Frog & Jig rod? Is it possible?

Agro

Frog & Jig rod? Is it possible?

Post by Agro »

Is there a rod I can use for both frogs and jigs? Or are these applications too different?

If its possible, what do you guys recommend for a rod? I was planning on using a Curado E7 for the reel.

Thanks!
BassnReed

Re: Frog & Jig rod? Is it possible?

Post by BassnReed »

I prefer the Dobyns 736C and have at least 3 on the deck at all times. This rod will take care of your Frogging and Jig fishing needs ( and others) with no problem at all...
KReed
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I have the 736c Dobyns rod. Its an excellent frog rod, and works for pitching and flipping jigs. If your talking about dragginfg small jigs in deep lakes the the 744 and 784 are better choices. I also use the 736c for 5,6" lunker punkers or oversized wakebaits and topwaters.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

As for the Cuardo E7 I have one and have used it for flipping, punching and frogging - I have to say I really LOVE this reel the only concern is when jigging you are taking up a lot of line quickly and may be fishing too fast - I like my 6.3 - 1 for jigging. E7 frogging and flipping ALL DAY very light, super quick and easy to cast and pitch.

For rods I tend to like a stiff tip rod that is a little more parabolic for jigging and a faster tip rod that shuts down about the 3rd to 4th guide for frogging.

I use an old Fenwick HMX 7' Heavy action rod for frogging and I have to say I like it better then my Powell 765, I think it is due to my muscle memory as I have been using that fenwick for so long but i felt like I was fighting the rod to get the frog to walk.

For Jigs - Its hard to take that 844 Loomis IMX out of my hand for structure jigs - out on the delta and Clear lake where I am pitching jigs my Powell 765 is great in terms of length and feel.

The challenge you may have is if you are pulling double duty using the rod for frogs and jigs is running braid on your jigs in the rocks = sucks for retieing.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

In many situations Both for topwater and even jigs Im using heavy fluro carbon leaders on the braid.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

acm95301 wrote:In many situations Both for topwater and even jigs Im using heavy fluro carbon leaders on the braid.
The flouro doesn't sink and pull the bait down? I wouldn't reccomend Flouro for any topwater. I have tried it only because I had only one rod with me at the time and it was a pian. You can't pause at all or the line sinks too fast.
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

Any of the Powell rods in a 4 or 5 power would work great for what your looking for. Check out the 735c it will cover frogs, jigs and several needs. The 804c is one of the most versatile rods i've ever used if you like 8ft rods. Shoot me a pm any time if you have any other questions.
http://www.powellco.com
www.eyesurrendernow.com
Saulsbury's Earthmovers

Adam Ochoa
Mike

Post by Mike »

Dobyns 766 will work good for both.
OG on WB since 1993
drew

Post by drew »

Dobyns 735. I happen to have a near new gen II for sale if your interested.
harry chang

Post by harry chang »

Please check out the Phenix - Ultra MBX. Either the 700 H or the 707 H; depending on your length preference.
Kevin Stewart

Post by Kevin Stewart »

Dobyn's 735 Champion series does both great.
7 to 1 - 50lb braid for the frog, 6 to 1 - 20lb floro for the jig.
ASD

Post by ASD »

I love the Dobyns DX795 for your app
Agro

Post by Agro »

Wow, lots of Dobys choices between all the recommendations:

Dobyns 736C
Dobyns 766
Dobyns 735
Dobyns DX795

What to do, what to do...

Hmmm :?:
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

I use my loomis 854 for jigs and top water. I just change to a reel with braid for top water and it works wonderfull.
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
ASD

Post by ASD »

Agro wrote:
What to do, what to do...

