Rememeber the days

Scott Shambre

Rememeber the days

Post by Scott Shambre »

When we had multiple lake circuits????

Would anyone fish a circuit say......between Folsom and Oroville with 3 dates on each lake???

What say you???
Is there a Lost Land of retards????
bassmonkey

Re: Rememeber the days

Post by bassmonkey »

I remember the days of the Folsom Bass League. Low entry fees, good turnouts, and a ton of smack talk. I wish you or someone would bring that back. Those were good times. ABA Folsom is cool and the crew does a great job but the entry fees and low turnouts probably keep alot of guys away. I would even support a split Oroville and Folsom scenario. Alot of guys just want put up a few bucks, go fish, and have a good time. The rookie leagues are drawing the biggest numbers and it's probably no secret that it has alot to do with low cost. There seems to be alot of orgs out there competing for the same small group of customers but they are failing to hit the guys who don't want to or can't fish the rookie stuff. These same guys have probably been affected by the economy in some way or another and can't or don't want to pony up higher entry fees. $250-300 all in entry fees are cool if your drawing 50+ boats as the risk is worth the reward. It sucks to get 3rd or 4th place and be first out of the money when only a handful of boats show up. Sorry I was a little of topic but we need lower cost derbies for the teams who are not rookies. I could be wrong but I do remember the days, and they were much better than they are today. Oro-Folsom Bass League has a nice ring to it. My $.02

Ryan White
dtacker

Post by dtacker »

Ryan,
Was thinking the same thing last night driving home from work. Couldn't have said it better, I would love to fish a circuit on Oroville and Folsom.
Tacker
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

Ryan, as much fun as it was for us to bring the FBL to everyone that supported us, it pails in comparison to the fun I am having fishing tournaments again. It took me nearly 2 years to get my head wrapped around fishing and being competitive.

I want, as some of you would like to see, a resurgance to some travelling team circuits that hit different waters at different times of the year. The last of these type of events were Terry Davis' California Foothills region with Anglers Choice and the old Northern Region with Newbass.

A region that combined Oroville and Folsom would be a kickarse region as long as guys from both regions supported it just like they did with Newbass' Metro Teams region back in the day.

Scott
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

The reason I quit fishing tournaments is I hated going to just one lake. I think that format sucks. All these orgs just try to have too many circuits rathing focusing on better turn outs.

I loved going to multiple lakes it made it a lot more interesting.
First one in the box settles the nerves!
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

I'm with ya. It would be nice to be able to fish both lakes in a circuit again. I loved fishing those circuits back in the day. Maybe it's just me, but I would love to see something like this with lower entry fees. Heck it might even get some guys to dust of their gear and compete again. Right now it does not make much sense to fish 10-15 boat derbies. Teams are more about fun than the dough anyways. It's more fun when more teams show up. I really don't care if it is on 1 lake or 6. Pro team circuit participation has to be at an all time low, and I really think it is the entry fees combined with the way the economy is that is keeping people away. I like the team concept that the CBC is trying. Low cost, chance at something big at the end. Maybe that's the answer. Who knows?
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Why a two lake region? In the old days there was 5 lake regions. We are going to be screwed up with team events until a bunch of DUMB A$$ directors realize there can't be 500 team events in the north state. If they would work together a little bit EVERYONE could win. Less events, more boats, bigger pay-outs, more guys would fish that now sit on the side-lines not wanting to fish a 15-20 boat event, more time off for directors to fish also, less expenses for the circuits, more damn fun with bigger events. Winning used to mean something, when there was 100-180 boats. Now who cares who wins a 15 boat turkey shoot. We need to organize the anglers and TELL THE CIRCUITS what to do!! How's that for a thought?? I know there are many tired of the way things are going. They get worse every year too!! Okay......blast me.
dtacker

Post by dtacker »

Gary, I'd love to fish multiple lakes just as you're speaking about. The way I see it, with the lower entry fee tournaments (which I qualify for) I have a better chance at making my money back than I do with a locals team event. I would love to step up to the next level in team events and fish multiple lakes on a good turnout (in a perfect world).
I am with everyone else, I'd love to fish a large turnout event where they get enough boats to pay down 15-20 spots, the way it was when I was just a baby.
CBC is on the right track and I look forward to fish their events both team and individual. CBC is my favorite format right now and I look forward to doing my best to support them.
I hope I typed all of this correctly, as I'm not disagreeing with anyone about any parts of their posts.
MikeSouza

