50 cents to cross the Antioch Bridge?...I found

Shad*Wizard

50 cents to cross the Antioch Bridge?...I found

Post by Shad*Wizard »

a ticket stub for the Antioch Bridge from Oct. of 1982...It was only $.50...Ah, the good old days...Showed it to the guys at Loma today and they all laughed...
Andy Giannini

Re: 50 cents to cross the Antioch Bridge?...I found

Post by Andy Giannini »

You need to clean out your truck more often.

:mrgreen:
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

I can remember when the bay bridge was a quarter and everyone was complaining.

The powers tha be said that the toll would only last until they collected enought money to pay for the construction of the bridge this was about 1939 I remember it clearly because of the big hulabaloo that was going on about it, My father was making 40 cents an hour driving an Oxygen and acetelyne for truck for Airco in Emeryville, he worked 60 hours a week for 24 dollars.

Jim
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Jim Conlow Sr. wrote:My father was making 40 cents an hour driving an Oxygen and acetelyne for truck for Airco in Emeryville, Jim
Oh my, now there's a blast from the past, my little league baseball team when I was 10-13, was sponsored by Airco! We used ta go accross the street from Nichol's Park after every game and engulf tons of Cheese Burgers fer 10 cents.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Cooch wrote:Oh my, now there's a blast from the past, my little league baseball team when I was 10-13, was sponsored by Airco! We used ta go accross the street from Nichol's Park after every game and engulf tons of Cheese Burgers fer 10 cents.
Now see, a photo of you in your little league uniform from when you were 10-13 would be priceless! Not sure photos actually last THAT long but... Just sayin'. :D

sTony
Grant

Post by Grant »

Cooch wrote:Oh my, now there's a blast from the past, my little league baseball team when I was 10-13, was sponsored by Airco! We used ta go accross the street from Nichol's Park after every game and engulf tons of Cheese Burgers fer 10 cents.

Weren't they called bronto burgers back in those days?
FishDiver

Post by FishDiver »

I lived in Pittsburg in the early 80's. I remember paying 40 cents for some bridge I crossed frequently. Was that the Martinez bridge?
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Shad*Wizard wrote:a ticket stub for the Antioch Bridge from Oct. of 1982...It was only $.50
But minimum wage was only 3.35 at the time!
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

sTony wrote:
Now see, a photo of you in your little league uniform from when you were 10-13 would be priceless! Not sure photos actually last THAT long but... Just sayin'. :D

sTony
Tony thats silly they didnt have cameras back then ... maybe a cave painting :lol:
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
sTony

Post by sTony »

fish_food wrote:
Shad*Wizard wrote:a ticket stub for the Antioch Bridge from Oct. of 1982...It was only $.50
But minimum wage was only 3.35 at the time!

Okay, so keeping it in that perspective, is minimum wage now, what, like $30 bucks. Costs me $5 without the trailer to cross currently? Current minimum wage in California is $8.00 an hour. So cost to cross based on the percentage it used to cost of your minimum hourly rate, the fee should be about a buck and half to two dollars.

sTony
Scott E.

Post by Scott E. »

Jim Conlow Sr. wrote:I can remember when the bay bridge was a quarter and everyone was complaining.

The powers tha be said that the toll would only last until they collected enought money to pay for the construction of the bridge this was about 1939 I remember it clearly because of the big hulabaloo that was going on about it, My father was making 40 cents an hour driving an Oxygen and acetelyne for truck for Airco in Emeryville, he worked 60 hours a week for 24 dollars.

Jim
Jim, I remember my Grandpa (lived in Anaheim) would tell me about working for 25 cents an hour that year removing orange tree stumps with mules. My grandma worked at "the alcohol plant" (rubbing alcohol) for 20 cents an hour. My dad remembers playing football in the yard with a ball they made out of my grandma's old nylons stuffed with a big soup can and sawdust in the mid 40's (couldn't "waste" money on something as foolish as a ball). My grandpa and grandma saved enough money to buy the house they were renting for 5,000...He ALWAYS would tell me "a penny saved is a penny earned". In those days it was extremely literal!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ha !!! It cost me $ 11.25 to cross any bridge with the Pete and the trailer. ( 5 axles )
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms