I have an HDS7 at the console, what to put upfront?

Moderator: Ken Sauret

mmalinao

I have an HDS7 at the console, what to put upfront?

Post by mmalinao »

Hey guys,

When my LCX 18 went out I dropped the cash on an HDS7. Now I'm thinking I want to upgrade the LCX 100 that's upfront and I don't know which way I'm going to go. I thought I had it all figured out with the Mark 5x DSI, but then I spoke with someone that just bought it and he said that it's more important to be able to network the 2 finders!

I mean perfect world I would have another HDS7 with structurescan and all the good stuff, but I DO NOT want to drop another $1200 or so.

What set up would you recommend and why?

Thanks,

Mike
-Mike Malinao
Marc

Re: I have an HDS7 at the console, what to put upfront?

Post by Marc »

Personally I agree with your friend, but you have to decide based upon what you can afford and what will make you the happiest. Networking is a huge benefit to me to be able to share waypoints and other information. There is a rebate still on now for HDS units; check the Lowrance web site.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Thanks Mark. If I wanted to network them and be able to share waypoints with say an HDS5 do I need the the gps/sonar or could I use the HDS5x with just sonar?

Thanks,

Mike
-Mike Malinao
Marc

Post by Marc »

No, with the HDS5-5x you get only sonar, no mapping. You can hook up its own sonar transducer, and network them together, but you cannot view gps waypoints on the 5x because it has no mapping page.

On the other hand, you can add an HDS-5m on the bow. This is a "display only unit" meaning that it will display the same information that shows on your HDS-7, both sonar and GPS waypoints. You just connect the two with an ethernet cable from yellow port to yellow port, or through a StructureScan LSS-1 module. But with this option you do not get to hook up a transducer to use on your electric motor (you are viewing the HDS-7 transducer only).

In the end, most of us bass guys go with the HDS-5 for the little extra money, and then you have more value when you sell it used to upgrade to an HDS-8!

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Thanks guys! I'll pick up the HDS5
-Mike Malinao