record Redear

Gene Buchholz

record Redear

Post by Gene Buchholz »

“5.55lb Redear Sunfish caught
I just talked to Tom at Angler's Pro Shop in Havasu, Az. and he has confirmed that a 5.55 lb. Redear Sunfish was caught at Lake Havasu Monday April 2, 2011 by Robert Lawler of Havasu while fishing a plastic worm for bass. The fish measured 16.75 inches long and had a girth of 19 inches. The Arizona State Game and Fish Dept measured and confirmed the catch and have determined that it is a Line-Class World Record Redear Sunfish. The shop has the fish and is holding it for a taxidermist. There have been several caught there that top 3 pounds.”
===============================================================
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: record Redear

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Now that is one big red ear..It would be a ton of fun catching that on ultra-light..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Should be the all tackle world record; current is 5.43 or 5 lbs 7 oz, this redear is 5.55 or 5 lbs 7 oz, it is 2 oz heavier.
Caught 3 lb redear a few years ago, ate a jig with 5/0 hook fishing for bass at Casitas and it was a strong fish, this pig would be epic battle on light tackle.
Tom
Dewayne

Post by Dewayne »

Several year ago there was one on a bed in Frank's Tract that was well over 3#. She was bedded up with seceral big males. Galen and I caught a few of the males and they were all scaled at about 1.7# - 1.8#, they were huge and she was twice their size. I made two or three trips out to fish for her, but never could get her to eat. Bed fishing the big Red Ears is a lot of fun.
Dewayne
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Dewayne wrote:Several year ago there was one on a bed in Frank's Tract that was well over 3#. She was bedded up with seceral big males. Galen and I caught a few of the males and they were all scaled at about 1.7# - 1.8#, they were huge and she was twice their size. I made two or three trips out to fish for her, but never could get her to eat. Bed fishing the big Red Ears is a lot of fun.
+1000 for sure! huge redear are a BLAST!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Gator

Post by Gator »

This thing is HUGE!!!

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

That thing looks like a Jack Craval! If a 5lb bass fights hard, I can only imagine how that fish must have pulled!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bobby T

Post by Bobby T »

I'm sure glad that thing is out of the lake.It look's like a Bass eater to me. :roll: :wink:
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

"Now that is one big red ear..It would be a ton of fun catching that on ultra-light..

mac"

WOW!!!! That big redear would have been alot of fun on my 6 wt. fly rod.
luvmystratos

Re: Record Redear??

Post by luvmystratos »

I may be wrong, but there was a Red Ear that went over that weight by almost one or two ounces. right here in Sacramento back in the 80's caught right out of the Canal just off of Sunrise Blvd. The guy weighed it in a Fran & Eddies and it was supposedly put in the Record Book; does anyone remember that one? He used a 1/2 Ounce Sinker with 3 or 4 Night Crawlers as bait.
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
Dom

Post by Dom »

WOW That is crazy!!! Man yall sure that isn't a hybrid red ear /bass? The back of the fish looks dead on like a bass but the middel down looks like a red ear. Is that even possible ? :shock: Man thats huge for a red ear! Eiher way I would not have told how I caught it until the cash started flowing LMAO still a line class record gotta be worth somthing :D
Tight Lines Dom
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

Here is a link to the IGFA site - with conversion to ounces it will be close.

http://www.igfa.org/Records/Fish-Record ... sh=Sunfish, redear