Livewell pumps

DL

Livewell pumps

Post by DL »

At what point does one need to replace his livewell pumps? Both work but don't pump the amount of water they used to. Is there anything I can check for besides a line blockage that will tell me what is wrong? I have taken the lid off my bilge where they are and to say the least, its cramped and not set up for a casual inspection. Pumps are 12 years old so I have gotten my use out of them but the low flow is causing my fish distress after long hours in the well.

Thanks
"Feel the steel"
Murph

Re: Livewell pumps

Post by Murph »

Like you said, you've gotten good use out of them. Hopefully they are the Cartridge type.
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

if the motor is still kicking, keep using them. they will pop fuses when the motor goes...
Sumo

Post by Sumo »

If you know they are getting weak replace all of them. If they are packed in there like mine and you have to take everything out to get to them save yourself a whole lot of agony and change all of them at one time. If you have the cartridge type check the housing and make sure it is not warped in any way, lets face it after being in there for 12 years things tend to mold themself into a comfortable shape which will eventually end up failing. The other thing you can be sure of is when they go out it will not be when the boat is sitting on the trailer and probably happen when you need them the most. Of course if your funds are short just change out the weak ones. Just my two cents on the subject. Good luck!
Dale (Sumo)
stan7

Post by stan7 »

I dont think there is any avoiding taking things apart down there.

Pulling the motor/impeller off of the valve body is the easiest check. If you see junk in there, you should probably take the valves out and clean them too.
DL

Post by DL »

I have the Rule 500gph pumps. I'll take em' out and check for debris.
"Feel the steel"
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

DL - besides looking for blockage, when you pull the cartridge check the body that the cartridge goes into for any cracks - mine had a crack along the side and couldnt get the pressure going.
stan7

Post by stan7 »

Yeah, if they pull any air, they can't push any water.

Turn the impeller by hand when you get the cartridge off, it should turn freely.

Good luck.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

It's time to change out both the pump and housing. Also you should remove the valves and clean them and flush out the lines. It sounds harder than it really is. You've got the best out of them after 12 yrs. I'd replace them with 1000gpm pumps. I always carry a spare cartridge too. If you coat the housing where the cartridge rests with white grease, it will always come out east for cleaning or replacement. Works good on the valves too.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
DL

Post by DL »

Thanks gentlemen. Fortunately for me I've gone 12 years without any pump problems so I'm new at its replacement. I'll let you know what I find after I get them out...
"Feel the steel"