Fishing Big Bear?

tALLkAN

Fishing Big Bear?

Post by tALLkAN »

First time going out there in 10 plus years. Taking out my boat and was hoping for a few pointers on where to start??? Cranks? Spider jigs? Frogs? Or should i just go around the lake throwing jerkbaits.. hook it up with some 411 fellas. thanks :D
tALLkAN

Re: Fishing Big Bear?

Post by tALLkAN »

OHH and hows the quagga inspection??? is it like dvl?
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

With Tourny upcoming, you won't get too many replies.
Keep in mind BBL is 7,000' elevation and freezes over during the winter. No shad, no FLMB, bass at BBL don't feed on pelagic baitfish. Weedlines, docks, shaded areas were bluegill, pumpkin seeds sunfish, crappie, baby bass, darner nymphs (dragon fly), baby carp, frogs, crawdads and night crawlers make up the bass prey.
Any lure you can work through weed cover, over weed cover, next to docks or rocks will catch BBL bass.
Good luck.
Tom
senkoskipper

Post by senkoskipper »

Please excuse my ignorance Oldschool, but what is pelagic baitfish?
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

thanks tom. didnt know there was a tourney coming up... just wanted to take the ol' lady out of the inland empire lakes and go catch some scenery. i bet there's gonna be a s@@tload of boats out anyway so lets see what happens? any word on how the inspections roll? :?
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Go with the buzzbait and spinnerbait. If it's a little slower than normal take a floating jerkbait and do some twitchin' in the weedlanes and openings for some action. If you want some bigger bites try swiming and punching/pitching jigs around the docks in the south eastern parts of the lake. Also popping jigs off the rocky area's will hurt some fish too. Good luck, I'll be up that way but with the wife for our 14 year anniversary. 8)
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

thanks guy. appreciate the info. ill post some pics if i can get um.
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

BIG BEAR??? They got bass in there? Man that brings back the day. When I lived in LA. I think I was 14 years old and that was 44 yeras ago. Thats the last time I fished Big Bear Lake and it was for trout.

Good Luck
If you do nothing expect nothing!
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

damn. your old school buddy :lol:
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Black jigs and white buzz baits...how oldchool can you get.
Tom
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

tALLkAN wrote:damn. your old school buddy :lol:
Yes I've been fishing while, and can get them most of the time. No one ever gets younger in life. You will be there someday too. 4" Blackberry Manns Jelly worm using a #4 split shot. Now thats old school (late 70's) :P

Good Fishin
If you do nothing expect nothing!
tALLkAN

Post by tALLkAN »

split shotin a manns! thats good stuff... just got back from the lake and let me tell ya there was about 50,000 boats out. it was a complete zoo but managed to get a few. caught a 4 inch smallmouth on a jig and pig. it was awsome :lol: