perfect timing NOT :(

bassz21

perfect timing NOT :(

Post by bassz21 »

Im finally to a point where i can start saving for my first bass boat n found out i need new radiator, oil lines n few other things this sucks :evil:
Tin Can

Re: perfect timing NOT :(

Post by Tin Can »

That's the story of my life man, just when you get a little ahead, life kicks you right in the nuts. There is always some unexpected expense the minute I have any extra money.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Just wait until you have a boat to support.
Purchase, insurance, taxes, maintenance.....the list just seems to grow by itself.
BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand
:twisted:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
dwise

Post by dwise »

mark poulson wrote:Just wait until you have a boat to support.
Purchase, insurance, taxes, maintenance.....the list just seems to grow by itself.
BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand
:twisted:
I can attest to this. I bought my used boat at the end of October 2010. Since then it's one thing after another, every month it's something. It has been very stressful. The guys at Lakeside Boat & Marine in Castaic see dollar signs when I drive up into their driveway! LOL

Do yourself a favor, either buy new, or if you buy used, save enough money for all the repairs/maintenance, registration, taxes, etc. that is sure to follow. Then you'll need money for oil, gas, and cleaning supplies). Basically, it's a money pit. BUT, I think it's all worth it because you have freedom, and you don't have to rely on someone else to take you fishing. And don't forget you'll need money for maintenance and repairs for your tow vehicle as well. Something else to consider... there is also maintenance (and tires) for the boat trailer.

These are the items you will need money for, not counting repairs, and any upgrades you may want to do. Yearly engine maintenance (approx. $550.00+), yearly unsecured property tax (I only paid $56.00 because my boat is a 1999. I belive they calculate your tax based on the value of the boat), and annual registration. If you own a house, then your boat insurance will be more because you have to buy protection for the house in case someone sues you.
Last edited by dwise on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Man ! You guys are depressing ! LOL ! I dont know , insurance aint bad , but I bought used . Motor went out , but I was lucky enuff , was covered under waranty , even tho , I was out.(boat had a fresh motor when I bought), but gas , OIL-KILLER ! Again , I have an older one that drinks gas tho.The upgrades , yeah , you want them , theyll cost you ! You learn to put thing in perspective,prioritise- "maybe I dont NEED that HDS 10 ".My opinion , especially if first boat , get somethin that floats,runs , most fish the same.Learn how to do the easier maintenance, will save you a bundle,everything is on YouTube.The olde carb motors are easier , cheaper to work with . If it aint so pretty , it gets bumpd , scuffed , who cares ! Youll also save a ton on wax,wipe,etc..The freedom IS GREAT ! Just my opinions.After gettn my boat,watchn everyone else around me , this is what I'd do , if I had ta do it again.The new ones are BEAUTIFUL tho , and you pay for them.
~ Tony
mike austin

Post by mike austin »

then if you have any money left you might get to buy some tackle and new rods or even have enough to enter some derby's
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

TonyL wrote:Man ! You guys are depressing ! LOL ! I dont know , insurance aint bad , but I bought used . Motor went out , but I was lucky enuff , was covered under waranty , even tho , I was out.(boat had a fresh motor when I bought), but gas , OIL-KILLER ! Again , I have an older one that drinks gas tho.The upgrades , yeah , you want them , theyll cost you ! You learn to put thing in perspective,prioritise- "maybe I dont NEED that HDS 10 ".My opinion , especially if first boat , get somethin that floats,runs , most fish the same.Learn how to do the easier maintenance, will save you a bundle,everything is on YouTube.The olde carb motors are easier , cheaper to work with . If it aint so pretty , it gets bumpd , scuffed , who cares ! Youll also save a ton on wax,wipe,etc..The freedom IS GREAT ! Just my opinions.After gettn my boat,watchn everyone else around me , this is what I'd do , if I had ta do it again.The new ones are BEAUTIFUL tho , and you pay for them.
And I bet your 488 still shines. Cause I know you take good care of it. :D
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
dwise

Post by dwise »

I paid cash for my boat, 11k, so I don't have any boat loan payment. Before I bought the boat, I had plenty of discretionary income, and was able to pay off my credit card every month to save on interest. After I bought the boat my credit card balance is hovering at 3k, and I can't pay it off. So I'm having to pay the interest! And after paying all my bills each month, I have just enough money to fish the club tournament every month. That's ONCE A MONTH fishing!

But I don't regret buying the boat, because when I go fishing, I really love it, and I love my boat.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Wolfeman wrote:
TonyL wrote:Man ! You guys are depressing ! LOL ! I dont know , insurance aint bad , but I bought used . Motor went out , but I was lucky enuff , was covered under waranty , even tho , I was out.(boat had a fresh motor when I bought), but gas , OIL-KILLER ! Again , I have an older one that drinks gas tho.The upgrades , yeah , you want them , theyll cost you ! You learn to put thing in perspective,prioritise- "maybe I dont NEED that HDS 10 ".My opinion , especially if first boat , get somethin that floats,runs , most fish the same.Learn how to do the easier maintenance, will save you a bundle,everything is on YouTube.The olde carb motors are easier , cheaper to work with . If it aint so pretty , it gets bumpd , scuffed , who cares ! Youll also save a ton on wax,wipe,etc..The freedom IS GREAT ! Just my opinions.After gettn my boat,watchn everyone else around me , this is what I'd do , if I had ta do it again.The new ones are BEAUTIFUL tho , and you pay for them.
And I bet your 488 still shines. Cause I know you take good care of it. :D
- Wolfeman
LOL ! Just followin what you started buddy ! :D
~ Tony