Striper areas

stkbass

Striper areas

Post by stkbass »

I've got 2 guys coming from out of town that are dying to get on a big topwater striper bite. They've heard about our awesome topwater stiper action in the fall and has some very high hopes this weekend. I've tried the Stockton and Mildred areas last week and this week with no success. I usually stay in these areas but I'm thinking about trying the tracy oasis area or big break/sherman island. I just want them to get on some topwater action and show them how crazy it feels when you get a big hit on a punker. I don't want to let them down because they've been waiting all year for this.

Has anyone been out there lately? Or does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks. :)
925_Angler

Re: Striper areas

Post by 925_Angler »

unless you find them boiling somewhere, it'll be tough to get on a good topwater bite right now ... been doin well on swimbaits n bucktails lately... slowest presentation imaginable, so slow you almost fall asleep :(

bb and sherman area should have fish, as well as everywhere else on the delta right now ... pay attn to your FF, they are out there schooled up :mrgreen:
C&R stripers!
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

There are some good sized "schoolies" around Brown's Is. in the #10 range right now. Water is really dirty and the fish seem to be lathargic for any topwater.

SB's Paddle Tails in the 5" and rattle baits have worked - but like 925 said ... The best have been finding a deep hole to 18' and tossing a fast sink BBZ-1 in shad ... and reeling it back through the hole as slow as I can after it sinks past the 10' depth. The white/redeye stacy rip bait as well on long pauses. For some reason they never really tapped the buck jig with the hyperstryper tail in chart/white.

Water temp now is 49/51. Pittsburg has a free launch if you wish to launch from there.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

stkbass wrote:I've got 2 guys coming from out of town that are dying to get on a big topwater striper bite. They've heard about our awesome topwater stiper action in the fall and has some very high hopes this weekend. I've tried the Stockton and Mildred areas last week and this week with no success. I usually stay in these areas but I'm thinking about trying the tracy oasis area or big break/sherman island. I just want them to get on some topwater action and show them how crazy it feels when you get a big hit on a punker. I don't want to let them down because they've been waiting all year for this.

Has anyone been out there lately? Or does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks. :)
Unfortunately STKB, yer buddies have missed it! That "crazy topwater" action you speak of, really happens from late August thru mid October. As the water temps cool like they have, the forage goes deeper, and you gotta start bottom bouncin ta catch em! We've caught a number of fish on the Pointer DD100 and Stacey Aurora while rippin for blackies, but they've been small and few between. The better fish for us, have come on the hair jigs, slowly bounced on the bottom. As both Dan & 925 mention, ya gotta look for em deeper, and yer elctronics are te key to finding them. I personally have all but given up on the stripers right now for the year and the TW baits got put away 3 weeks ago!
925_Angler

Post by 925_Angler »

went outa lauritzens in my buddys b-boat around noonish today ... we zoomed zoomed all over the SJ , got about a dozen 5-8lb schoolies on rattle traps n hyper stripers and to my suprise, a couple blowups on topwater late afternoon... apparently they are still willing to play up top... stuck a nice one around 18-20lbs on the lunker punker ... dead stickin for about 2-3 seconds between glides , KA BOOM :mrgreen:
C&R stripers!
stkbass

Post by stkbass »

925_Angler wrote:went outa lauritzens in my buddys b-boat around noonish today ... we zoomed zoomed all over the SJ , got about a dozen 5-8lb schoolies on rattle traps n hyper stripers and to my suprise, a couple blowups on topwater late afternoon... apparently they are still willing to play up top... stuck a nice one around 18-20lbs on the lunker punker ... dead stickin for about 2-3 seconds between glides , KA BOOM :mrgreen:
Where is lauritzens?? What part of the SJ, it's just so big...goes from Stockton to Antioch....thanks.
SLoGiN

Post by SLoGiN »

lauritzens is on big break
925_Angler

Post by 925_Angler »

stkbass wrote:
925_Angler wrote:went outa lauritzens in my buddys b-boat around noonish today ... we zoomed zoomed all over the SJ , got about a dozen 5-8lb schoolies on rattle traps n hyper stripers and to my suprise, a couple blowups on topwater late afternoon... apparently they are still willing to play up top... stuck a nice one around 18-20lbs on the lunker punker ... dead stickin for about 2-3 seconds between glides , KA BOOM :mrgreen:
Where is lauritzens?? What part of the SJ, it's just so big...goes from Stockton to Antioch....thanks.
lauritzens is right next to the antioch bridge ... we covered waters from collinsville to franks tract in roughly 6 hours ,hitting all our fav spots in between ...
C&R stripers!
stkbass

Post by stkbass »

Well, we went out today! Total fish = 1 dink!

Decided to go south instead, went out to Tracy Oasis area early morning, no activity, no birds, no fishing jumping anywhere. Water temp was 45 degress. COLD!! That probably explains why. Threw top water got only 1 swirl, missed, but looked small. Lost one on a broken back rapala, but pulled like a dink. Then caught a dink on a rattle trap. Graphed fish in 10-20 ft of water. Tried jigging, swimbaits, jerkbaits for nada. Almost threw my 8 inch Huddleston at them just for fun, Arrrggg!! Finally, gave up and came home. Several boaters drifting minnows and gills for nada either.

Conclusion: Go somewhere else...

I don't think my friends are ever coming back for striper action here... :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the input guys, hope you guys do better than me.