What a way to end the year

mac (Doyle McEwen)

What a way to end the year

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

No I didn't catch my first double digit, but Sean Wayman and I did spend the day on Berryessa..We were on the water a little after 7AM and off about 3PM..The weather was cold, but calm, no fog or rain and cloud cover varied throughout the day, with it being completely overcast by the end of the day..We ran up the lake to Putah Creek and started there vy putting a largie in the boat on about my 4th or 5th casr with a tube..It was the only largie we caught all day, it was also the only non-legal sized fish we caught..On the next cast I managed a respectable sized smallie and shortly after that a good spot..We caught fish at almost every plasce we tried, most either on a tube or a smallie beaver rigged on a dart head jig..Sean caught a couple on a drop shot..We didn't get any on reaction baits..It seemed that once you caught two or three from an area, you might as well move to a new one as the bite just died..Overall we put over a dozen in the boat, all but one a leagal sized fish..Our best 5 would have gone around 12-13 pounds..It wasn't the biggest day as far as numbers goes, but it was a great way to end the year..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
DeltaDan

Re: What a way to end the year

Post by DeltaDan »

Nice Mac !

BrothA StockOption also had a very very good day last Thursday on that pond for #13-#14 in 4 hours of fishing with some really healthy CHUNKS.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

that sound like a trip well worth the drive...........Happy new years Mac!!
flipit

Post by flipit »

Love fishing Berryessa during the winter. The fish are very healthy this time of year, :)
Fishing should be fun.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Yeah Steven, thanks to flipit for allowing me to spend the day on his boat..We really did have a great day..Learned a lot and had more fun than staying at home and playing on the computer..I am starting to have a whole lot more confidence catching fish on Berryessa..It is definitely one awesome fishery..There are so many areas of it that I haven't fished yet and I truly hope I get a chance to..

mac
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

No reaction bite?

No jig fish?

The only large mouth was a shorty?

Sounds like my kind of day :wink: !

Happy New Year Mac and everyone else!
I had to come back...I know...
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Right back at you Mike..Maybe we should have tried some top waters for the reaction bite..The water was calm enough for them to see the action from some distance..

mac
Nicknourot

Post by Nicknourot »

Spent a few hours up there this morning, one on a crank bait. 3/4 ounce jig was producing some nice smallies to 3 lbs. no larg mouth either.
TomL

Post by TomL »

Sounds like a great day... also sounds like Berryessa fishing is pretty decent. Don't forget Berryessa Qualifier for CBC Teams next weekend... Find out more on www.CalBassChamps.com

Happy New Year!