COOOOLD CLEAR LAKE TRIP

LV Ba$$

COOOOLD CLEAR LAKE TRIP

Post by LV Ba$$ »

So, Im planning on fishing Clear Lake Thursday with a high in the mid 40's and snow/rain showers expected...taking a buddy of mine who plans on fishing Jumbo minnows. I however, plan on tossing the big baits all day. So, my question is.....Is this a trip you would make yourself (two hour drive, give or take)?

Any insight gentlemen?

Thanks!
David Zachgo
Hipster

Re: COOOOLD CLEAR LAKE TRIP

Post by Hipster »

No,

I would not make that trip.........CL can be so good to you but in the dead of Winter like now so utterly frustrating. that is a long trip for prehaps a bite or two.

Wait a month or so............
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

The fish were up in the shallows last weekend. A/C team on sat 22 pounds was 10th place.
http://www.calbassin.com/Smf/index.php?topic=12016.0
Hopefully this rain will give the lake a little color .It has gotten way to clear.
Its hard to throw big baits and fish minnows . The fish want the minnows setting real still.
Dave
LV Ba$$

Post by LV Ba$$ »

Figures I have five days off and there all s#!t
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

We'd love to have you but....

It rained hard enough yesterday that the runoff is brown coming in at Kelsey, assuming the same around the other creeks. These goofy fish are hard enough to catch in cold water, or stained water, or cold weather. Put together the mix of freshly stained water, unstable weather, and water temp that has dropped several degrees (it had just gotten to 50-51 degrees) in the past two days and honestly, I wouldn't drive the 10 minutes from my house to the county park ramp.

Of course, in one of the tournaments this coming weekend, someone will bring 25+ to the scales, but then again, someone always does.
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

p.s. the clouds just cleared from Mt Konocti long enough for me to see light snow about half way down it.
LV Ba$$

Post by LV Ba$$ »

Thanks Ross, the not driving 10 minutes puts the trip into perspective. I was just gonna reschedule for this Sunday and Monday.

Better conditions in your opinion, sir?
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

Much better if the forecast is accurate. Glad to help.
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

...just got about an inch of snow at lake level.
Rippin and Stickin

Post by Rippin and Stickin »

I would rather fish all day and catch nothing than set on the couch and watch T.V. Go fishing and catch some fish! Fishing in hard conditions can only teach ya new things that come in handy during a tournament...
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Its still snowing up here!!
Dave
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

time to post "some of the best fishing I ever had was a snow storm in ..." I cant tell you how many times I have read that :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

okay I believe you! Got halfway to the lake and my bud said there is 4 inches of ice on the ramp! congrats to the studs who fish this weekend and especially to the ones who bring in 20 pound sacks. I am going to crawl back home curl into a ball and suck my thumb waiting for a better day :) I guess turning 50 has either made me more of a whimp or a wiser man :twisted:
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

Hey Rich,

As I got a little more experienced (read that older), got tired of fishing when I had to instead of when I wanted to, spent way too many days in guide wear (worn down two sets, on third now), I realized something. Don't need to go out on bad days to practice driving the boat in it any more, find the closest marina. Driving halfway across New Mexico towing my boat from a tournament in 4 wheel drive, cured me of wanting to tow a boat in bad conditions, that is what hotels are for. The only thing that I am going to learn fishing out in bad weather is that I am still dumb enough to do it...I would tell my son he is retarded if it was him doing it. Bottom line, there is always tomorrow, it is just fishing, and if tomorrow doesn't come, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

On these kind of days while keeping the wood stove going I have received phone calls from guys having problems on the water and still ended up out there...but at least it was for a better reason.

Time to throw another log on the fire.
LV Ba$$

Post by LV Ba$$ »

Being that I didnt want to drive while it was snowing (since Im from Vegas), I opted to fish Clearlake Sunday and Monday. IM SURE GLAD I DID!

I took two Airmen that I work with for some minnow fishing. We arrived at the lake Sunday morning around 7, bought our minnows and were on the water by 7:30. Water temps started out at 46.8 and reached 47.8 by the end of the day. We fished exclusively on the south end of the lake in front of docks that had nice breaks in front. It didnt take long and we were wacking the crap out of them. We dropshotted, split-shotted and slip bobbered the minnows, with the DS and bobber doing the best. I rigged all of our minnows with a light wire circle hook just to decrease the odds of any gut hooked fish. All in all a wise decision. We had around 15 fish apiece on Saturday with the largest around 7lbs. Tons of 3-4blers and a handful of fives. Sunday was comparable with our largest around six.

I got ancy a few times and picked up a jig and a swimbait which was good for, 4 jig fish and 1 swimbait fish. The swimbait fish was in about 7 feet of water and engulfed a ROF5 Hudd. Suprisingly, it was 4, maybe five pounds. I thought for sure it was a giant when she bit. The jig was one I handtied for Mead with Brown Flat Rubber and the senior size Super Pork in brown.

We had a blast, but I'll be really happy to fish without minnows for comparable results. Thank you to all who chimed in on the trip.

-David Zachgo
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Sounds like a great trip! Maybe This is going to be a great year for the lake. Hey Ross I gotta feeling the older you are getting the more you are slowing down and whacking em even more! Hard to change gears but you cant beat that slow presentation when the time is right. I think I need to get rid of my high speed reels as well. You listen to KVD's schtick and his system is pretty simple ,it is just the insane ability he has to pay attention to what the conditions are telling him. I'll catch up with ya on the water. Have a great night! RR
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Sent you a PM.

Glad you were able to show your friends/co-workers a good time. That's what it is about....memories! Good going.