Hmmm :?:
inie minnie mynie moe or flip a coin or just get them all :P
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Powell 705 has worked GREAT for me the past 3 years for both apps.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Robchik

Post by Robchik »

I have used the Powell 705 and 735 for both applications and they both work well! My preference is a 735.
http://www.robchik.com
DL

Post by DL »

Kistler makes a Jig and Toad special...its what I use.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-magne ... TCR70.html
"Feel the steel"
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

cib11b wrote:I use my loomis 854 for jigs and top water. I just change to a reel with braid for top water and it works wonderfull.
Same here. I need to buy a second one. Unless you are really big guy, a rod bigger than 7'3" is too much work to walk a frog and it seems to overwork a jig if you are not real patient.
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Dobyns 736 for frogs and 735 for jigs. If you can only get one I think I would use the 736 esp, in big bass water. For the money no one makes a rod as good as Dobyns, I sold all my Loomis and Powells.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
Mike Reidy

Post by Mike Reidy »

IMO Agro you can get one rod that will work for both frogs and jigs. I personally would use the Dobyns 735C. The reason I would choose this rod is I find the 7'3" rod is easier to have on shorter front decks and makes fishing as a co angler easier. I also like a little shorter rod when walking a frog. The 5 power is great in open water and has good backbone in heavier cover. The 6 power rods have a good bit more power and would be great if you are fishing heavy cover more often. I hope you have a dealer near you that has all these Dobyns models for comparison so you can find what is best for your needs. You can always contact Dobyns rods and ask for Gary or Richard at 530-671-1989. They will be happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks for considering Dobyns rods.

Mike Reidy
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

The Powell 735 is also a fine pitchin', swimbait and frog rod, very versitile....
rmbumpus

Post by rmbumpus »

For me a deep water jig rod needs a very fast action both for feel and hook set. For me a frog rod needs a lot of back bone and a more moderate fast action. In my personal opinion to put fish in the livewell consistently you need two different rods to do this right. For example a loomis 844 is a great deep water jig rod and you can frog with it however it is too fast for a hesitated hook set for a frog. I don't like fast actions on a frog rod but I do like backbone. I like both on a jig rod. An exception to this would be, if you dont want a deep water jig rod. If you are shallow jigging only a 7 and a half foot flip stick made a fraction slower will work. Run 50 lb braid for the frog on the E7 and keep some 12 to 17 floro leader line for the jig and tie a double Uni when you switch over. Dobyns has made some slower actions lately. Additionally the moderate fast action will assist you in not snapping the Uni on the hookset. That is the only way I would combine the two presentations. But I would still have a deep water jig rod on the boat. Then you are back to two rods. It comes down to confidence.
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Braid for frogs mono/flouro for jigs for me I switch reels good point. I dont like braid ever exept for frogs and big wake baits. when frogs, jigs are mentioned together I don't think deep but the Powell 705 is a good jig rod for Clear Lake to 30 feet.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

This is a tough question because it does come down to personal preferance too. Some guys like 7'6" to 8' rods to throw frogs on, but as a jig stick you would be giving up quite a bit. BUT it can be done. Some guys like a 7' frog rod and that's a good length for most jig fishermen. It would also depend on what size jigs, cover, and depth of water.

Most frog rods are stout and tip HEAVY and would not make a good jig rod. I HATE tip heavy jig rods.

Please check out all suggestions here at your local dealer. Please pick up one of my 735C Champion rods in your decision making process. It's my suggestion for what you are looking for.

Call us anytime at the shop. Me or Rich will do our best to answer any questions. 530-671-1989
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

I agree with Gary here in hindsite I have left the braid and frog on the 5 power and mostly fished jigs on the 734 and 733. Except pitichin with the 735.
lil nitro

Post by lil nitro »

Check out the Fenwick elite tech Frog rod it works great for jigs.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

Tin Can wrote:
acm95301 wrote:In many situations Both for topwater and even jigs Im using heavy fluro carbon leaders on the braid.
The flouro doesn't sink and pull the bait down? I wouldn't reccomend Flouro for any topwater. I have tried it only because I had only one rod with me at the time and it was a pian. You can't pause at all or the line sinks too fast.

Im using a small 2ft leader not a whole section....the stiffness of the fluro keeps the line out of the hooks better. It doesnt have any problems floating with such a short section bouyed by a floating lure and braid.
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

acm95301 wrote: Im using a small 2ft leader not a whole section....the stiffness of the fluro keeps the line out of the hooks better. It doesnt have any problems floating with such a short section bouyed by a floating lure and braid.
The challenge is when breaking off jigs in the rocks and having to retie the uni knot when the weather or conditions just suck
massbaster

Post by massbaster »

Go with a 5 or 6 power rod like the others suggested, for my self I Like the 7'3' rods for both applications. I use a Zombie rod and tackle 7'3" xtra heavy it is probably more a 6 power than a 5 but it has some tip to it to work frogs. The rod was reveiwed on tackle tour and they are also sold on tacklewarehouse. :D
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

No one said a thing about the Bobby barrack frog rod huh? Do yourself a favor and get one. you can use it for frogs jigs smaller swimbaits.. its very light and comfortable... plus i am not biased by sponsership like some of the other posters on here! Falcon makes it.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

ash wrote:
The challenge is when breaking off jigs in the rocks and having to retie the uni knot when the weather or conditions just suck
agreed,
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Argo,

You can absolutely find a rod that will serve both purposes. You've got to be selective here though, because what is labeled a "Frog" or "Jig" rod, is just a label as to what that particular Manufacture deems suitable for that purpose. We all have our own personal preferences when it comes to one or the other, and many times it does not truely match that of the designation as proposed by the labels from the manufacturers.

I've seen the widest array of "frog" rods, more than any other technique specific across the board, from all the manufacturers. Many of these, have way too lite of a tip section and the action is really not suitable for heavy duty froggin. They certainly would not be suitable for heavy duty pitching & flippen of jigs. They are though, acceptable, especially if the only froggin ya do is open water froggin'.

Most of the time though, we associate froggin with shallow, heavy cover fishing, hence it seems to me, you should have a rod that you can set the hook on a strike, so as to first assure a solid hook penetration. Frogs, as a rule, are the absolute worst of any bait we fish by the way, when it comes to hook up ratio. It's just the nature of the beast and those double hooks used.

Once you've assured a solid hookset, you must then have a rod that YOU, can instantly control the fish and haul his firey, pissed off self out and away from the dense cover from which he came. I've seen hundreds of lost fish by anglers, using a designated frog rod that was too light by the manufacturer, simpley because the fish controlled the action and the angler was over matched. I am by no means a froggin "expert", but I believe I have enough experience over all, so as ta figure out ways to increase my percentages of putting fish in the boat with any tactic. The stouter, fast action rods have helped me to put more frog fish in the boat.

A simple test can be done at yer local store. Take a reel loaded with line, put it on the rod and check out the action(Parabolic bend of the upper section of the rod). Be sure that ya don't wimp out, put some tough tension on that rod tip. Lord knows a 3,5,7 or 9 pound bass will and then yer hookset should quadruple that, so give it a lot of pull. If that rod starts to bend like an upside down "J" up around the 3rd or 4th guide, it don't have the action yer gonna need for both Froggin and Jiggin on ponds like the Delta & Clearlake. The "J" rods(noodle stiks) may work fine on the open water stuff and fer tossing exposed football jigs on a lake, but definately not in places with heavy cover.

On the flip side is the Jig rod. Now fer me, when someone talks about a jig rod, I'm thinkin pitchin and flippen jigs too heavy, dense cover. You must have a stout, fast actioned rod that is fairly light to do this effectively day in and day out. More importantly, you also need a rod that is supper sensative. Sensativity is not associated with froggin rods, hence with the lighter tips and lack of sensativity, frog rods make ineffective jig rods. Yet a great jig rod, will more than suffice as a froggin rod every time.

For me, I use both my new Fenwick Elite Tech 7'6" Flippen Stiks(ECFP76H-F) and my old Cameron 7'0" CGR704F for both tactics. Now if all ya do is open water froggin' and toss football head jigs on the lakes, the Fenwick Eltie Tech series Froggin rod(ECF72-H-XF) is an excellent option, although I don't use the FET Froggin rod as a frog rod for all the reasons mentioned above, yet I love this rod for pitchin/flippen that 7" Yamamoto Senko.

Bottom line is ya got a lot of options, hopefully the info in this thread will git you the desired rod to use for both applications!
Rob Hernandez

Post by Rob Hernandez »

I have 4 Powell 705 Mag Heavy rods that I use for both jigs and frogs. The rod has been pretty sweet ! It has a sensitive tip with some moderate bend to it but it does have some pretty strong backbone as well, try one out, there kinda hard to find at times though.