courtesy issue. People can be complete A-holes, or they are just plain ignorant and shouldn't be on the water in the first place.

Legal take of fish - O.K.
Being jackoffs that cut in front of you - Not O.K. Take DB's advice and wing the jig across the front deck of their boat :D
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Byron

Post by Byron »

They will get thiers for sure. I read a couple months ago that Clear Lake is "The most mercury polluted body of water in the WORLD" due to the Mine runoff.
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

bassbooger wrote:If they're performing an illegal act, report them, but if they're fishing perfectly legal, they are within their rights, just as you are. No one has rights that supersede others.
Like it or not, if they are legal (as this post says) nothing you can do about it. As for throwing, hitting, shooting or interfering with their legal fishing, remember the laws protect them from interference, just like it does for us. Do not get yourself into
trouble or arrested just for a personal opinion on how to fish and what to keep, eat, etc. Bill K
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Hey Guy,
Although that is a horrible situation to be in...there is a bright spot to this...if they fish "there" all of the time and they use minnows...that means you have one heck of a bank that reloads well enough for these guys to pull 10 fish out of there per trip...and keep going back doing the same thing...

Next time, drift along with them and put on a small rip bait on...a live minnow swimming around or a look alike minnow that is jerking around...looking like it's dying...I'd go for the one that looks like an easy meal...then again..if I was a bass I'd be mounted on someones wall or end up in a frying pan...because I think too many lures look good...
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Pearl Swimbaits

Post by Pearl Swimbaits »

There are so many things wrong with this is almost funny........

first, tourney guys kill alot of fish and never eat them........FACT
if i gotta eat bass to survive then AMF.......

where does your bank start and stop? 25 yrds is standard distance for tourny boats.......not on anchor.....i will play hopscotch with you all day if that is where my bite is.....why should i leave and not you........

and you just blasted two guys on the internet and still are not sure if they should have done what they did...

that being said...i probably would have puked seeing it unfold in front of me and would have been just as bent as you were.....props for doing your best to make the most out of your problem.......How did you fair in the tourny and do you think it affected your descion making? It aint easy dealin with the public fisherman.........most just wanna have a good time and know very little about the game we play.

.......and all you violent people out there......chuck baits at me and you will be in a spectra mummy suit waiting for the local authorities :lol: :lol: :lol:
robertthornton

Post by robertthornton »

DaveH wrote:what can you do, the meat fisherman are what they are, I was on BBC and there was a post about post a fish picture, and this guy from Louisana, posts picture of red fish, a huge turtle and then this... Image
this guys all about meat and feeding the village, same mind set at a lot of place's here in Calif. to, made me sick seeing this but what can you do...
Thats nothing you should be sick with them spraying all the grass.
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Pearl swimbaits got it right!!!!