A couple jerkbait questions

WildDog3

A couple jerkbait questions

Post by WildDog3 »

Other than lucky craft, what are some good jerkbaits? Also when fishing jerkabits do you want a crankin' rod or something stiffer?
Colebass

Lots of information

Post by Colebass »

Let me first start with rods. A crankin rod can work, but depends on the bait. How heavy, how deep does it run, etc, etc. I like the Powell 706 CB, it is a crankin rod, but has some backbone to it. I use it on all my Lucky Craft, except the 128. You can use it with Rattlin Rogues and other small to med Jerkbaits as well.

For the 128 Lucky Craft or Rapala 18's or Shad Rap #9, I would use a heavier rod like a Powell 734.

There are so many great rip baits on the market today. You need a couple different sizes in just a few colors. For stained water, I like the clown colors and Chartrusse with Purple back. In clearwater, I like shad, ghost shad and tennesse shad. There are more colors, but you could start with these and go from there. I have way to many colors and bait (becasue I have a problem! :D) , but start with what you can afford and grow from there.

Hope this helps!
Dave Cole
Triton Mike

Re: Lots of information

Post by Triton Mike »

I agree with Colebass on the 6 power Powell Rod for ripping. However I like the shorter 6ft 8 version Powell 686 CB Mod-Fast of that same rod. Depends on what lenght rod you prefer for jerkbait fishing. I personally prefer shorter rods for the weight savings but the 7fter gives you more leverage and longer casting distance.

As for Jerkbaits other than Lucky Craft?? Sheesh I don't know about California but LC pretty much owns the Southeast in the jerkbait category and the Sammy's rule in Georgia for Spots. The only jerkbait that I have fished previously other than LC has been the Daiwa TD Minnow. But when the Flashminnow MR came out which in my opinion is a big improvement on the TD. The Jackall Squirriel is another that I used but the DD 78 mimics that bait pretty good. We don't have River2Sea over here so I can't comment on their baits.

T Mike
Tony M

Re: A couple jerkbait questions

Post by Tony M »

You need to look at the River 2 Sea Ripbaits. I have been using the Suspen Min88Su. It is on the lines of a Stayce 90 in some really different colors. This has been a good rip-bait for me at a cost of $9.99
Tony Mello
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

WD3,

Over the years, Rapala has put out a bunch of smaller baits that work very well. The shallow billed Smithwicks are a standard jerkbait that has been productive and also around forever. Seems like everyone who tosses jerkbaits has an old Smithwick Clown in the boat. Bomber also makes a series of shallow running jerkbaits that have been around for ages.

As fer rods, most of my jerkin is done for largemouth and stripers in the winter. I really only use a jerk, jerk, jerk then LONG pauses with subtle little twitches after I git the bait down. For this, I have found that my custom built Beichman rod works wonders. It's a Lamiglass WMB841E blank 6'9" 5 power rod with 11 guides.
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I have had good luck this last year on the Rapala X-Rap.
Gary Dobyns

Cooch rippin ?

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I thought all you knew was flippin and thought rippin was hard. :lol: Don't over look Powell's 704CB. The rod is awesome and the #1 seller in the line.