Huge redeye (maybe?)

RyanThoni

Huge redeye (maybe?)

Post by RyanThoni »

Pretty bad for a fisheries guy to post this, but we cant all be perfect...

I caught this in a lake that I know has redeyes in it. It definitely was not just a run of the mill spotted bass. I know my bass pretty well, and have caught zillions of spots. I am not as confident with redeye identification - I just know they have those thin lateral bars beneath the lateral line.

Funny thing is, I think I saw the same fish hit my bait, in the same spot about 3 weeks earlier. I watched it hit jump and spit the bait and my first thought was - that was a world record redeye.

This one is close to a world record if its a redeye. Definately crushes the state record.

Opinions anyone? Dan? Steve? I know there's some Micropterus experts here...

Ryan Thoni
rjthoni@gmail.com

Society speaks and all men listen, mountains speak and wise men listen
Rbass519

Re: Huge redeye (maybe?)

Post by Rbass519 »

It looks like a nice spot to me. Good job.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ryan, that is an odd fish and my knee jerk reaction is its a hybrid based on morphological characteristics. Those lateral bars below the lateral scream redeye, but they are not as distinct as those Ive seen in what I know are pure redeyes. I didnt zoom into the pic, but as best I can see your fish appears to have a turguiose cresent just behing the eye, thats straight up redeye. However, straight redyes also have various amounts of turquiose in the checks, lower jaw and on the fins, and they have a distinct white band on the upper and lower edges of the caudal. Your fish shows none of this. As you know, all Micropterus hybridize, and I know first hand hybridization among family members is very frequent in California to the point where its impossible to tell what you are holding without genetic analysis. When you start getting hybrids that backcross, it makes it even more difficult to identify an individual.

Without having the fish in hand, and without counting spines, lateral scales, and the rest of that sort of thing, taking a stab at identification is nothing more than a guess. If I had to guess, and thats all it is based on a photo, I would say youve got a hybrid spot/redeye with the spotted bass characteristics dominating. Also, morphological characteristics vary by lake and region, so you may just be holding a washed out looking redeye. Who knows. Check the link, it shows a pure redeye. Your fish shares similar characteristics, but its not dead on.

Regardless, thats a toad and a beautiful fish! I dont know the world record redeye weight off hand. However, back when I lived near Lake Seminole I remember a TBF angler sticking an 8+ redeye in a tourny. Not sure how big your fish is, but if indeed its a true redeye it probably is a state record. Next time you catch it, you may want to keep it! And if you did keep it I would love to do the age and growth analysis on it. Congrats on a great trophy!

http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members ... s.jpg.html
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Looks like a very good spot, to me. Fat and Sassy. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Spot..That is not even a cross with a red eye. I catch many of them at Melones. There should be white on the top and bottom of the tail and blue on the upper right side of the eye. It has the body shape of big crosses, but it is just a very nice spot IMHO.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Who care's what it is, that's a nice fish :D

I would lean towards spotted bass. I kinda agree with Steve, those fainter spots below the lat. line make you wanna think redeye. I think this one is best left to a little "gestalt identification", got with what your gut tells you.

Again, really nice fish!
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

What ever it is looks like it ate a football.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Nice fish, hat no so much. :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

When were redeye planted in CA? I thought they were only native to some southern waters.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Kentuck wrote:When were redeye planted in CA? I thought they were only native to some southern waters.
LOL! Well that is where the species is native, but its non-native range is much greater. This comes straight out of Moyle 2002: "In 1962 and 1964, redeye bass from Tennessee and Georgia were planted in Alder Creek (Sacramento County), South Fork Stanislaus River (Tuolumne County), Dry Creek (Nevada County), Santa Ana River (Riverside County), Sisquoc River (Santa Barbara County), and Santa Margarita River (San Diego County). In 1969 redeyes were planted in Lake Oroville. Redeyes have also invaded the Consumnes River."

Theres not telling where this species currently resides. Ryans fish looks 95% spot, its just the horizontal barring below the lateral line and the small turquoise crescent behind the eye have me wondering if there is a small amount of redeye in that fish. Not all hybrids look the same.
RyanThoni

Post by RyanThoni »

I was thinking there is some hybridization going on too. I knew at my first sight of the fish in the net that it was not just a spot. Like I said before, I have seen/caught/captured for research with UC Davis ####tons of spotted bass. What is not captured well in this picture, was its coloration. There was a major light(pale almost blue)/dark contrast between the ventral and the dorsal parts of the fish. It was just odd, and schooled up with largemouth. Either way I am stoked with the fish, it was the first fish of a 28b limit i boated in the next 30 minutes! :)
Ryan Thoni
rjthoni@gmail.com

Society speaks and all men listen, mountains speak and wise men listen
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

looks like a spotty, not a red eye, red eye have more brwon and green colors and there eye is really orangish/red

the only part strange is a spotty this fat should have black bloches on its belly!
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
MGJR

Post by MGJR »

I know that I've been fishing Lake Oroville for 25 years and I've definately seen quite a bit of hybridization...in fact, I see very few true redeye anymore (harvest, competition, hybridazation) (also helps that I'm a fishery biologist).

Regardless, nice fish. Perhaps I'll head out tonight and do some sampling for the cause!

Cheers.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

This is a cross breed..I should how got a close up on this fish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DY8i9OW ... re=related
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Were you trying to launch that fish away from the school you were working? Nice throw. :D
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Tin Can wrote:Were you trying to launch that fish away from the school you were working? Nice throw. :D
Beat me to it. Ever pitch softball fast pitch?

That narrator wasn't quite as bad as me but close. :lol:
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

The narrator was worse than you Greg, but at least he didn't film my crotch for two minutes straight. You know what I mean buddy. :D ..Yes I was keeping the fish away from the school. They crash a spook harder than that throw. :shock:
davet.

Post by davet. »

Definitely a world record, could have been worth millions, but due to the "No Goofy Hats" clause in the rules, I'm sorry to say that it is disqualified.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
bassmonster

Post by bassmonster »

Redeyes look more like smallies.....thier bellies are alot darker as well. Toad spot!!!
bassmonster

Post by bassmonster »

Redeyes look more like smallies.....thier bellies are alot darker as well. Toad spot!!!