Optima Batteries Cranking and Trolling???

birdi23nls

Optima Batteries Cranking and Trolling???

Post by birdi23nls »

Sorry, I know we have been here before but if you don't mind sharing one more time what Optima cranking battery would you get for a 200 hp optimax? I'm not sure if they come with different cold cranking amps or something like that???

Also what Optima batteries would you get for you're trolling motor?

Thanks

Jared
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
Leon Pugh

Re: Optima Batteries Cranking and Trolling???

Post by Leon Pugh »

This article should answer most of your questions.
http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/libra ... ml?id=3282
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

birdi23nls wrote:Sorry, I know we have been here before but if you don't mind sharing one more time what Optima cranking battery would you get for a 200 hp optimax? I'm not sure if they come with different cold cranking amps or something like that???

Also what Optima batteries would you get for you're trolling motor?

Thanks

Jared
bassboatcentral.com, merc mottor thread, don has listed the minimum rating on batteries for the mercs...
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I thought Optima sucked for the trolling motor. I got two Kirkland batteries for the price of one Optima. I only run 12 volt and the Optima didn't even last one day where the Kirkland did. That's how it went for me.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

My experience is very different. I originally got my boat with 2 Optima Group 34 batteries for a 24V Pinpoint TM for 2 years, then a MinnKota ever since. Followed the usual charge night prior and afterwards using the on-board charger. Those batteries lasted me nearly 4 years before the charger started flashing the green-red alternating lights (manual says that is a dead cell). got 2 replacements from Sam's Club for $155 a piece.

Just my experience.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Jared,
You will get different feedback from folks...so this is just my experiance with Optima's...
Check out this link:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/p ... ealers.pdf

This chart will help you understand the difference between the different Optima's..

I know many anglers that use the Optima's, including myself... and never had a problem with them in any way. Word of advice, make sure to follow the charging directions though. Optima advises to use a 10 amp charging system/charger. If you have a 15 amp, you will want to charge them for 2-3 days prior to your outing...this will give you plenty of charge.

I run a 36v system for my Minn 101 and have actually charged my batteries for 2 days and fished 2 days without charging them and fighting wind and weeds at the Delta for both days...did not have a problem with power what so ever by the end of day 2 ~
Also, your talking about cranking batteries as well.. you may want to go with a little more then normal... electronics, live wells, lights... all take juice as well
Good Luck Sir ~
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

i read somewhere that costco kirkland batteries have a blue top look alike. Some people are saying that they are like optima in appearance others have told me that they are optimas...does anyone know the scoop on that? Also for the cranking battery are some of you suggesting that I go with something other than the optima? And also what is the reasoning behind charging the batteries for 2 or 3 days? It takes that long or??? I'm going to go read that link you sent me, not sure if it answers that question in the article?
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

I have never purchased batteries from Costco, so I can't speak on the brands they sell...but I would think that if they were truly Optima's, they will have the branding on them. Otherwise, they are some other brand of battery with a Blue top...not sure.
In regards to the 2-3 day charging question, I'm not sure about all brands of batteries, but the Optima has a fast recharge time, which does not take that long to charge, but I have gotten into the habit of setting up early incase something happens...I never just start my charge the day/night before a trip...it also allows me to double check to enure my onboard charger is working properly.

here are some other direct links to Optima info...hopefully this will give you some useful info..

**this one will provide charging information
http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_ ... .php#blue1

**some of the charactoristics of Optima
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/bluetop/
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

birdi23nls wrote:i read somewhere that costco kirkland batteries have a blue top look alike. Some people are saying that they are like optima in appearance others have told me that they are optimas...does anyone know the scoop on that? Also for the cranking battery are some of you suggesting that I go with something other than the optima? And also what is the reasoning behind charging the batteries for 2 or 3 days? It takes that long or??? I'm going to go read that link you sent me, not sure if it answers that question in the article?

I they do not say Optima on them are not Optimas. Costco does not have grp 31 batteries and if you run AGM batteries they should be 31'S. 27'S will work for many anglers and 34's are just not exceptable for any serious bass fishing. 31's will git r done for anyone in any bass boat, for trolling motors and cranking.

You should always recharge your batteries as soon as possible when you get off the water.

Thing of batteries as fuel tanks, the lower the fuel level the longer it takes to recharge. Not 3 days though. Do not fast charge deep cycle batteries. On board chargers are automatic current regulating regardless of its peak rating. They will determine the correct amperage rate that is best. If the battery is at a very low state of charge they will start off charging near their amperage rating and gradually reduce the charge rate until they are fully recharged and then go into a maintain mode. This is true with all quality on board chargers. Do not by cheap chargers unless you like buy batteries!
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I just got a 34M optima for my starting battery works great. Costco Kirk ands are a group 27 and made by Johnson Controls. Same as a interstate. Just so you know Walmart neverstarts in there group 27,29, and 31 now are made by Johnson Controls to. Don't have any feed back on them but they should be interstates.
LL
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

brambo0311 wrote:I just got a 34M optima for my starting battery works great. Costco Kirk ands are a group 27 and made by Johnson Controls. Same as a interstate. Just so you know Walmart neverstarts in there group 27,29, and 31 now are made by Johnson Controls to. Don't have any feed back on them but they should be interstates.
Most batteries are made by JCI these days, however they are NOT the same batteries. Ford made Pintos, Corsicas and Jeeps(during the forties) but that does not make them a Mustang. A group 34 will crank smaller motors ok but they only have 100 min of reserve. With todays demands on the cranking battery with the electronics and pumps a 34 is just not adequate for most applications. In the long run you will be better off with grp 31. If you can not afford Optima 31's the a better option would be a grp 27 Napa DC or comparable battery (non AGM). A Napa 8270 27DCM has 180 minutes of reserve and 845 MCA which would work well for most 200 or smaller motors. They are also made by JCI!

Buying batteries is like buying a new rod, there is so many options available. You first need to determine what your minimum requirements will be and how much you can spend on them, what you would like to have and what you must have.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
Marc

Post by Marc »

My minimum requirements for a starting battery on a bassboat with modern electronics and newer outboard would have a Reserve Capacity of 200 minutes (and make sure the cranking amps meet the outboard's specs).

Aerators, GPS Antenna/receivers, various sensors, big screen color Sonar/GPS units, networks, StructureScan, boat lighting, bilges, and more put serious demand on the battery you are counting will start your outboard when you need it started.

Do your homework by comparing the data, not opinions. Many popular and well marketed batteries are the wrong choice if they don't have a Reserve Capacity of 200 and the proper cranking amps.

It amazes me how much guys spend on a single fishing rod and then go cheap on their starting battery that is far more important.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

I have used Optima 31M's (Blue Tops) in my last three bass boats. By far the best "bass boat friendly" batteries ever. I have fished four days (two pre-fish, two game day) without a charge. When you do charge'em, they re-charge really fast. They also weigh less than most others, big advangtage. NO DRAMA EVER with these batteries.
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Well I just went and picked up the Optima D31M for my cranking battery. Right now I have Deka groups 31's as my trolling batteries. When those go out....I think i'm going to replace them with 31 optimas.

thanks for the help guys

ps. it turns out my optima 34 was in perfect working order so I'm going to try and sale it. What is a fair price for something like that. I do not know how old the batteries are, they were on the boat when i got it 2 years ago.???

Jared
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
nipples

Post by nipples »

Thanks for the post Jared... Batteries can be a complex issue as everyones mileage may vary with different brands, chargers, usage, storage, etc.

I enjoyed revisiting the topic as a refresher in batteries is always good... Which gets me to thinking about getting a new onboard charger... I'll start a new thread with that...

As far as a fair price for a used optima 34 of undetermined age but at least 2 years old... That one is a crap shoot for the buyer (most boat batteries only last a couple years, optimas tend to last longer), so I would either use it or sell it for dirt cheep (it's at least worth a core charge plus a few bucks if it's still holding a charge has has a decent reserve).
Do it like no one is watching...