What brand of Rain Gear?

Robchik

What brand of Rain Gear?

Post by Robchik »

So, the winter rainy season is hopefully behind us... HOPEFULLY. That said what kind of rain gear is preferred among those of you who fish often. I haven a set of Frogg Togg Elites, they are about 4 years old. They've held up great until 2 weeks ago at Clear Lake. Soaked through in an hour and freezing.

I want to start looking now to catch some sales/closeouts

Heard great stuff about BPS 100MPH and Cabelas Guidewear. Anything else? Anyone using North Face gear? I'm looking for something that's insulated this time.
http://www.robchik.com
rich mendoza

Re: What brand of Rain Gear?

Post by rich mendoza »

check out the new columbia pfg gear its pretty nice!
Owner @ canopygrenades.com
Popper

Post by Popper »

I purchase the BPS 2011 pro qualifier bibs/parka a few weeks ago on sale. The rain gear is excellent quality and well though out. And I've used the rain gear twice in some nasty wet storms.
-No issues, design/built well, and well worth the money.
The difference with BPS 100 mile rain gear is that the material is slightly lighter and cost just a few bucks more. It's a nice set, but the reason why I didn't purchase the 100mph suit is that I didn't want to be a walking advertisement board for BASS PRO SHOPS as the logos stand out a mile away. -Bright yellow-
Why do you need a rain suit to withstand winds of 100 MPH or to think you would be running around on a lake at that speed in a storm is beyond me?

The Cabela rain suit is just as nice as the BPS Pro Qualifier. The only difference between the (2) sets is that the Cabelas bib has the gusset that runs across the relief section. The BPS suit zips all the way down with no material in the way during those relief moments on the water. Otherwise the quality is equilvalent to the BPS Pro Qualifier.
Both are excellent rain suits.

Ed
Peacheater81

Post by Peacheater81 »

I got a great deal on a Marmot rain jacket at campmor.com 50% off I think.
adman

Post by adman »

I have the cabellas and love it. Tackle Warehouse has the GILL bibs on sale (they also carry the jacket just not on sale) and Gill makes GREAT stuff, used by all the offshore racing guys. Great collar and the best hood (very important) If I didn't already have the cabellas I'd do the G
Californiakid4

Post by Californiakid4 »

bass pro shops pro qualifier. Last years is on clearance check online store
jcruz

Post by jcruz »

Have no regrets, and purchase the BPS 100 MPH and zip in liner for cold weather.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I have the Cabelas Guide Wear and have never been wet in them, the one downfall is it feels heavy fishing in them all day long. I have never heard anything bad being said about the guidewear or bps 100mph suit, with that said give Gene at the Hook a call, I recall that he stocks Game Hide, a rain gear that is less expensive then the above and performs great. Right now I would look at sales or wait for sales on rain gear - probably in the next month or so and get one of the above you wont go wrong.
ASD

Post by ASD »

BPS 100MPH you wont be sorry you spent the $$ :!:
sgvangler

Post by sgvangler »

BPS 100mph is the $hit, but check out this "NEW" gear:

http://stormsuit.frabill.com/features/
fish4life2010

Post by fish4life2010 »

I roomed with a buddy who had the Frabill outfit during the Clearlake tournament and his crotch was soaked at the end of the day and he was freezing. I would probably go with the bass pro or cabela's.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

fish4life2010 wrote:I roomed with a buddy who had the Frabill outfit during the Clearlake tournament and his crotch was soaked at the end of the day and he was freezing. I would probably go with the bass pro or cabela's.

Has anyone else heard of people having this issue with the storm suit? I have one... Just have not had a chance to test it out yet.
scott h

Post by scott h »

I have the BPS 100MPH gear and after 6 years and an average of 100 days on the water a year they still perform as good as the day I bought them,well worth the extra cash.I have benn in some nasty storms and come home dry every time.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Deltadonnie

Post by Deltadonnie »

[quote="Robchik"]That said what kind of rain gear is preferred among those of you who fish often.

