Is something going on in the Delta and Clearlake?

rexford

Is something going on in the Delta and Clearlake?

Post by rexford »

I have heard reports that some of the bait fish in these waters
are not showing as they have in the past. I heard rumors that
the Delta had very little shad this year and now Clearlake too??

I have noticed a massive reduction in Blue Gil in Discovery Bay.
Is there some kind of die off happening or something else
going on? Have the predatory fish like bass and striper been
impacted yet or is this just a figment of my imagination?
Thanks,
Mike
clearlakeoutdoors

Re: Is something going on in the Delta and Clearlake?

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

The shad had a big die off at Clearlake several winters ago, I think with the full lake they will come back. The Bluegill have been scarce at Clearlake and the Delta for a couple years,In the past two weeks Ive seen lots of Bluegill at clearlake(yesterday I saw some on beds),The silversides are starting to show and soon there will be masses of them. Its all natures cycle and hopefully we are on a upswing in numbers of all species.
Dave
disco redrocket

Post by disco redrocket »

I wonder if the fisherman with the pointy hats settin in the tules fillin up buckets with bluegill & crappie have anything to do with it?
YouHateIt

Post by YouHateIt »

hey redrocket...don't forget about all the largemouth and stripers that make there way into those buckets as well... :( :( :(
disco redrocket

Post by disco redrocket »

YouHateIt wrote:hey redrocket...don't forget about all the largemouth and stripers that make there way into those buckets as well... :( :( :(
oh ya !! them too
rexford

Post by rexford »

Thanks Dave! Great information!
flipit

Post by flipit »

I was on the Delta yesterday. While not in Disco I have seen plenty of Bluegills around, actually some on the end of my line at times(they are eating bass baits). I believe they must be spawning. Im not real sure if Im seeing lots or not, dont have anything to compare it too.
Fishing should be fun.
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

that funny cause the shad are thick in stockton right now.

dont forget you have higher inflows / run off, cooler water and the weeds arent as thick this year. all this will cause different fishing conditions. look at the bite this year on the bass
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Hey Mike, the Gill populations here on the river seem ta be fine, like the bass, their spawning path and migration to the shallows has been diverted due to the strange weather. I watch as masses of em came and built builds around my dock two weeks ago and in many places on the river, only to see them disappear in three days, been the same pattern with the largemouth here.

The shad here, already seem to be in the shallow grass and are spawning as we speak, as I have seen lots of white shad fry all over the river. Many places we're now seeing the lil dimples on the surface in the mornings, can ya say BLOOP BLOOP!!!!!!!!

Was that a typo Blkdog812?
the weeds arent as thick this year.
I'm not sure where you've been frequenting, but there are more weeds in this River system right now than there has been the past 7 years. The decaying snot grass is out of control, and there are more cheese matts on the river than we've seen in a long time as well. That's not to leave out the fact the Perrywinkle is taking over this River far worse than the hyacynth ever did.

What's really funny is, guys thru 2007, 2008 and parts f 2009 were all whining about there being no grass in this river system, they sprayed and killed it all. Yet this year, there is more vegitation in this river system and guys are complaining it's too much! Couldn't catch fish because there was no grass, now can't catch em because there's too much! HAR! HAR! HAR!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Cooch wrote: they sprayed and killed it all.
Too bad they didnt leave Mandy alone.......... :evil:
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Swimbait Wannabe

Post by Swimbait Wannabe »

You know what is scary is that I don't see the token 14' aluminum boat with 4 pointy hats and 8 bobbers out posse at the wall in franks anymore. I don't see them on the Delta much anymore, you know if the minnow guys aren't out the fishing must be bad. They are not in Big Break anymore either. Clear lake was decimated of most all crappie and bluegills by the I catch I eat crowd. They have since moved on to coyote and anderson, soon they will be void of small fish too. I hope the 25 limit on sunfish helps, doubt it!
str8upirish

Post by str8upirish »

Was cruising thru Kings Island today. There was about 15 to 20 of the pointy hats around the bridge with buckets of fish.
rexford

Post by rexford »

Thanks guys! Looks like maybe I just had a couple bad days around
the docs in Disco. Appreciate the information from those of you in
the know.

Thanks!
Mike