driving rough water

aNNieNsaLTIE

driving rough water

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

so i was wondering what was the best way to drive your boat under windy conditions with big roller... let's say 4ft.... I have herd some guys talking about getting on top of them and just flying across them, but i think that could also turn into a death wish. I feel pretty confident to cut across the lake and drive through the swells and rollers. At the same time having to run up a lake or down, thats another story. IS there a special MPH or RPM to cruise at? How much do you trim up or do you not trim at all. Just curious what others find that work best for them.
flipit

Re: driving rough water

Post by flipit »

Thats all left to be determined by the driver and their comfort level. Personally I fly by alot of guys in 20+ft boats in rough water because of one reason or another. Knowing your boats performance and limits is crucial, as is your boat driving abilities. If you dont feel comfortable driving fast in rough water then I say dont! If you do, then go. Roller gaps and such have alot to do with it. Sometimes they are 8ft apart, sometimes 3ft. If you cant or dont know how to read it, go slower.
Fishing should be fun.
godshippy

Post by godshippy »

I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about this topic as well. I want to purchase a bass boat in the near future, and am currently trying to read up as much as I can about proper boat driving techniques in the event that I come across some rough weather/water unexpectedly.

I've read a couple articles from Ranger 520 owners saying that they trim down so that they cut through the 4+ foot waves and that with the use of the Hot Foot they "hole shot" up the wave, and then release some of the throttle on the way down. I've also read a couple articles and have heard from many people to just keep the boat trim up so that the nose stays up and just slowly drive through.
scott h

Post by scott h »

Well I have a few hours behind the wheel and in my younger days I would drop the hammer and find the rite speed needed to cruise across the tops, every situation is different but to some extent you can run the big stuff but the risk factor goes way up.

One thing I learned for sure is no matter how hard the wind is blowing there are always a few waves/rollers that dont stay in pattern and those are the ones that can be dangerous, I remember one time in particular when I was on the delta and the wind was howling from the west, tide going out a pattern that we see regular on the delta and we were flying across the top of 4 footers when all the sudden the pattern was broken and instead of rolling horizontal down the channel this one was paralell and we came down on the driver side and through the next one,draw a line from the bow to the transom, strait down the middle and the whole driver side went under/through the next wave and then back flat over the next set,my partner ended up under the driver console and a foot of water in the floorboard!Moral of the story....It doesnt matter what brand of boat you run but if you continue to pound it through super rough water things break and thats a garuntee.We talked about running that water that day and both agreed on it but that incident forever changed how I run the big stuff.Having a bigger boat to me doesnt mean I can run the big stuff faster it just means I can run it comfortable at a slow speed.

Now days I prefer the zig zag method and work the throttle to climb the face and cut the wheel to slide down the back side nice and easy, it takes a little longer but alot less damage to your boat and the people in it.The number one thing on the water is safety and tournement situation or not no ones life is worth a bad decision or saving a few minutes to get to your spot.

Always have your pfds on kill switches attatched and be as safe as you can possibly be and your boat will serve you many trips in the future as well as keep the people in your boat safe to fish another day.Also a few years back there was a good article in bassmasters about rough water preparation for your boat and gear,If you can find a forum centered around the great lakes they have good info on rough water prep,safety and navigation tips.

Tight lines hope this helps Scott h.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

First off I have been fishing the delta and clear lake since 85 and only one time that I have actually seen 4 footers. Once in Berryessa with 40 mph north wind, I pulled out of cappel cove and pulled right back in. Unless I can get 40 ft spacing I will not ever be in 4 footers in any Bass Boat! Most so called 4 footers are really no more than 30in.
It does take some practice running very rough waters and every boat set up handles it a little different. You will have to determine what trim angle and speed works best for you, learning when to tickle the throttle for the correct bow lift at just the right time is important, if you try to run to much trim up when the bow noise over the prop will blow losing momentum and all bow lift and that will get you wet. No one is going to put it on the pad and run the tops, in big waves, not even 3 foot. I have a planning plate under my jack plate which allows me to stay on the pad as low as 17 mph and that helps in the really rough stuff. A four blade prop is also a benifit in the rough. I usually have the motor at about 20 to 40 % trim in the rough stuff. I have been in the Antioch area several times with a outgoing tide against a hard west wind and those waves are not moving, the just get taller. It much better to just go through Taylor slough when that bad. Running diagonally can help a great deal, but pay attention and read the waves coming at you.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

thanks to those who already have imputted there experiences. I know when it comes to game day there are those who brave the nasty water. thank-you for sharing your expeiences with us to help us all be safer out there.
Sumo

