MOTORGUIDE TO MINN KOTA?

Basslab

MOTORGUIDE TO MINN KOTA?

Post by Basslab »

Alright guys, here's the scenario. Have a Motorguide 109 digital on my Champion and it has all the power I need but have a few things that I would like to change. I love the digital with no stress worrying about breaking steering cables while out fishing and the low profile foot control but my biggest concern is will the holes made for my gator mount align with the Minn Kota? Speaking to Mike Van Wagner and none of us are certain about the hole alignment. Need some feedback so a decision can be made, Minn Kota Terrova or another Motor Guide. Thanks.
minnkotaman

Re: MOTORGUIDE TO MINN KOTA?

Post by minnkotaman »

sorry, you'll only have 1 hole line up.
the rest will have to be plugged with
wooden dolls and siliconed.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

I don't have exact information to your problem, but I have recently switched from a low end motorguide 46lb to a power drive v2 with I-pilot. Not only don't the holes match up, they were completely different size and number. The only think that did match up was the wiring, I was able to convert from 12v to 24v easily.

Also its worth note that the worthless cable drive on the low end motorguide is completely different from how minnkota does it. You may find a high end minnkota like fortrex might actually be the best choice.

Also previously I had the recessed foot pedal, which I also installed. So if you have any questions feel free to ask them.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
sniper

Post by sniper »

Dont know if the holes line up exactly, but the Fortrex mount is very forgiving with plenty of room for new holes. Don't plug and dowl your gel coat cap, just mark where the Motorguide holes are and drill them in the Minn-Kota mount. I promise you one thing, once you use a Minn Kota, especailly the Fortrex, you will wonder why you ever had the Motor Guide.
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

I just had it done this week and of the 6 motorguide holes from my 109 all 6 lined up for the Fortrex I just put on my Ranger. I will never go back to motorguide based upon the performance of the Fortrex over the last two days of wind we have had on the Delta. The Fortrex out performed the Motorguide hands down and chopped up the weeds like a tossed salad.

I had Gene mount the Fortrex and it was a slick easy to install application. If you have any questions I would call him and you would be suprised how quickly the new motor will mount.
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

I recently went from mg tour 109 to a mk101 fortrex! all the holes lined up perfectly! I was scared for a minute when I first saw the narrow hole pattern!, then I Read the directions, and found that you remove the side panel on the fortrex mount to get to the wide bolt pattern,after that!, it was a easy job to mount up! I love the fortrex! the only bummer is getting used to that dang pedal!....
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

It aint the pedal brother its the location of the button thats what sucks. It only took me half the day to get used to it.

Remove the right side plate of the Fortrex and you will find that all hole line up.
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

You are a better man than me" Bret!,took me a couple months!after running MGs for the last 20 years! How's the delta this weekend ?"little windy"?...
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

Holy crap on the wind. It was horrible and the weights reflected. Today it is very nice. Only blowing maybe 5 to 10 so I am sure the bags will be much better today. We will see in a few hours.
gbchulavista

Post by gbchulavista »

Hey, Brett, how are you doing? It has taken me longer to get used to my Minn Kota after 20 years with motor guide, but I believe it was worth the change, just last weekend as I was plowing through the tules in my Z20 at Lake Otay, I would remember with my old motor guide on my Champion how I would have to stop every boat length and clear the prop. Don't have to do it as often with the MK and when I do the stuff has to be really thick.
Brett, to refresh your memory we used to compete against each other back in the old MBAA days in San Diego. Gary B.