What's the trick?

620 Dude

What's the trick?

Post by 620 Dude »

Was out yesterday using a Punker and I had lot's of followers 5/10lbs but they would only swirl under the bait. What could I have done different?...I mainly used a steady cadence on retrieve .I also noticed they would be real close to the boat before you saw them swirl on it.
Any Help would be appreciated. I only have one color...it's green and silver (molded)
DanIsaac

Re: What's the trick?

Post by DanIsaac »

follow up with a ripbait, and HANG ON!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
finatical

Post by finatical »

When stripers wont commit on top, try the following:
1) Down size to smaller sized surface lure.
2) Try a more subtle approach by using a 'V' waking type bait.
3) Go subsurface w/ a fluke or jerkbait.

Good luck.
Work hard fish harder!
620 Dude

Post by 620 Dude »

Thanks,I'll give it a Try!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Don't hesitate to put that Punker down if they won't take it. The stripers have not been fully committing to the topwater baits like they were back in late August and thru September. The big shad schools have been pushed deeper out into the River channels and that's where the best striper fishing is right now.

As Dan said, pick up a ripbait! Lines sides are busting the chartrues shad Pointers! Use the shallow billed baits around the openings when yer fishing the current flows and shallow tops of the ledges. Then pick up the DD 100 when yer looking for them in 9-20 feet areas. Upgrade yer hooks, and back off the drag, then hang on!!!!!!! We've also been doing well whith a White Hair Raiser with a chartrues Hyper Stryper tail. 3/4 Rodstrainer Shim jig bounced thru the schools sitting in 15-30 foot along the edges. Look for em on yer graph near the drop offs with lottsa current near openings, points and channel bends!

The ripbait has been a striper killer the past two weeks!