Optima starting battery question

Rob Dickson

Optima starting battery question

Post by Rob Dickson »

What optima starting battery would you guys recommend to use. I have a ranger 522 w/ a 225 optimax. My current battery is getting week after only a year and these cold mornings aren't helping. This weekend it wouldn't even start and I couldn't jump off my trolling motor battery.
Thanks,
Rob Dickson
Allantek

Re: life of the battery

Post by Allantek »

Did you check the water in the Battery?
Allantek

www.bass-tek.com
www.theswimshade.com
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

Optima blue top 34m for your cranking battery.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
MCSPIN

Post by MCSPIN »

Don't forget your MCSPINS
A good bait for all seasons
Remember Clean & Dry
www.Linexwest.com
www.Anglersmarine.com
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basssssman&search=Search
http://www.myspace.com/mcspinns
fishinfool145

Re: Optima starting battery question

Post by fishinfool145 »

Just buy the regular red top. The blue top is their "marine" batery and just like everything else for a boat, it costs more.

I've been running the red top in my boats for years. When ever the batter in the truck dies, I yank the battery out of the boat, install it in the truck, then buy a fresh one for the boat. In twelve years of doing this, I've never had a problem with an opti on the water.

Be aware that there are two sizes avalilable in the Red top. The one from costco has an RC rating of 90 min while the larger one is something like 124 min. Of course the cranking amps is higher on the bigger battery, I just can't remember what the #s are, and my battery is burried in my boat.

P.S. If you are thinking about using an optima for a TM battery, I'm not as optimistic. The don't have enough RC for the $ in my opinion.
fishinfool145

Post by fishinfool145 »

I mis-quoted the RC ratings. I went to the web site listed in MCspins post. The larger red top battery has an RC of 104 and MCA of 980. The small red top is 90/870.

By comparison, the blue top is also 104/980, but a few bucks more than the equivilant red. See what your local store can do. When I bought, the price difference was bigger between the red/blue.
Rob Dickson

Post by Rob Dickson »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll call a local battery shop in Riverside where I got my trojan trolling motor batteries. I think they carry Optima batteries. Hopefully I will have it for the ABA @ Perris this weekend.
Thanks again,
Rob Dickson
scottsweet

Check out Lightening Series from Dual Pro

Post by scottsweet »

I have put the Lightning Series from Dual Pro in my boat...the BIG ones (31 Series). While they are expensive, they have performed very well even with everything running all day.

They have far more amperage...
1500 amps 1200 amps 200 minutes 8.3H" X 6.8"W X 13.4" L 69 Lbs.

Check them out at www.dualpro.com. Anglers Marine can get them and I have been told that the major battery distributor in LA has them.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com