Clearlake - algea/stink ?

TonyL

Clearlake - algea/stink ?

Post by TonyL »

How bad is it guys ? Planning camp trip at state park next week,kids/family gonna kill me for sure ! :roll:
~ Tony
Hipster

Re: Clearlake - algea/stink ?

Post by Hipster »

The south is worse, real bad I should say for family stuff, is there a bad stink YES!!!!!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

Just got back from a camping trip at CL. Stayed near Rattlesnake point.

My suggestion: Stay on the WEST side. The water in the south is like a swamp right now. The smell is really bad, especially if you're bringing kids or SO's. It was kinda funny watching boats trying to run across the water. They kept getting slowed by the weeds and algae. In the really bad areas the algae has clumped up and looked (and smelled) like floating cow patties.

I did get in my tube to try to find some fish but not much luck there. All in all we had a great time and we're planning another trip back. We just have to make sure we stay on the other side.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines,

L
SNEAKS123

Post by SNEAKS123 »

I hope its not bad in September when Im there for 10 days.
rmbumpus

Post by rmbumpus »

It was way worse last year. Boat clean-up is a hassel but its still Clear Lake and you have the chance of catching the fish of a lifetime.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

I'll be camping at the State Park Mon-Wed. I guess we can bathe in the pleasant swamp smell together, eh? :lol:

Anyways, I was at the State Park during the same time last year. Despite the algae mucking the area up in the evening time, we had an awesome amount of topwater action in front of the state park beach area for a couple of days.

I have confidence it'll be great again this summer, with bigger fish to boot! Don't sweat it! :)
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

If you're staying at State Park I don't think it will be too much of a problem. The wind is blowing south east so most of the muck is collecting in the areas near Rattlesnake.