Gill, you can't beat it. Very expensive though, but keeps you dry and warm.
Don Hilton
TEAMDEADMONEY

Post by TEAMDEADMONEY »

This is an EASY question for me.. I spent years fishing with different types of raingear from thin stuff to thick ski bibs and I ALWAYS ended up wet by days end on real rainy days..
So this year when i committed to fishing the FLW event at Shasta My wife went out and bought me the 100MPH Bibs AND jacket from Bass Pro Shops...she also bought me the Under armor 3.0 pants and the Under Armor 2.0 (For more Mobility) shirt....All of that stuff cost about $600 ...BUT....it is ALL WELL WORTH THE MONEY!! I fished in the pouring rain AND SNOW in Shasta and in the pouring rain in the last Month and a 1/2 here and Ive been warm AND dry everytime... Nothing is better...PERIOD!! IMHO

Pete 8)
PeteMarinoGuideService.com
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

Cabelas Guidewear all the way.... :D
Best fishing investment I ever purchased... well besides my boat. har har

Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
fishinfrk

Post by fishinfrk »

After 10 plus years, I still would go with guidewear.
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

I have cabela guid wear and it is very very good. always dry.
But then after a while I got to thinking what if I fall over board running on plane or just fall in fishing. never happened yet but if it dose happen during winter time we all know that could be really bad.
Do we always wear a life jacket when fishing? Probably should during winter time. how hard would it be to swim or climb aboard the boat wearing all that winter time clothes along with boots?

I went ahead and got this gear.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/smj6224.html

it is VBER VERY warm. Its a life jacket as well.
I wear it anytime I need a jacket while fishing now.
just shut up and fish
jazzwannabe

Post by jazzwannabe »

jimmy87 wrote:I have cabela guid wear and it is very very good. always dry.
But then after a while I got to thinking what if I fall over board running on plane or just fall in fishing. never happened yet but if it dose happen during winter time we all know that could be really bad.
Do we always wear a life jacket when fishing? Probably should during winter time. how hard would it be to swim or climb aboard the boat wearing all that winter time clothes along with boots?

I went ahead and got this gear.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/smj6224.html

it is VBER VERY warm. Its a life jacket as well.
I wear it anytime I need a jacket while fishing now.

I had the same worries about falling in, so I went with this: http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php

Haven't had the chance to wear them in the rain, but they are super warm and comfortable in wet morning fog.
Golden Empire Bass Club
Trace

Post by Trace »

I have a 10 + year old North Face Gore-Tex parka and it still looks good and doesn't leak. I use Cabela's guide wear bibs and they are also of great quality. I would say make sure it's Gore-Tex and you'll be good for years.
Trace
raymond

Post by raymond »

sgvangler wrote:BPS 100mph is the $hit, but check out this "NEW" gear:

http://stormsuit.frabill.com/features/
That Frabil stuff looks really nice-not as bulky as some of the others.
But where do you go in the bay area to try it on?
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Cabelas and BPS make GREAT raingear. I've used Cabelas Guide wear forever and you cannot go wrong with it, period. The negative thing for me is the weight pulling on y shoulders later in the day. Much of this is probably the suspenders. I have very bad shoulders and this is a big deal to me. My shoulders just ache by the end of the day. I had some custom light weight gear made in Korea ( $750 set ) and this helped a lot. I have since found out about Gill. There are many options ( Coastal Sport Parka $169 - Bibs $149 ) are not their high end but work EXCELLENTLY for us a Bass fishermen. The one draw back is I think a better hood could be made. They are light weight but DRY!! I liked them well enough, I became a dealer for them. They have been huge in sailboat racing industry for years. Believe it or not, those guys see real foul weather. If anyone has a question on Gill, give me or Rich a call at the shop. We will try and make you happy. 530-671-1989