HDS Issues since Shasta FLW....?

Rod Wynn

HDS Issues since Shasta FLW....?

Post by Rod Wynn »

Sup Everyone..
I just hooked my HDS8 up for the 1st time since I returned from the Lake Shasta FLW tournament and low and behold a couple of my "soft keys" are not working/responding... :cry:
The "soft keys" that are giving me problems are the 4th and 5th one from the left... So basically the one you use to accept the disclaimer page when you turn your unit on and the one to the right of that one..
I have heard of many "water" issues with these units and I am hoping that this is not the case but for some reason I think I got bitten by it as well because we were dumped on up there with rain...
Ken, somebody help!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
jwick22

Re: HDS Issues since Shasta FLW....?

Post by jwick22 »

SOFT RESET!
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

jwick22 wrote:SOFT RESET!
You sure JDub..?
Imma give it a try when I get my batteries back in my boat..
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Here, you need to buy this special tool to get it working again.

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

I'd go with wick on the soft reset But right now I feel like using B's idea on mine I guess its time to get on the phone again :evil:
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

macinckirk wrote:I'd go with wick on the soft reset But right now I feel like using B's idea on mine I guess its time to get on the phone again :evil:
What happened to your Kirk?

BTW..I spoke to Lowrance this morning and they gave me a RA to return the unit..
He said that it takes up to 20 days to be returned from the point where the tech receives it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Rod Wynn wrote:
macinckirk wrote:I'd go with wick on the soft reset But right now I feel like using B's idea on mine I guess its time to get on the phone again :evil:

BTW..I spoke to Lowrance this morning and they gave me a RA to return the unit..
He said that it takes up to 20 days to be returned from the point where the tech receives it.
yeah, i hear ya on the RMA turnaround time. Figure a month before getting your unit back. 3-4 days each way for shipping, then a 1-3 days before a tech touches it, then the "official" 20 days to get it repaired.

Oh, and since your unit is in the shop, have the tech look at the unit light/brightness control. Seems this is a big issue with the units going to near dark while still being powered on even though the brightness is at maximum (10).
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Brian D. wrote:
Rod Wynn wrote:

yeah, i hear ya on the RMA turnaround time. Figure a month before getting your unit back. 3-4 days each way for shipping, then a 1-3 days before a tech touches it, then the "official" 20 days to get it repaired.

Oh, and since your unit is in the shop, have the tech look at the unit light/brightness control. Seems this is a big issue with the units going to near dark while still being powered on even though the brightness is at maximum (10).
I have 2 10's going back for this and mapping problems still, I guess I'll call today as soon as I get back from taking dad over to give up a unit of blood

Nice 6 grand in units and i get to go without them for a month good thing i have 2 27's still
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

I heard from a pro that uses one and raves about it that these hds units are not truly waterproof like the older units Lowrance made. He said there rated on a scale of 1-5 and hds only has a rating of 4 with 1 being superior . To me that is absolutely insane! I'm only guessing but I think its due to the generation of heat from the processing power of these units needs to be dissipated somehow through the casing and there is how the moisture gets in and destroys the electronics. I wonder if the hummers have the same problem!
adman

Post by adman »

In answering your question re: Humminbirds - they have NONE of the mentioned problems. Plus they have without a doubt THE BEST customer service people and policies.

I know this will start an argument and it's not meant to but Lowrance is dead.
jwick22

Post by jwick22 »

I have done soft and HArd resets on my units.....Soft reset is nothing big...You wont lose waypoints.....If you want...Save your waypoints and do a hard reset.....I did one and it helped my units tremendously....
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

Keep in mind those resets do, do wonders for your HDS units.
But they do bring them back to factory settings. And if you bought your units pre Structure Scan, you will loose SS. And SS can't be downloaded from the Lowrance website. Trust me I know.....
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF2__9saXc

I thought it was appropriate. I think it was staged, but he still made his point. I have no affiliation with Humminbird, just a happy customer.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Isn't that the same guy who did the "Show them to me" video? Sure sounds like him. :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY