Transom Saver

Albert

Transom Saver

Post by Albert »

I'm going to replace my transom saver and was thinking of switching to the Swivl-Eze Lock 'N Stow Motor Stabilizer Lock.
Are you folks that are using one know having any issues?
Most of the reviews I have read are positive with the exception of bushing issues. Has that been addressed?
Thanks,
Albert
Team Snapitoff
Gene Buchholz

Re: Transom Saver

Post by Gene Buchholz »

That is about all i sell at the Hook anymore. I have used one for many years and have had no problems.
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

it works well and easy to trim the motor down to secure it
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'm a little confused.
Isn't a transom saver supposed to take the strain of a heavy motor bouncing up and down while trailering off the transom by transfering the motor's weight to the trailer?
How does a bar that only locks the motor up off it's own mounting brackets, which are bolted to the transom, save the transom?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

I advise againts the Swivl-Eze Lock 'N Stow Motor Stabilizer Lock if you have a smaller boat (rated 125hp and lower). They are fine for larger boats, ones designed for 150 and up, because the transom is designed to handle a greater amount of stress. These larger rated boats endure far more stress on the transom from the engine torque etc when in operation, than they do in tow. The lower rated boats are not designed to handle as much stress and the stress encountered in tow is greater than the pressures and stresses of on the water operation.
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

I never understood the lock'nstow either. If all the weight is still on the transom, does this mean its only purpose is to keep the motor from swinging sideways? Seems to be the case! They call it a stabilizer, so I guess that's it.
There She Is!!!
Trace

Post by Trace »

I have one you can have. Send me a pm
Trace
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

My mechanic advise not to use the swivl Ez Lock as it still puts pressure on the transom. He recommend using the reg transom saver which puts the weight onto the trailer instead of the transom as it bounces.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Get the Moto Stop at C&C marine in Citrus Heights........best motor totor on the market.
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
davetNitro

Post by davetNitro »

The Verado comes with a motor support bracket built in. they recommend using that when towing the boat. Transom Savers ought to have another name, 'deliver shock from trailer to lower unit' on every bump! I never use the 'Transom Saver'.

DaveT

'06 Nitro 911 250 Verado
HDS 10, 8 LSS-1 LWX-1
SonicHub MercMonitor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This topic has been discussed ad nausea on BBC. Good points all around.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=74002

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=171903
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
txbasser

Post by txbasser »

OK I understand the difficulty in answering the question of how am I saving my transom by putting all the weight of the motor onto it? Well it really is simple if you have a traditional system (lower unit to trailer). I want you to do two things; first shake your motor left and right you will be amazed at just how far it will move. Second raise your motor all the way up mount your traditional saver to the lower unit and take a large hammer and hit the bottom of the saver. Please don’t do that, I think we all get the point; all the impact from the road is transferred directly to our transoms. By using a device like Lock-n-Haul you prevent left and right movement due to its in line four point mounting system. The motor cannot move left and right, in addition the trailer can no longer transfer road impact to our transoms. The up and down movement is greatly reduced as well do to there being no play in the four point mounting system. I myself was a huge skeptic of the new systems, and a little hard headed to boot. I have to be honest I bought my system do to some tournament incentives (bonus cash). I quickly realized how naive I was the new system was smaller, lighter, convenient, more secure, and actually a vast improvement to traditional savers. The best part was Jim Smith of Lock-n-Haul paid the bonus money fast and stood by his product. Have no regrets and strongly endorse the new systems particularly the Lock-n-Haul system.
Frank Ramsey
www.nmbassfishing.com
Byron

Post by Byron »

I have to agree with tossing the old style transom savers. My boat came with the traditional style of saver wich I used for the first 2 years. It was the good swivel eeze with the long adjustable engine end. Even with it secured properly with the steel cable on the roller, trimmed down snug it sucked. When I would arrive at the lake or home - the motor would be turned some or the saver would be off the roller and along side of it. Think of the shock the lower unit would take for the saver to jump off the roller. Also the paint rubbing through is real nice on the foot of the motor from the old school savers. I have had no problems with the lock and stow for the last 4 years. I have had people follow me going down the road and they say the motor is rock solid.