Post by MikeSouza »

Gary,
Its the same scenerio here in Oklahoma. TD's think that putting more events out there is a better way to do things. Stacking events on top of each other on the same body of water. Then wanting to whine about not pulling any boats. The tournaments that are pulling 20-25 boats, dont pay crap unless you win. I just figured it was an Okie thing and you'll had your stuff together out there. :D
http://www.omegacustomtackle.com
http://www.savephace.com
http://fishingsponsors.com
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Why a two lake region? In the old days there was 5 lake regions. We are going to be screwed up with team events until a bunch of DUMB A$$ directors realize there can't be 500 team events in the north state. If they would work together a little bit EVERYONE could win. Less events, more boats, bigger pay-outs, more guys would fish that now sit on the side-lines not wanting to fish a 15-20 boat event, more time off for directors to fish also, less expenses for the circuits, more damn fun with bigger events. Winning used to mean something, when there was 100-180 boats. Now who cares who wins a 15 boat turkey shoot. We need to organize the anglers and TELL THE CIRCUITS what to do!! How's that for a thought?? I know there are many tired of the way things are going. They get worse every year too!! Okay......blast me.
We all have a way of doing things but the outcome is the most important!!!! I think it's best to fish those org's who listen (which does not mean always act upon) to the anglers and bury the dead when it's over.
Also, for us SoCal guy's it increasingly harder to fish multiple lakes with the quagga mess because every lake is "on it's own" which makes it a mess for the org's to deal with in the end. Just a friendly FYI.
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="MikeSouza"]Gary,
Its the same scenerio here in Oklahoma. TD's think that putting more events out there is a better way to do things. Stacking events on top of each other on the same body of water. Then wanting to whine about not pulling any boats. The tournaments that are pulling 20-25 boats, dont pay crap unless you win. I just figured it was an Okie thing and you'll had your stuff together out there. :D[/quote]

Damn Mike. Sorry to hear your directors are as smart as ours here. This is not hard to figure out. More events scatter the anglers. This just frustates the hel^ out of us fishermen and there's not much we can do.

Detacker, I agree CBC is knew and different. Thanks for the support there. It will get better too. There has been some mistakes and they are getting fixed. CBC is committed that's why the extra $10100 was added to the Championship payback.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

You are right with the mussels and honestly, I don't know crap about which lakes are problems down there. I would "think" there could still be big improvements down there.

Between Brian L , Ron C, John Barron, and MORE, I'm sure something could be made better.
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Things are going to be better down here. Lots of good stuff coming down the pipe. I think the whole industry and even the anglers are in a transition period, but things are definitely going to get better.
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Hey Brian, SSSHHHHH. No tellie the dealeeee!!
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Ok, you forced me to spill the beans.....I will be starting a new org called Thong Bass. Anglers will be required to fish in thongs only. There, are you happy now Guy?
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Brian Linehan wrote:Ok, you forced me to spill the beans.....I will be starting a new org called Thong Bass. Anglers will be required to fish in thongs only. There, are you happy now Guy?
I've seen enough thongs this year, damn Hippie!!!! The kicker is at the TOC all anglers have to wear pasties!! Chest hair is optional though. :? :? SICK!!!
Guy Williams
Charles Barkley
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Is that Hutch back in the 80's? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guy Williams
Charles Barkley
TEAMDEADMONEY

Post by TEAMDEADMONEY »

Im locked and loaded for your circuit Brian....

Lets rumble!!!

Pete 8)
PeteMarinoGuideService.com
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Pete and Brian............you guys got issues :D :D AND you are sick BASS_TURDS :D :D
TEAMDEADMONEY

Post by TEAMDEADMONEY »

hahahaha ...cmon Gary...you posed for that pic...dont deny it.

Pete 8)
PeteMarinoGuideService.com
sTony

Post by sTony »

Scott Shambre wrote:When we had multiple lake circuits????

Would anyone fish a circuit say......between Folsom and Oroville with 3 dates on each lake???

What say you???

I missed this when it was posted.

There is a certain irony about you posting this, Scott. Weren't YOU the guy who ran the Folsom Bass League, a one lake circuit? Now the 'new' idea is a 'two-lake circuit? Are you kidding me?

