San Luis Res. Fishing off the dam question?

Luckyfisherman

San Luis Res. Fishing off the dam question?

Post by Luckyfisherman »

Hi, for those that fish at San Luis res. does anyone know if fishing off the dam is prohibited? I have been getting mixed messages. Some people say you can and some say you can't. One Park ranger stated you can as long as your not walking on top of the dam and fishing close to the water where as another park ranger stated you absolutely cannot. Whats the official ruling here.
frankc

Re: San Luis Res. Fishing off the dam question?

Post by frankc »

good question i get the same thing, i go off the basalt and walk the dam and had no problem..... so when you find out let us know......and let us know how the fishing is.....
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

Okay, I finally called the san luis state park headquarters and the park ranger I spoke with stated that fishing off the dam is prohibited. People fishing off the dam are trespassing and will get fined. Anyways I guess I'll be finding new spots to fish because I wouldn't want to pay up to 500 dollars just for fishing.

........I guess I'll be heading out to the forebay instead because I don't fish anywhere else, but off the dam. Will keep everyone posted...
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

So you can't fish off the damn, but you can drive your boat up to it and fish it from the water? I understand this is all fall out from 9-11 but come on. Only in California.
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

You can fish off your boat near the dam, but you cannot be fishing off of any structure on the dam.
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

Thats too bad, I used to catch quite a few fish from the rocks by the trash racks. If they are so afraid of someone blowing up the damn they should rope off the whole strech of the dam. I would think you can load a boat up with more explosives than a person could carry. It's all a bunch of BS.
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

yea, that is strange for me as well. Last year I went out there and fished the dam all evenning till midnight and had no problems, but the rules are rules. Don't want to get in trouble.