Tandem trailer question

Bruce Theriot

Tandem trailer question

Post by Bruce Theriot »

Have a tandem trailer and it's a b***h to move around in the garage! What do you guys us to move them around? I was told that a pop up axel could be installed, anyone have info on where could I find a place to have it done? Thanks Bruce
GregD

Re: Tandem trailer question

Post by GregD »

I've got the same problem. To get my boat in the garage I have to get it almost all the way in and then pivot the toungue around so that the lowered/turned motor is right back in the back/right corner and the nose of the boat is in the opposite left/front corner.

At least my boat is a BassCat. They make a pop axle kit for their trailers and I have on one order but I have not yet received it. I'll be able to get the wheels from one axle off the ground to make maneuvering easier once I've installed it. I do not know if BassCat will make the kit for other brands of trailer.

In the meantime, I lay cardboard down on the garage floor such that the trailer whees roll on top of it when it's time to make the "pivot". The cardboard seems to make the wheels scrub on the smooth concrete easier. I then just grab the toungue and put my weight into it to pivot the trailer around. Pain in the butt... but it does the job while I wait for the pop axle kit to come from BassCat.
Greg
adman

Post by adman »

There are little dollies made expressly for this issue (I think for cars originally). I don't remember the brand name but I think there are several brands some more expensive than others. A fellow I fished with last year bought some and said they work perfectly. They are a much simpler solution than re-building the axles on your trailer I think...
adman

Post by adman »

swordfish

Post by swordfish »

There you have your solution. If the nascar boys can use these dollys to slide cars the boat will be no problem. my answer as well. Hopefully you will only need two not four.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
GregD

Post by GregD »

adman wrote:There are little dollies made expressly for this issue (I think for cars originally). I don't remember the brand name but I think there are several brands some more expensive than others. A fellow I fished with last year bought some and said they work perfectly. They are a much simpler solution than re-building the axles on your trailer I think...
I tried putting one set of axles up on dollies that I bought from Harbor Freight, but for some reason I couldn't move the trailer after that. I don't know if the brakes were locking up for some reason or the the tires were binding on the fenders? I didn't spend too much time trying to figure it out. I just went ahead and ordered the pop axle kit.

Installing the kit doesn't involve rebuilding the axle. It just a bracket bolted on to the frame. You pull the two front wheels up onto blocks to compress the front axle springs. Then the brackets can lock the springs in a compressed position. Back off the blocks and the front wheels stay up off the ground.
Greg
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Go Jacks ........

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Murph

Post by Murph »

Like the cardboard, I use an assortment of Plastic. Weigh bags, visqueen, Garbage bags, etc. The Pop axle was the best, when I had a "Cat".
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
Top'r

Post by Top'r »

I had the same exact problem a few years ago. I order'd a Power Dolly from powermoverinc.net
Had it shipped & delivered in a week. It was the dual wheel 1/2 horsepower electric model. It worked perfectly, and would push/pull my Champion on tandem axle trailer with ease. I would highly recommend them to anyone............ Clay
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

I use the wheel dollies from Harbor Freight. Get the boat in about the way I want it, push it back so the trailer will clear the door, pop the dollies on the front axle and lift the wheels off the ground. Then just push the boat sideways so the motor is tucked back in the alcove. The hardest part is getting the boat lined up in the garage. It has to be exactly right or it won't work. If I get it right, from wheels in the garage to door down takes less than 5 minutes.

NoCAL
Old dog

Post by Old dog »

I have had a tandem for 10 years. A friend told me to put visquine(?) plastic down on the garage floor. I experimented with several layouts and for me it works great. The key is not to skrimp on the plastic. You must use more than one layer, 3 works great for me. I use a piece that is 8-10 feet long, so the tires are always on the plastic when spinning the trailer on the floor. One piece 6' wide folded twice to make it 2' wide, one under each set of wheels. The layers allow the trailer tires to rotate without binding. The two most important things besides the layers of plastic are, make sure your tires are fully inflated and crank the boat up as high as posible in the front. I am 60 years old and I can still move my 21 footer with just a little effort.
DAVE MOEN
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

Thanks for the replies, will try them to see which works best.
Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel »

I have used small plastic cutting boards for years
$3-$5. Trailer spins really easy. For a long time I used
two under the tires of one axle which worked
fine then I bought a second set and do all
four tires. Piece of cake.

Dan Daniel
Delta Bass Club