Results Lower Otay 2-21-2009

Big Ed

Results Lower Otay 2-21-2009

Post by Big Ed »

The CFF and Top Stick affilaited bass club California Bass Contenders held their February Tournament and 11th event of their 12 month season at Lower Otay resrvoir in San Diego county Saturday Feb 21, 2009.

With a total of 5 bass bass clubs and the general public sharing the same water down south on this Saturday morning launching and finding a spot would prove to be very challenging to say the least. I spoke with Sharon Smith City of SD Lakes supervisor on Friday and she informed me to expect the crowded conditions. I arrived at 1:00 am and found myself 37 boats back of the line. The other clubs that showed were Sun Country Bass Masters, Ramona Bass Club, San Diego Bassmasters and another small club from down south. Everybody worked together to make the best of the situation.

With gorgeous weather and clear skies and surface water temps of 58-59 degrees you would think the fish were ready to chew on something? That was not to be the case for either one of the five clubs fishing this day. The California Bass Contenders club ended with 27 anglers of its 40 man roster competing for only 45 fish weighed in at the scales. It was a stinkfest of massive proportions.

Congratulations go out to Tim Irwin for 1st place with 9.81lbs as well as big boat honors for 12.37lbs, Tim Barrett 2nd place with 9.78lbs and Mike Martin 3rd place with 7.52lbs. Big fish honors went to Ron Janke for landing a 3.89lb bass with honorable mention to Dr Randy Estrada for a 3.87lb bass.

As we go into the month of March for our last event at Havasu of our 12 month season it should be noted that points leader Ray Vella of Gee Gee Baits has finished in the top ten in every event this year which is a phenominal feat not many anglers can perform. Ray finished 5th at Otay and is the heir appearent of our Angler of the year trophy that will be handed out later ths year at our awards banquet.

Thanks for listening:

Later: Big Ed!
Tournament Director
California Bass Contenders
What you say is meaningless.........What you do is everything!
John Barron

Thanks for the report Big Ed

Post by John Barron »

Going to Havasu? You might as well hand Ray Vella the prize now. He can shred that water.
jb