We have lost a great friend

Ron C

We have lost a great friend

Post by Ron C »

It is with a very heavy heart that I report the passing of Val White, the long-time owner of Val's Action Tackle in Chatsworth, CA. Val died suddenly on Tuesday of an apparent heart attack.

Val was one of the good guys and a long-time tournament angler in the Southern California area. He would always go out of his way to help those who came into his shop and he is responsible for getting many people started in both fresh and saltwater fishing.

By mere chance, I happened to stop in to see Val a little over a week ago and he and I had a great talk about family, friends, and of course fishing. I thank God for guiding me into his shop and allowing me to spend some precious time with my old friend before his sudden passing.

Please keep Val's family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

God Bless You, my friend. I will miss you.
Last edited by Ron C on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topwater Terry

I was afraid of this....

Post by Topwater Terry »

My dad had walked by his store today and said the fire dep. was there, with Val's history of heart problems, that did not sound good to me. Val was certainly one of the good guys. Growing up down on the river, I needed to make some big adjustments to fish these local reservoirs. I remember one day way back in about 1994, I walked into Val's shop and told him I needed some purple illusion and reverse green weenie worms, cuz that is what I read had been working at Castaic. Val led me right to the row of Angler's choice worms and said those were the ones, and they did work! He was always willing to give some advise. I bet Val is already joking around with his friend Tom Stout in that big pond in the sky...
mark poulson

Re: We have lost a great friend

Post by mark poulson »

Sad news indeed.
On behalf of the Castaic Bass Club, who Val has supported so generously throughout the years with both advice for our members, and tons of product for our club's raffles, I would like to offer our deep condolences to his family.
He will be missed.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

what a shocker, val is one of the true good guys of the industry. great man and great person. so sad to hear this. r.i.p. val you will be missed.. phil. Scott A. if i can be of any help, in any way. you know im here for you and val's family. very sad day indeed :(
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Oh dear....Val was a great guy and a founding member of West Valley Bassmasters. So sorry to hear of his passing...
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The services for Val will be this Saturday, arrangements are being set up and should be posted when available.
Tom
shpiii

Post by shpiii »

I lost a great friend in Val. After moving to Redding in 2002 I would only see him on trips south. I planned on seeing him next week.

I am saddened by this news and may God bless him. Peace and Blessings to his family.

Maybe he and Al Marshall are out on the water today!

Syd Parsons
Ron C

Post by Ron C »

A Memorial Service for our dear friend Val White will be held this Saturday, December 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM at:

St John Baptist De La Salle Church
16535 Chatsworth St. (at the corner of Chatsworth and Hayvenhurst)
Granada Hills, CA 91344-6705
(818) 368-1514

The dress is casual - just as Val would have wanted it.
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

thanks ron for posting that up. i hope to see you and all val's friends there as well.
Ron C

Post by Ron C »

shpiii wrote:Maybe he and Al Marshall are out on the water today!
Along with our friend Dave Keys.
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

Ron C wrote:
shpiii wrote:Maybe he and Al Marshall are out on the water today!
Along with our friend Dave Keys.
and tom stout.... been a bad year for our fishing friends :(
szuloaga

Post by szuloaga »

I have to add Dave Roberson to that list of anglers who are hopefully on the waters of heaven as well as the others listed. Sorry to hear about Val. I didn't know him but, I do know what it's like losing a good friend unfortunately. :( Guys take it easy!

Steve
Ron C

Post by Ron C »

Val's Action Tackle is the oldest independent tackle store in the San Fernando Valley. When I first started bass fishing in the 70's, Val's store was located on Roscoe Bl. across from the old Roscoe Drive-In theater (which is also long since gone). He moved his store to its current location in the early 80's and has been there ever since. It was a very small store, but because Val was himself a bass fisherman, he kept it stocked with what the guys wanted and needed. If he didn't have what you wanted, he'd order it for you right away and his prices were always competitive. But perhaps the biggest thing that Val had was outstanding customer service and compassion. He would go out of his way to help everyone, even those whom he competed against. Not only are independent tackle stores on the decline in today's e-world, but so are the Val Whites of the world.
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

Ron C wrote:Val's Action Tackle is the oldest independent tackle store in the San Fernando Valley. When I first started bass fishing in the 70's, Val's store was located on Roscoe Bl. across from the old Roscoe Drive-In theater (which is also long since gone). He moved his store to its current location in the early 80's and has been there ever since. It was a very small store, but because Val was himself a bass fisherman, he kept it stocked with what the guys wanted and needed. If he didn't have what you wanted, he'd order it for you right away and his prices were always competitive. But perhaps the biggest thing that Val had was outstanding customer service and compassion. He would go out of his way to help everyone, even those whom he competed against. Not only are independent tackle stores on the decline in today's e-world, but so are the Val Whites of the world.
well said ron. see you saturday
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Ron, thank you for posting the funeral information.
I stopped by to chat with Val last week as I have done for so many years, he was a friend and will be missed. Know one knew the local bass fishing history and anglers that make it up better than Val, he lived it. Action Tackle was home to both local weekend anglers and some of today's and yesterday's elite bass anglers and was the cornerstone to a lot of life long friendships.
Tom