Back in the day, it'd be a simple Shasta-Oroville-Folsom-Clear Lake, guys from each would actually participate and do a little travel and SHAZAM, you had a larger field event as a result. Now the Shasta guys won't leave their pond and the Oroville guys won't leave theirs and so on.

Despite the economy this could work again, but it takes the 'regional industry' to move, as one, and do it united together and eliminate the 'one lake regions' altogether. It'd cut down on the number of tournaments and it'd lower the pressure on permits as well.

There are some pretty simple answers here to get orgs numbers up but to be achieved they actually have to talk to each other, realize they have a combined destiny, and act in a unified manner. It's ego that stops that from happening. That and a distinct lack of trust.

sTony
Bill Cook

Re: Remember the days

Post by Bill Cook »

I can't agree more. I have ran a multiple lake circuit for 11 years, the Central Coast. I believe a circuit like that creates a much better angler, guys like Jared Lintner, Randy McAbee,Jr, Gene Gray, Darrin Bishop and lots of others cut their teeth there. I'm also guily of starting a one lake circuit (Isabella). The whole one lake circuit came about through economics and poor planning. We tried to serve ALL of the anglers by providing a tournament close by where they could fish in their comfort zone. No org wants to give up anglers by closing down circuits, we have come to think that 10-20 boats is ok. Fifteen 10 boat circuits is still 150 boats, just nobody (angler or org) profits from them.
Dobyns Rods
JRS

Post by JRS »

think this would work for a team circuit? ....4 divisions- 5 tourneys in each division- 1 of the divisions fishes 5 different lakes- 2 of them fish 3 different lakes- and 1 fishes only one lake........$20k guaranteed to winners,and for 200 boat field,they pay down to 27th place.
Gary Ryon

Post by Gary Ryon »

dtacker wrote:
CBC is on the right track and I look forward to fish their events both team and individual. CBC is my favorite format right now and I look forward to doing my best to support them.
I hope I typed all of this correctly, as I'm not disagreeing with anyone about any parts of their posts.
+1
Gary Ryon
West Valley Bassmasters
Phil

Post by Phil »

God i'm glad to see this post. I'm kinda tired of seeing ABA, AC, and the like at Don Pedro, McClure, Don Pedro, McClure, Don Pedro, McCLure. Time to step out of the box. Go backwards a little. Keep all the Orgs if you wish, just spread them out more. Go back o some off limit time on a lake. It has become a tournament benifit for the local guide/pro that is on the lake every day now. Make him travel to a different lake, see how good he is then ? I remember if you wanted to prefish, you had to do it the week before the tournament, or the day before, not the whole week of the tournament. It's not the Orgs fault, it has become it' seems to be what the so called tournament anglers want, easy pickens on their water. Have a guy from Shasta come down to Don Pedro, see how he does ? Or visa versa. Two lake tournaments? Man we got plenty of that now. Make it a 4 or 5 lake season, now your talking. Scott, mix in the Delta and Berryessa into your format, then see what you get ? It all seemed to work fine in the 80's and 90's ? Then along came the Walmart store. We're only going to put them in small towns communities. Then everywhere. It's us that is the problem. spread yourself out. I Wish I had the means to do it again. I'd be the first to fish Shasta, Oroville, Berryessa, Delta, etc etc. Never the same lake twice..(But I don't). We had a couple guys come from Santa Rosa area, never fish Don Pedro before, and kicked butt at a tournament. Now thats a good in my books.
Just my .02
Thank you
flipit

Post by flipit »

Personally Id like to see several lakes in one circuit, like Oroville, Clear Lake, Berryessa, Delta, Folsom, Shasta would be ideal. Or a Mother Lode lake added in there.
Fishing should be fun.
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

Motherlode ABA schedule for 2011

12/11/10 - Melones
1/8/11 - McClure
2/5/11 - Don Pedro
3/5/11 - Melones
4/9/11 - McClure
5/21/11 - Don Pedro

7 different teams won an event in the region last year so there's no chance to complain about the same teams winning everything. Hey swimbait fishing just ain't that good in the motherlode any more :)

There's no 6-hour events to complain about either.

1st place in each event last year was between $2,300 to $3,200. Robert is going to pay 1 in 3 next year and see how that goes. Someone could complain about that (most likely the 2 out of 3 who didn't get paid). But the extra guys who got paid something will be happy at least.

Did I mention the tacos, the bonus mini-TOC thing or the other prizes for the end of the year?

Odds are you'll make the TOC even if you come in nearly last like we did most of last season. At the TOC you'll get a chance to fish for a pile of option money so even if you finish 1st out of the money like we did, you can at least get some consolation cash. The guys who caught 24lbs day 2 and banked $5k weren't complaining about having a 188 boat TOC and I have to admit to being a little jealous.

c'mon out and fish. There's good options and this is one of them.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Yup, that was the beginning of the downward spiral for Team circuits, creating all the one or two lake regions. As Bill mentions, ya still have the same number of boats, but now twice the work, event costs and that number of boats per events shrinks. It's like the East-West Delta Regions, ya took 75-100 boat fields and split it in half, and now are doing twice the work. Never did see the smart business move for the org in that one! This whole division thing within the team fishing world, is not the answer!

And speaking of dividing, I persoanlly, am really disappointed with ABA's decission ta go to a 1:3 payout, spreading the money out, in an already dimished field event, is not the answer. Much less tell me that I should spend more money and git in their goofball options, that's where the payback is, is ludicrous. If I'm gonna spend $250+ for a team event, hell I might as well be fishing the Pro-Ams instead, where the payback is far higher for my output! Here Gator & Roger have built a regional circuit that has now become ABA's largest in participation out here. I believe they may find that with this new change to a 1:3 payout, that region may very well shrink, the Delta guys may not be willing to play that game now.

Just look at FPT & WRL, these two are drawing over 100 boats for every tournament, and have been doing so for quite some time. Both of these circuits have strictly a traveling circuit. Personally, I think this is the most challenging in competative fishing, being able to fish and succeede on multiple bodies of water. I would also think it to be the most rewarding for anglers, as it not only teaches us to be versatile, but it is very rewarding when we can do well outside our home lakes. It indeed prepairs us to climb up and into the next level of competative fishing. Certainly, the new guys coming up in the bass fishing tournament ranks, like this, just like many of us old gaurd guys who groomed out fishing experiences on the same thing many years ago. Certainly we have alot of old timers and zipcode fishermen, who love ta stay on their home waters, but that is not the core group of anglers the orgs should be tagetting and making happy with all these regions.

I loved it then, and still like that concept today!
Scott Shambre

Post by Scott Shambre »

Cooch is right on target here.....

And yes sTony I did run a "one" lake circuit that did very well in a time when that's all we had all over. The economy was good, people were buying boats, rods, reels and lot's of lures.

Three years have passed and I still get asked if I am going to bring back the FBL and I say no for a couple of different reasons....

1) I am having too much fun fishing again
2) I don't believe in the "one" lake circuits anymore, thus I have changed my mind and will not try to make money off of something I do not beleive in.
3) There are too many circuits and regions as it is, why add another???
4) And finally, I am having too much fun fishing again, why change that???

Look out if the FPT creates a PTT (Pro Team Tour) with the same format as what he is running now!!!! Bump the payback to around 75% instead of the high-50's like he has and you would see 100+ boat tournaments there as well!!!!
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Cooch is right on target here.....
Pick a circuit you like and fish the multiple regions they have.

I was hoping the you'd bring back the FBL as well Scott. Don't blame you for not doing it, as it's way more fun just doing the fishing part of it!

I like the idea of multiple lakes, I also like the idea of staying close to home as well. I haven't been forced to work for the peanuts I'm receiving as a paycheck since I was a kid! We all know that lugging the boat around is a big expense.

One of these days we'll all have those perfect days we had in the past :lol:
I had to come back...I know...
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Simply money folks! Alot of good ideas here but only patience is going to bring the good times back! So you fish a 15-20 boat derby, you better not make any mistakes and be pretty lucky to even cash a check... Hopefully the fact that we are actually out fishing and not working the grind is reward enough? It seems like the time frame and place we are at in our lives/fishing sometimes gets mixed up with just fishing and how good or much fun we "were" having. I can remember having fun chasing the carrot when I was younger and looked at fishing and sponsorship very differently back then. Some of our friends who we fished with and against are either very sick or have passed recently.

Focus on the now and make today the "good times" as nobody can control what happens tomorrow. Look at what GARY and SCOTT are actually saying quote; "We are fishing more now and having more fun" This is the different time and perspective in their lives that I am talking about.
Richie Rich

P.S. that old picture of Dobyns looks great!
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix