Mercury alarm problems

jazzwannabe

Mercury alarm problems

Post by jazzwannabe »

Anyone with a Merc built since 1995 experience faulty alarm sensors or problems with the float in the oil tank setting off the alarms? I've heard secondhand that a Merc technician said it's fairly common, even on brand new motors. Alarms go on and stay on even if there's no overheating or low oil.
Golden Empire Bass Club
hawghustler

Re: Mercury alarm problems

Post by hawghustler »

I run a 1998 200hp optimax. The oil sensor light goes off just about everytime I fish. Some more than others. It is always the low oil sensor that beeps and flashes instead of the constant buzz and light for overheating. I dont have the money to have a tech check it out and the few mechanics I've spoken with have given me different answers. If you get a definate straight answer on this I will be stoked.
ken

Post by ken »

I had the same problem years ago and found that the cork oil level float got oil soaked and would sink instead of floating. The cork is originally resin coated but deteriorates with time.
milehi

Post by milehi »

Look at the wires on the cap of the oil resevoir on the engine, if they are twisted, that's probably the problem. I just replaced mine, $55 for the part, one wire, after spending some good cash trying to solve the beeping over the last few years. Mine would do it if you cranked a hard turn, or it was real rough and I was bouncing around. It takes someone with the meter about a minute to check this out.
bustout

Post by bustout »

I run a 1995 efi ....no issues so far...have had it for about 10yrs. Thanks for the info....may come in handy some day!
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I have same problem,95 200 efi.Rough water/high throttle,let off a little and it stops.Hey Milehi are you saying,a bad wire was the problem,and it cost $55 ? :shock:
~ Tony
milehi

Post by milehi »

I have a '95 150 and that was the problem with mine. If you look at the cap on the reserve on the motor there are 2 wires coming out of the cap, if they're twisted, that is probably the problem. You can probably go to any auto parts store and have them put a meter on it, twist the wires and see what happens. You can order one online and even I could put it on. Mine only beep when that reserve would get low because the wires would short out, all I had to do was fill it up( took very little as it lets you know as soon as oil starts getting used from it) and I was good to go. The guy who finally figured it out for me said most of the time they beep thats the problem. Good luck.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Just had my resevoir and sensor replaced. It was alarming Low Oil whenever I was idling. Tech at Gone Fishin Marine said the motor was still getting oil and the level was fine. Replaced the tank and the sensor and everything is back to normal.

NoCAL
jazzwannabe

Post by jazzwannabe »

NoCAL wrote:Just had my resevoir and sensor replaced. It was alarming Low Oil whenever I was idling. Tech at Gone Fishin Marine said the motor was still getting oil and the level was fine. Replaced the tank and the sensor and everything is back to normal.

NoCAL
Did the exact same thing with my ELPTO, good as new now. I guess that's the answer. It's about a $275 job.
Golden Empire Bass Club
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Yup ran just about the same up here in Dixon for my Optimax.
davet.

Post by davet. »

yup, just recently, my 95 200 Promax would beep intermittantly while running. Everything seemed normal on the instruments, so just before the last trip I checked the oil reservoir, it looked ok. The wires to the cap were twisted, so I counter twisted them before I screwed it back on.
Ran it yesterday, no more beeps at all. Now I should probably pull the cap and check continuity with a meter while sliding the float up and down to make sure it works at all. It still might have a broken wire and I don't know if the switch is normally open or normally closed.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
davet.

Post by davet. »

NoCAL wrote:Just had my resevoir and sensor replaced. It was alarming Low Oil whenever I was idling. Tech at Gone Fishin Marine said the motor was still getting oil and the level was fine. Replaced the tank and the sensor and everything is back to normal.

NoCAL
Why did they replace the tank? Does it only come as a kit? Can't you just buy the cap and float?
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

bassboatcentral mercury thread can probably solve ur problem or post a question for Don and he will answer it...
tripletrouttroy

Post by tripletrouttroy »

I have a 2008 Nitro with 150 optimax. My alarm goes off in 5 minutes if i bump the speed up from say 5- 15 it shuts me down.I put it in nuetral then go faster say 20 and it's ok. Need help i have no in between speeds. :?:
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

I was told the whole thing came as a kit. Have to replace the resevoir and the sensor at the same time.

NoCAL