Trolling Motor head drifts

49R Dan

Trolling Motor head drifts

Post by 49R Dan »

When you take your foot off of my trolling motor the head and foot control will drift and not stay on course. Is there a way to tighten that up?

It is a Motor Guide, bow mounted, 12 volt, 46 pound thrust with foot pedal/cable.

I was also told I should mount the foot pedal in a stationary position to help avoid some of the fatigue and to also force the bow fisherman to cast forward so the back seater can also throw forward.

I guess what I'm really asking is should I mess around with this trolling motor or should I upgrade to 24 volt (I have 2 TM batteries)? Which brand/model is more reliable too if I do decide to go that route.

It's not a big problem on lakes but the Delta is brutal when the wind blows the same direction as the current...

Thanks in advance, Dan
2010/11/12(by default) Conroy Oakley Pro-Teen Classic Chili Champ
DeltaBassBuster

Re: Trolling Motor head drifts

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Hey Dan,

Yaaa, if you can afford it, it would more benificial for you to upgrade to a 24 volt system. For me and my custom 12 ft. Valco "BASSBUSTER1" I use a 55 lb. thrust 12 volt MinnKota which I'm happy with. The way technology keeps changing these days I'm looking forward to possibly seeing a 100 lb. thrust model on a 12 volt system some day. That would sure make my little boat go in those delta winds that I've been accustomed too.
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

http://trollperfect.com/default.aspx

I got one of these, $15 and It does the job.
There She Is!!!
49R Dan

Post by 49R Dan »

Thanks Delaney, that's looks like it will do the trick...
2010/11/12(by default) Conroy Oakley Pro-Teen Classic Chili Champ
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

You probably have a single cable steering motor. If this is the case take the top of your motor off and you will see a square gear attached to your cable. It will be mounted in a black plastic holder with 6 screws holding it in place. Take the six screws out and lift the holder up this will exposed the coupler gear under it. There is a set screw in the coupler gear loosen it and tighten the coupler gear don't over tighten or it will make your steering very tight. Retighten the set screw and put the holder with the steering cable back on ( make sure the toe of the foot feet is pushed all the way down and the cable at the top of the motor is facing the back of the motor and not the prop.
If you need more help call me at the Hook 925-625-2441
Gene