Post by Sumo »

I think Scott H said it best but everyone touched on great points. I run both Saltwater and Freshwater boats with the Saltwater having the most bad water conditions. It really comes down to really knowing what your boat can and cannot do and understanding the conditions you are in at the time. The trim, push from your prop, angle or positioning of your boat verses the wave pattern has a big impact on how you will get through the water conditions. Example, if you nose down too much you will take a lot of water over the bow but if you nose up too much it will impact your ability to move forward so you have to keep playing with your trim and speed until you get the trim right with the speed you are able to maintain. You can run the tops of a bunch of small waves but not the big ones, sooner or later something real bad will happen. Even though you have a steady pattern of wave action it can change in a heartbeat for various reasons and you have to be ready for it. There could be a big cruiser running the same water creating a large wake that will break the wave pattern you just never know. I was out with a guide a few weeks ago and coming in he went way out of the direct return path to avoid most of the big water and I respect him more for it. You can write a book on all the various conditions and how you need to control your boat in them. It is always better to try and take the safest route for the conditions even if it means you have to break that straight line to your target and take alot more time to get there.
Dale (Sumo)
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

Anytime I can run the crests and troughs of the waves I will (running parallel). I live on Mead and Mohave and I have learned from the best drivers (The Barnsons!). Those guys grew up on this lake! My rule of thumb is if it is blowing out of the North, then get North (the bank will protect you), same for other directions as well (blowing out of the South, get South). The only place that ever scared the living daylights out of me was the Columbia River/ Snake River junction in the Tri Cities You cannot venture from the channel and you HAVE to go whatever way you can. Pick and maintain a speed that will time them the best you can. It is a matter of throttle and trim and a lot of experience.
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
Eric Ocampo

Post by Eric Ocampo »

I agree with Brent running the trough's and "surfing" them if possible. I think it takes a lot more skill and steering to do this this method safely, but if the swells are consistant enough i will run the trough's faster and dryer without a sore neck. Even then you will always catch one that doubles up forcing you to choose a side to slid down. I just always keep a scanning veiw and try not to zone out becuase thats when you'll get caught. What scares me the most is when people just set the trim and throttle at a speed and just blindly crash from wave to wave with no attempt to manuver, or when people see a big boat wave and chop out of throttle to slow down when on plane!My neck hurts just thinking about it, trim is your friend! lol. Just as otheres have mentioned the duration from crest to trough has a lot to do with weather you can trim down and run them or trim up and plow. If i have to run them head on and they are too big to stay on plane, I will trim the bow up and keep on/off the throttle and trim constantly to climb over and down always scanning for dark areas (big ones) so i have time to set up for them or attempt to find the shoulder. My time behind the wheel is pretty limited (2yrs) but i have been in some pretty ugly situations where you cant see the horizon more than a few times. One of which i was by my self and fored to plow, i caught a set that was so big when i got down in the trough and had the bow up and gassed the wave was still a good 2 feet over the bow, i was at enough verticle angle that i could see sunlight through the crest... keep in mind this is in an older 20ft ranger 492 with the 15" built in set back, thats 21.5ft of hull to work with and still in this instance all i could do was hold my breath! I think the worse case scenerio would be conditions that big and forced to run the backs, at that point i think i would just try to wait it out. Although running with them is a softer ride, when they get big they are very easy to spear.
I think the best advice i have heard is not to rush it and muscle through them when its really big, always think finesse.
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

Buy a Champion and live to fish another day.
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

ppickerel, really? This isn't about boat brands. Although Champs run rough water extremely well ( I owned one), I love my Skeeter more, and I was almost killed in a Triton (bigger 21 footer). So it isn't just the boat. Just know your equipment and learn to drive it!!
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

Get em Brent! I agree about the Barnson's and whatever else you wrote about Mead n Mohave.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Slow down; the faster you go the harder the water is on everything and the faster you will get into serious trouble. Big waves on big open water lakes are caused by the wind and wind/wave direction will dictate the angle and direction you can effectively travel.
In general trim the bow down and keep the hull wet without punching the bow through the waves and be safe to fish another day.
A rogue wave or wake is all it takes to ruin your day if you are traveling too fast for the conditions. I ounce broke a boat in half racing the Catalina channel due to a freighter wake before they had bow breakers. Wind and waves can kite and blow over a fast running boat before you can react.
Tom
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

This is a great thread for all boat drivers; I really dont know what to add in terms of knowledge as it has been covered well by the guys before me.

My first tournament on the Delta in my 19' boat was a hair raising experieance, we launched out of Three Mile and the wind was howling out of the North for the past two days and nights. I took off down the river remembering all of the sage advice "stay on top of the waves" :evil: this lead to me wacking the **** out of my boat, my passenger, and snapping a plate in my batteries. So now I had to gimp back to the launch area getting swamped in the back on my way back.

Needless to say time and experiance has brought me to run at the conditions at hand - sometimes I can get on top of them and run WTFO, sometimes I can surf em in running the angles (kinda like riding whoops in off roading), sometimes I can get in the trough and run parrell - no mater what keep an eye open in the distance and communicate with your partner to keep an eye out on the sides for rogue waves and other nav hazards. - sometimes the best answer is to take the long way home - always try to run on the most leeward side of the bank, or on berry on the back side of the islands - if **** gets too wierd - tuck and hide until you are Comfortable with making it in safely - even if that means tucking into a nearby marina and calling a friend to get your truck and bring it to you. The goal is to make it home to fish another day.
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

THIS IS GREAT POST. I'VE HAD MY OWN HAIR RAISING EXPERIENCES ALSO. I PREFER THE SLOW STAY ON PAD AND RIDE UP AND DOWN METHOD. I ONLY HAVE ONE OTHER THING THAT I MIGHT ADD; THAT IS TO CLOSE YOUR MOUTH IF YOU STUFF A WAVE; A HALF GALLON OF CLEAR LAKE WATER WILL GIVE YOU THE RUNS :oops:

GOOD FISHIN
If you do nothing expect nothing!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:This is a great thread for all boat drivers; I really dont know what to add in terms of knowledge as it has been covered well by the guys before me.

My first tournament on the Delta in my 19' boat was a hair raising experieance, we launched out of Three Mile and the wind was howling out of the North for the past two days and nights. I took off down the river remembering all of the sage advice "stay on top of the waves" :evil: this lead to me wacking the **** out of my boat, my passenger, and snapping a plate in my batteries. So now I had to gimp back to the launch area getting swamped in the back on my way back.

Needless to say time and experiance has brought me to run at the conditions at hand - sometimes I can get on top of them and run WTFO, sometimes I can surf em in running the angles (kinda like riding whoops in off roading), sometimes I can get in the trough and run parrell - no mater what keep an eye open in the distance and communicate with your partner to keep an eye out on the sides for rogue waves and other nav hazards. - sometimes the best answer is to take the long way home - always try to run on the most leeward side of the bank, or on berry on the back side of the islands - if **** gets too wierd - tuck and hide until you are Comfortable with making it in safely - even if that means tucking into a nearby marina and calling a friend to get your truck and bring it to you. The goal is to make it home to fish another day.
Remember the rollers coming out of the fish arm at Castaic in my Tracker 175? We ran up into them until we were upwind of the west ramp, and then made the turn and came in with the wind at our backs, and didn't get that wet.
Short story long, drive your boat with your head, not your ego.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

thanks guys!!1 this is a great thread!! I really got to make sure i take notes of this thread and copy them just incase.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

There's a lot of good advice on this thread, however, nobody has said anything about one of the most important things to do. GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE LAKE !!! Get that boat over tword the bank, preferabley the protected bank. Thats the bakn in the direction of the wind. This will give you the least rough water to run in and should disaster happen youre not stuck out in the middle of the lake. I like to run a zig zg pattern and never run directly into a wave. In fairly rough water you can run the crests if you can time them right. NEVER TRY TO RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. This will spell disaster for surel Slow down to the speed of the waves if you can run this pattern. Make sure every thing is secured and your PDF is on and kill switch is in place.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms