Safety at the gas pump?...Watched a great show...

Shad*Wizard

Safety at the gas pump?...Watched a great show...

Post by Shad*Wizard »

yesterday showing explosions and blow ups at the gas pump caused by static electricity...A high percentage of these is caused by re-entering your car and then going back to handle the pump...Static electricity is caused by sliding on your seat...Another thing was filling up with a can in back of your truck...There was more information about not pulling a lit handle out of the car tank because that caused more flash...Google up info on this subject and read more for yourself...
badbass25

Re: Safety at the gas pump?...Watched a great show...

Post by badbass25 »

Gotta Love the mythbusters!
"The Chase Is Better than the Catch!"
2016 Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

badbass25 wrote:Gotta Love the mythbusters!
I saw that too, it was really hard for them to actually make the gas ignite. The chances of it happening in the open air at a gas station are pretty slim. Didn't they have to contain the fumes in a small box to get it to blow?
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

This was the show that showed alot of stuff blowing up including the Pepcon blast in Henderson, NV a 10+ years back. They showed many instances of ignition of the fumes due to the static but then the person would pull the nozzle out and HELLO flames everywhere. Very interesting stuff.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Here is a link to a static warning and do's and don'ts.
Not a big problem in California because we have vapor recovery.
Covers the cell phone myth too.
Barry

http://www.pei.org/PublicationsResource ... paign.aspx
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

About two weeks ago I got into it with a "rocket scientist" at the gas station who was filling his car while smoking a cigarette. Given that this genius was directly behind me I asked him to stop pumping and get rid of the smoke. He gave me some grief about it but eventually complied. He then proceeded to try and lecture me on how "safe" it was to smoke at the pump. Unreal.
Kurt
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

StockOption wrote:About two weeks ago I got into it with a "rocket scientist" at the gas station who was filling his car while smoking a cigarette. Given that this genius was directly behind me I asked him to stop pumping and get rid of the smoke. He gave me some grief about it but eventually complied. He then proceeded to try and lecture me on how "safe" it was to smoke at the pump. Unreal.
You can't fix stupid.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY