cableas trying to save fishing lead products

kane-o

cableas trying to save fishing lead products

Post by kane-o »

Take Action Now! Protect your right to fish.

September 2, 2010

Dear Cabela's Customer:

Occasionally, an issue of such importance arises we feel it necessary to contact our loyal customers. With our fishing rights at stake, this is such an issue.

On August 23, 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and others to ban lead from ammunition and fishing tackle, including sinkers, jigs, weighted fly lines and components containing lead, such as brass and ballast in lures, spinners, stick baits and other fishing products.

On August 27, the EPA denied the petition regarding ammunition, but let stand the petition to ban lead in fishing tackle and has opened a short period for taking public comment.

Such a ban would cause prices of fishing products to skyrocket. Alternative metals can cost from six to 15 times more than lead, and most do not perform as well. For many, fishing would no longer be the affordable sport it is now.

Please join Cabela's and Keep America Fishing in opposing this ban by submitting your comments to the EPA no later than September 15, 2010. You can easily do so by clicking here.

It is a fast and easy way to assure your opinion is heard.

Cabela's is working in conjunction with the American Sportfishing Association and Keep America Fishing to protect our tradition and heritage of fishing.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Cabela's

This e-mail was sent to you by: Cabelas.com, One Cabela Dr., Sidney, NE 69160

Read Cabela's Privacy Policy.

We've contacted you because you subscribed at Cabelas.com or at a Cabela's retail store for our e-mail newsletter. The e-mail address with which you subscribed is listed as jolson90@charter.net. If you would like to be removed from the Cabela's newsletter, please use the following link: https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/temp ... unsub-home theres a better version on their site, which allows you to voice you opinion, and vote on keeping lead products for fishing related items, got to the cabelas site for better info....
bassaddicted

Re: cableas trying to save fishing lead products

Post by bassaddicted »

Awesome, we need some big backing. Thank you
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Hey bro, thanks for posting.

By the way, I unsubscribed for you by clicking that un-subscribe link, no more spam for you anymore, cool huh?

:twisted:

J/K. :lol: 8)

Someone posted another link about it yesterday, I went and did my part, weird thing was it was just a form; I could send it in a million times, so I don't think they really care much about the whole deal, not in our favor anyways.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
senkoskipper

Post by senkoskipper »

I think the ban should be passed. Its already been determined that Lead is dangerous and its already banned in childrens toys, just makes sense to ban it on fishing products too.
sker13

Post by sker13 »

senkoskipper wrote:I think the ban should be passed. Its already been determined that Lead is dangerous and its already banned in childrens toys, just makes sense to ban it on fishing products too.
Yeah just what we need....Gov. to tell us what kind of weights to use and what we can make bullets out of. :roll: Cause hunting and fishing are so detrimental to the environment...Where does this bs stop? Banning lead does nothing but drive up cost like everything else in big brother does. Ever hear of the periodic table? Lead occurs naturally.
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
cib11b

Post by cib11b »

senkoskipper wrote:I think the ban should be passed. Its already been determined that Lead is dangerous and its already banned in childrens toys, just makes sense to ban it on fishing products too.
Ya good idea.. Because the lead my father and his father used to fish with killed them. Their toys with lead based paint also sealed the deal.. Oh wait no it didn't.. LEAD DIDN'T DO ****! :roll:
Ohh son!! That's a 4, 5 ,7 8, 12 punder son!!

2016 Ranger Z175 Lime Green Fusion!
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

I got the same email. Deleted!!!!

Don't Bite down on the split shots.

Good Fishin
If you do nothing expect nothing!
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

I think you are a complete idiot.
I just determined that so I think you sir should be banned. :twisted:
just shut up and fish

Post by Guest »

:roll: wait i have right at 2500 pounds of lead ingots :twisted: let them try to come take it
Marc

Post by Marc »

Then you should also be for a ban on the Salt in the Senko's you are skipping because salt is toxic and contributes to more deaths; yet it is found on almost every dinner table.

Let me clue you in on an environmental and medical fact; too much of anything is toxic and may kill; that doesn't make it bad. Believe it or not, drinking water can be toxic and can kill, so I suppose it should also be banned? Just how many people or animals do you personally know who have been damaged by lead (afterall, you claim it is such a big problem)? I have handled lead more than anyone I personally know, and I had my blood tested this past year. No detectable level of lead. Where is the problem? Don't buy into the hysteria; there is a bigger agenda by those who spread the hysteria.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

Marc wrote:
Then you should also be for a ban on the Salt in the Senko's you are skipping because salt is toxic and contributes to more deaths; yet it is found on almost every dinner table.

Let me clue you in on an environmental and medical fact; too much of anything is toxic and may kill; that doesn't make it bad. Believe it or not, drinking water can be toxic and can kill, so I suppose it should also be banned? Just how many people or animals do you personally know who have been damaged by lead (afterall, you claim it is such a big problem)? I have handled lead more than anyone I personally know, and I had my blood tested this past year. No detectable level of lead. Where is the problem? Don't buy into the hysteria; there is a bigger agenda by those who spread the hysteria.

ciao,
Marc

X2

California banned the lead wheel weights used to balance our tires.
Next time you go have your wheels balanced at the local tire shop they will put steel weights on instead.
The steel weights are much larger. The size of them is not the biggest concern. The problem with them is they are made of steel witch is not soft like lead. They are much much harder to bend and shape to fit your wheel. Clamping them to the rim has become very difficult due to this.
The tire guys are having a hell of a time.

I wondered why they banned them. Its not like I see lead wheel weights laying all over the ground in parking lots and such.
A tire shop told me it has to do with disposal of the used weights.

So if you think there is no chance of banning lead in lures think again.
just shut up and fish
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

Think about all the small tackler business that cannot afford to switch to a tungsten manufacturing process, if this passes your options for tackle just got real small.
Just for kicks I checked on some prices jigs go from 3 to over 7 and 8 bucks apiece
Something else to think about is the law of supply and demand. Tungsten drop shot weights are used by a small number of fisherman because of the high price ( I am one) but there is now way those three or four companies can keep up with demand. He'll it's hard for them to keep up with what demand they have now. Now you go and add 10 million more customers. eBay will go nuts just on terminal tackle. How many companies make split shot cylinder weights made of tungsten, spinnerbaits, take the lead out of crankbaits and the price will go up because of the price of tungsten. And that just right sound your favorite bait makes will not be the same

I think the industry sees the writing on the wall, buts that's just it large companies know and can afford the transition Joe spinnerbait who barely makes aliving out of his garage is totally hosed, aka more people out of work in the worst time to be out of work

And it's not like they will do this over a couple years these idiots will want it to take effect 1jan 2011

I personally feel sorry for the individuals who scrape every penny just to enjoy this sport, who is looking out for them not these idiots.

Walt kondracki

Bismath is another option but than again it's a compromise you have to use larger sizes to get the same weight
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

just how long until they determine Bismath and tungsten to be bad for the enviroment?
Its all about power, money ,greed, and idiots.
just shut up and fish
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

jimmy87 wrote:
Marc wrote:

ciao,
Marc

X2

California banned the lead wheel weights used to balance our tires.
Next time you go have your wheels balanced at the local tire shop they will put steel weights on instead.
The steel weights are much larger. The size of them is not the biggest concern. The problem with them is they are made of steel witch is not soft like lead. They are much much harder to bend and shape to fit your wheel. Clamping them to the rim has become very difficult due to this.
The tire guys are having a hell of a time.

I wondered why they banned them. Its not like I see lead wheel weights laying all over the ground in parking lots and such.
A tire shop told me it has to do with disposal of the used weights.

So if you think there is no chance of banning lead in lures think again.
Maybe dogs were getting lead poisoning from chasing cars?...yeah it's a dumb answer but no dumber than the lead ban in the first place...
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Buzzbommer

Post by Buzzbommer »

Hey all...

This ban could possibly be the biggest slap in the face for us bait manufacturers that the world has ever seen. In the face of a plummetting economy, increase in job losses, and a particular decrease of small business succeses in the 'Golden State...' the government would try to pass this law. And destroy what we have worked so hard to acheive, over a natural element.

We still are enduring an oil crisis of epic proportions both overseas and floating on our own homeland waters... but the current administration is more concerned with their public image than our safety and security. Check out the news to see otherwise...

I realize, the ban on lead is a state issue and subject to the overseeing and implementing by our states lead officials. And that scares the hell out of me. This state is in disaster status and in need of such help that not even Arnold knows where to turn to.

It's simple math for politicians...

Ban lead, (force us to find an alternative) we find an alternative at an outrageous price, and they tax the wind out of us... higher price equals higher taxes right...? (Us) being those that are able to remain in this state conducting legitimate businesses...

This is a serious matter and nothing to him-and-haw about. Think about the saltwater industry... they are royally f'd also... all that weight that has to be x-ferd to another source...? Why...? Is this state trying to screw itself into the ground...?

Holy Lord...!!! We can see it coming and they (the state officials) are (possibly) making it happen regardless... sounds scarily familiar... ChrisR
senkoskipper

Post by senkoskipper »

Marc wrote:

ciao,
Marc
Please show me a government report that bans salt in childrens toys? Mercury used to be handled regulary by students in science class because no one knew at the time it was toxic. Try bringing a cup of mercury to school now and see what happens.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Buzzbommer wrote:Hey all...

This ban could possibly be the biggest slap in the face for us bait manufacturers that the world has ever seen. In the face of a plummetting economy, increase in job losses, and a particular decrease of small business succeses in the 'Golden State...' the government would try to pass this law. And destroy what we have worked so hard to acheive, over a natural element.

We still are enduring an oil crisis of epic proportions both overseas and floating on our own homeland waters... but the current administration is more concerned with their public image than our safety and security. Check out the news to see otherwise...

I realize, the ban on lead is a state issue and subject to the overseeing and implementing by our states lead officials. And that scares the hell out of me. This state is in disaster status and in need of such help that not even Arnold knows where to turn to.

It's simple math for politicians...

Ban lead, (force us to find an alternative) we find an alternative at an outrageous price, and they tax the wind out of us... higher price equals higher taxes right...? (Us) being those that are able to remain in this state conducting legitimate businesses...

This is a serious matter and nothing to him-and-haw about. Think about the saltwater industry... they are royally f'd also... all that weight that has to be x-ferd to another source...? Why...? Is this state trying to screw itself into the ground...?

Holy Lord...!!! We can see it coming and they (the state officials) are (possibly) making it happen regardless... sounds scarily familiar... ChrisR
I don't think this is simply a "state" issue.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

Some additional facts to consider:

The center for biological diversity is the same group that:

- Ended trout stocking at hundreds of locations in California, and continues to sue the CA DFG to further restrict trout stocking

- Caused the closure of Alameda Creek to all fishing, including the back ponds at Shadow Cliffs

Keep these things in mind and consider the larger agenda. No group is foolish enough to try to end recreational fishing outright, but some are plenty clever enough to chip away at it and chip away at it and then one day you wake up and there's 100 rules limiting where you can fish and how you can fish and whether you can fish at all.