2 pos battery switch frying motor electronics

bustout

2 pos battery switch frying motor electronics

Post by bustout »

I have read several times on this forum that if you have a Perko 2 pos switch and are switching between batteries or truning off while the engine is running would fry the motor's electronics...For years on all my boats, I would have the switch in the position which has the stronger battery to crank, then once running, I would move the switch to the other batter needing charge (from trolling mtr) or to the "all" position.

I have done this on 3 different boats so far (mercrusier i/o, 200hp efi merc, 70hp 4 str evinrude).....am I extremely lucky?

Until I read about frying my electronics, I thought I had a good system going. On the 4 str evinrude, one time the 2nd battery was basically dead and when I switch over, the engine would die (i thought the engine could run on its alternator). One my old mercruiser....the engine would lug (due to load on alternator) but not die.

Anyone experience frying their electronics due to moving the switch while running?

thanks
Tarpon120

Re: 2 pos battery switch frying motor electronics

Post by Tarpon120 »

Per the manufacturer, it looks like you can switch between the 1&2 battery position at any time. There is a caution statement that advises not to switch "OFF" while the engine is running though. Check it out youself here;

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/battery_switches/

Seems to me that they should incorporate some sort of button or latch on the switch that you have to push to put it in the OFF position. That way you have to take an extra step (and an added layer of protection) before possibly damaging your motor or onboard electronics.......