Should we be that surprised?

backlash

Should we be that surprised?

Post by backlash »

Man, thats been alot of reading this past week. But, should we be surprised about cheating? I mean its everywhere isn't it? People cheat to get into College and the NCAA cheats to keep some of them in school. Some cheat on their spouses and some on their taxes. Performance inhancing drugs are everywhere in sports from football and baseball to track and cycling. I'm not suggesting cheating is okay cause so many are doing it; just asking the question....should we be that surprised?
mark poulson

Re: Should we be that surprised?

Post by mark poulson »

I would say disappointed, more than surprised.
I know, whenever there's money involved, there's always a temptation to cheat.
But I don't assume a lot of people will cheat.
As a weighmaster, I've seen too many guys come in with small bags, and still come back to compete again, to think that just losing would tempt them to cheat.
Most people make the conscious decision to play by the rules because winning fairly is the only thing that really means anything.
If you have to cheat to win, you've lost before you start.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

Lets not forget that there are all kinds of forms of cheating. How about going into Rodman on full pad blowing past other guys that are idling in. Isn't that cheating? Cutting a guy or gal off going down a bank because their catching fish. Weighing in a short fish hoping the TD won't measure it. Loading an area up with fish before the tournament, snagging a bed fish outside the mouth. Floating a dead fish out. The point is that none of this is condoned but never the less it is all cheating giving the person doing it an unfair advantage over other competitors. My favorite one which use to go on not only here but in other places was fishing during the off-limits. How about guys holding spots for you? Favorite Delta trick. Until we start policing ourselves and turning in guys and the Tournament Orgs. do something about it and not shine it off especially if its a big name, its going to continue.
Fishitifyoucan

Post by Fishitifyoucan »

The above reply is best factual verbage I have read throughout all of this talk about cheating! Nicely said!

Thank you.
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

mark poulson wrote:I would say disappointed, more than surprised.
I know, whenever there's money involved, there's always a temptation to cheat.
But I don't assume a lot of people will cheat.
As a weighmaster, I've seen too many guys come in with small bags, and still come back to compete again, to think that just losing would tempt them to cheat.
Most people make the conscious decision to play by the rules because winning fairly is the only thing that really means anything.
If you have to cheat to win, you've lost before you start.
Loosing doesn't tempt the majority of tourny guys to cheat and the reason we come back is for that sweet redemption to haul in a big bag of honest fish and beat the pants off the competition and walk home with their eatery fees :twisted: That's what its all about. You cant taste that redemption if you are a cheat. I, for one, would never be able to enjoy the peace and clarity that a day on the water gives me if I cheated while doing it. To ruin that experience would be worse than flat out loosing every tournament I ever entered into for the rest of my life.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Dan Stahlman wrote:Lets not forget that there are all kinds of forms of cheating. How about going into Rodman on full pad blowing past other guys that are idling in. Isn't that cheating?
Unless there's new buoys up, Rodman Slough is not marked as a 5mph zone, so the answer is no.
rmbumpus

Post by rmbumpus »

Everyone on the planet, who fishes tournaments at Clear Lake, knows Rodman is a no wake zone. It is and always had been that is the way it is here. It is 5 mph from the light pole in front of the bridge all the way in and all the way out. Please be courteous. The bouy blew down last winter.
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

there no posted 5mph in Rodman. when the lakes full run it! Most td's clarify it at the meeting or have already clarified it earlier in the season. they all say run it if its not posted. You should have asked. Your mistake. As far as cheating.....im so over all this bs. We work our a$$es off out there just to have some douche bag take it the easy way. No im not surprised. Some peoples mommies didnt love them. :lol: :lol:
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
some guy

Post by some guy »

littlebailey wrote: No im not surprised. Some peoples mommies didnt love them. :lol: :lol:
lol awesome..

i keep thinking about that sick reef you showed me.. hope your slaying fatties holmes. this is the exact week i was up there last year.. go check my favorite point for me. hope all is well man.

I didnt know your bro and I have the same b day.. that tripped me out.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

In all accuality, Rodman is a ten mile per hour zone. The Marker did not get loose, it was cut like a lot of the markers on the shallow rock-piles. It is now one of the major boating areas for kyakers so you will be given a citation for going in on pad. It will be posted again but in the meantime just be aware. Just because the sign is down it doesn't mean its allright to speed especially with the large number of kyakers using it. Sort of like the dangerious rock piles don't sink lower because so me sob cut them so another boater can loose a lower unit if not more.