Protecting our Resources at DVL

WesternLocalAngler

Protecting our Resources at DVL

Post by WesternLocalAngler »

I was amazed to see the amount of Dead Bass brought to the Scales in the last two NBW Bass tournaments at DVL.
Just counting the .20 penalty's accessed by the tournament anglers, I counted approx. 30 Dead Bass.
It's imperative that everyone, tournament anglers and weekend anglers try to do everything possible to keep these BASS alive to be caught again. All anglers should keep a couple of needles in their boat at all times, especially when fishing deep water 30' to 60'. The Bass need to be fizzed after landing and before being put in the livewell. I understand, that sometimes a bass will be hooked in the gill plate and/or the fish will come up to fast after being hooked, but if everyone makes a concience effort everytime we go fishing tournament or not to help these bass live another day, we can protect our precious resources.
Last Chance Bait and Tackle recently had a seminar on the proper way to fizz a bass caught deep, and unfortunately there was not that great of a turn-out. Last Chance also has needles for sale for anglers that might not have one on their boats. They will also give you instructions on how to use these needles to fizz the bass which have been caught in deep water.
I'm a local angler and DVL is my Home Lake.....DVL is a great Bass Fisheree and I want it to remain that way.....Some of the BASS were losing could eventually turn out to be 10 plus pounds.
So Please....Take care of the BASS your catching and give them a chance to swim and get caught again and again.
Rob Dickson

Re: Protecting our Resources at DVL

Post by Rob Dickson »

Like you said sometimes there is nothing you can do ,but for that many fish to come in dead is unacceptable in my opinion. People need to learn how to needle or there wont be any more tourneys out there.
Urban

Post by Urban »

The negative reflection on tournaments associated with tournament caught bass dying aside, killing the right size bass (selective harvest) is almost always a positive for the fishery. You should be more concerned with what the striper population is doing to the potential of catching the next "10 lb bass". Thats the real problem at DVL.
one fish wonder

Post by one fish wonder »

People should do their best to needle and take care of their fish all year round. Sometimes though when the smaller fish come up looking like rock cod from the depths, I dont think even the ER could revive them. It makes you feel a bit better knowing that almost all on a daily basis practice catch and release which is still better than most fisheries. I have heard for years that it is good to remove some of the fish from time to time to help the fisherie. IS this true? If so, than every once and a while losing a few might not hurt. Please clarify on this last bit.
www.quiksilver.com
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Todd-

That is true about harvesting. Vail Lake is a great example of how not harvesting seems to stunt the growth. Perhaps Kwin can come on here and talk about it.

Obviously, the organization is there to assist the anglers and provide extra care should teams need it. However, it's apparent that we still have teams who aren't needling and if they are, they aren't doing it right.

Brian
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Urban wrote:The negative reflection on tournaments associated with tournament caught bass dying aside, killing the right size bass (selective harvest) is almost always a positive for the fishery. You should be more concerned with what the striper population is doing to the potential of catching the next "10 lb bass". Thats the real problem at DVL.
Good Point..
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Leaving the question of the value of selective harvest aside, the real problem with weighing in dead fish is that it reflects badly on the tournament organization, and could eventually lead to the DFG revoking their permits.
DFG takes fish mortality at tournaments very seriously, and they do monitor weighins and how many fish die.
If an organization continually shows high mortality in their weighin reports to DFG, which they have to file after each tournament, they run the risk of having DFG revoke their permits.
It's that simple.
So anglers who like to fish tournaments owe it to the tourney organization to take good care of their fish. Otherwise, they put the very tournaments they love to fish in jeopardy.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
npangler

Post by npangler »

I believe I see this problem every year and nothing gets done, I think its time the tourny officials up the penalty for bringing a dead fish to the scales. I wish there was a better way to deal with the problem but I dont see one.
maybe if the penalty was stiffer guys would make more of an effort to take care of there fish.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

How about you get half the weight of the dead fish instead of -.2 pounds...no culling a dead bass....Now you'll see some needles fly
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
npangler

Post by npangler »

I was under the impression you could not cull a dead fish, anyone know the rule on that ?
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

No org. allows a dead fish to be culled
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kelly Ripa wrote:How about you get half the weight of the dead fish instead of -.2 pounds...no culling a dead bass....Now you'll see some needles fly
In the case of fish that died because they weren't needled, that makes sense.
But how do you tell the difference between a fish that wasn't needled, and one that died because it was gut hooked, for example?
Maybe it would be obvious to you, and I just don't know enough to see the difference. :oops:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DL

Post by DL »

mark poulson wrote:
In the case of fish that died because they weren't needled, that makes sense.
But how do you tell the difference between a fish that wasn't needled, and one that died because it was gut hooked, for example?
Maybe it would be obvious to you, and I just don't know enough to see the difference. :oops:
The weighmaster needles the dead fish in front of the angler and the TD. If air comes out, guess what: you're ___________(insert colorful metaphor here.) Until someone gets DQ'd for not fizzing their fish this will continue to happen. NBW is not the only org this happens too. Rules are often reactionary which is unfortunate for the resource. Supposed cheating at Havasu and actual cheating at the Open has spawned new "reactionary" rules. The lack of fizzing fish happens at every event, even in the summer...but yet all we have is a .20 penalty for dead fish...

Yes fish will come up too fast, but we know when fish are bloated. How hard is it to look in your livewell every few minutes to make sure your fish are upright. I do this whether they are caught deep or not, I just don't want to kill my fish for lack of water etc etc.

I still think anglers need to be penalized more severely for bringning in bloated fish, dead or not. :evil:
"Feel the steel"
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Effectively immediately, all anglers weighing in dead fish in my tournaments will be subject to a nasty game of "butts up." The team in question will kneel down in front of the trailer and every team will get to throw a tennis ball from 25 feet. Whoever can wedge the ball between the buns wins the derby. What do you think? lol
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Brian Linehan wrote:Effectively immediately, all anglers weighing in dead fish in my tournaments will be subject to a nasty game of "butts up." The team in question will kneel down in front of the trailer and every team will get to throw a tennis ball from 25 feet. Whoever can wedge the ball between the buns wins the derby. What do you think? lol
screw tennis balls, use one of those small rubber ones they use for handball :)
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Any easy way to cut down on dead/mortally injured fish is to cut the limit down from 5 fish. That may seem drastic to some, but it makes sense if the problem persists, especially for summer and during spawning. This brings me to a little rant on the overall poor treatment of our resources.

For example: a few weeks ago I got my boat in the water at about 1:00 pm to see one of the regulars holding up a few nice fish that were full of eggs at the ramps. he said he caught them first thing in the morning and they were down deep. This means that several large females were brought up from 30 plus feet and thrown in a well for NO good reason. Casitas hardly ever dishes up nice fish these days i hear, and it hurts to see whats left of them get paraded around. Catch Photograph and Release at all our lakes please.
Seen several people at DVL bring nice ones all the way up to the store just to get an "official" weight on their fish. Seems rediculous.

Selective Harvest
I found a thread a while back that discussed the big fish at Casitas getting skinny and such. seems that big headed 7's and 8's are the new teeners there.
Can a place like Casitas, or any other lake that has been cut off from trout benefit from a selective harvest or slot limit?? It would make sense to me to get some of those ratty looking 2 lbers outta there. lowering the food supply means you need to lower demand for food, or the population suffers, right?

catch photograph and release fish asap. Especially the TOADS!!!:)
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

frisbee wrote:
Brian Linehan wrote:Effectively immediately, all anglers weighing in dead fish in my tournaments will be subject to a nasty game of "butts up." The team in question will kneel down in front of the trailer and every team will get to throw a tennis ball from 25 feet. Whoever can wedge the ball between the buns wins the derby. What do you think? lol
screw tennis balls, use one of those small rubber ones they use for handball :)
Well, in that case some of the teams will intentionally not needle so they get the special treatment right Darren, Brian D, and John C?
swank

Post by swank »

All tournaments should have a net or tank and a person to educate and release the fish properly.
WormFisher

Post by WormFisher »

How about a 3 fish limit for tourneys when the surface temp is 55 or lower and a penalty of 1/2 the weight of any dead fish.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

How about not?
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

.2 is good when the fishery averages 2#'s each, DVL is much different. Id say .5# for fish up to 3 lbs, 1# for fish over 3. Things should improve quickly. Gut hooked or non-fizzing. Hate seeing a lot of dead fish. Not wise to ''not care' because other bass die from this or that reason. :?
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
WesternLocalAngler

Post by WesternLocalAngler »

I'm happy to see that all of you BASS Anglers have responded to my post, and hopefully things will change.

I'm kind of Un-Happy about Killing a BASS is a good thing though I understand about harvesting the smaller fish to allow the bigger fish to thrive, although killing any Bass through pure inorgorance, kind of makes me Sick to my stomach. All the fish taken to Scale are 15" are larger and well on their way to becoming BIG Fish.

If you look at the results of the last two NBW tournament's it pretty clear who needs help on taken care of their fish.

It's not a crime to not Know how to properly care for the BASS once caught deep, but it is a crime not to learn how to take care of the BASS after it's brought to your attention.

Once again, I stress the importance of catch and release, and the importance of fizzing of the deep fish that are caught to allow them to be caught again.
DL

Post by DL »

I always aimed for the sack :twisted:
"Feel the steel"
DL

Post by DL »

Kevin wrote:How about not?
Daren likes this
"Feel the steel"
DL

Post by DL »

Brian Linehan wrote:Well, in that case some of the teams will intentionally not needle so they get the special treatment right Darren, Brian D, and John C?
Some teams don't need to bring in bloated fish to get the special treatment at your events... 8)
Attachments
sausage.JPG
sausage.JPG (89.39 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
"Feel the steel"
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Don't be hatin...I need extra love.

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related