Your Fishing Dog...It was about 80 degrees yesterday, when

Shad*Wizard

Your Fishing Dog...It was about 80 degrees yesterday, when

Post by Shad*Wizard »

a woman came up to us at the donut shop and asked if we owned the dog that was left in the car parked outside...She was worried that it was in distress from the heat and needed to find the owner...We found the owner in Starbucks and after 10 minutes she finally came outside to check on her dog...

The lady that asked us at first had a temperature guage and held it inside the car waiting for the owner to come out...She showed it to us and within 5 minutes of holding that guage inside the car, it read 98 degrees...Way to dangerous for the dog...The windows were cracked about 2 inches but you could clearly see the dog was having trouble with the heat...The doors were locked or we would have opened them...

The owner thought it wasn't that big of a deal... I blew my top...I told her if there was a cop around, I would have turned her in...The other lady let her have it too...I got her license number and am going to report her to animal services...

If its 75 degrees outside, a car in the sun can go over a 100 degrees...41 degrees was the average increase in a car...The dog can deteriorate in minutes...When temps. are above 86 degrees, the car temps. can hit the 120's to 150's...Leaving the windows open doesn't really bring down the temps. in a hot car...

Bounce around the web and read more for yourself about car interiors and outside temperatures...I think the best thing, is just don't leave your dog in a car at all...Some states have laws on the books about that...Thanks for reading...Sep's radio show brings up the subject of hunting dogs and the heat and that is good info too...Hope maybe Kent can get him to mention this subject for a future show of Sep's.
Team Fugowee

Re: Your Fishing Dog...It was about 80 degrees yesterday, wh

Post by Team Fugowee »

Owner should have been made to trade places with the dog and sit in the car for the same amount of time. Easily would have made the point to the Bitch!
I don't know enough, to leave well enough alone.
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

You guys wouldn't believe it but there are idiots that do that with their children all the time. I can't tell you how many times we (firemen) have opened doors on these cars. The parent's/owners come out in a huff. We ignore them & care for the kids. The parents get to deal with the cops who are all to happy to 'speak' to them!

I know of at least one case where the DA prosecuted...
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

I was sitting at a coffee shop here in New Orleans one day noticed a SUV pull across the street by a nail salon and two ladies get out. A couple mins later a police officer walked by and I noticed him looking in the window ... he had noticed a small child in the car (I had not noticed because of tinted windows and the fact I was across the street. He went back down the block to his squad car and got the slim jim out. About half way through picking the lock one of the ladies that went in came flying out started yelling at the police officer saying he couldnt touch her car ... he blew his top and put her in cuffs. Around then the other one came out turned out she was the mom who ended up in the flexi-cuffs (took two pairs!) Daddy had to come by and pick up the kid. Mommy and auntie went with a female cop who showed up later. Temp was about 85 with humidity at around 100%.

I was pretty shocked people are that ignorant. I can understand a slip of mind and launching your boat with out the plug ... forgetting to set the parking break etc. but that?!?
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Shad*Wizard

Post by Shad*Wizard »

The nice lady trying to help gave me the temp. guage and I barely reached through the window and put it on the shade part of the dash...We left it there for awhile but then I thought, this yo-yo might turn this around on us for messing with her car...We took it back out...The nice lady, a teacher, told me when Doris Day would see something like this, Doris would open the door if possible and take the numb-skull owner's dog for a nice little cool walk until the owner came back and then give them a scolding...Read where they have temp. guages that sound an alarm when temp. goes past a certain point...Good idea...
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

some people are really stupid with thier dogs.

Other people just can not mind thier own damn business.

I often leave my dog in the camper under a very well shaded woods area in the summer. Windows open and a 5 gallon bucket of water in case I get caught off guard and it gets a bit too warm.
Temps never reach much above 85 at the most.

A law preventing owners from leaving their dogs in vechilces would be a shame. Not everyone is stupid about it.
My dog loves taking trips with me and is a great companion. In some cases leaving her in the rig for an hour or 2 is needed.
just shut up and fish
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I take my daughter's dog, a coon hound, with me when I visit jobsites, to give him a little variety.
I have a bowl, bottled water, and a rope, so he can lie by my truck, in the shade, while I'm busy.
That dog gets water, even if there's none for me.
And I walk him on a leash with me when I can.
I actually had a woman in downtown Beverly Hills stop and ask me if I had water for him while I was talking with two employees.
I couldn't believe she would even ask.
I guess, because I was dressed in work clothes, and had a hound, instead of designer jeans with a poodle, she figured I would mistreat my dog.
My employees just laughed at her. They both have had to hold and walk the dog when I'm on the job.
I actually met Doris Day years ago, when I was working on a house in BH just north of Santa Monica Blvd, and she brought the homeowner's dog home after it had gotten out.
She was a nice lady.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY