"declare" rule help at Snagproof

g-man

Re: "declare" rule help at Snagproof

Post by g-man »

Brian wrote:
Terry Smith wrote:Can you imagin repeating do you want to weigh bigfish
I have been running the tub for ABA Delta for going on 5 years and did it at Folsom for 2 years and I always ask every angler. Not a big deal. Just want to help them out in case they forget. It's the decent thing to do.
Exactly my thought, been staff for Folsom ABA for 3 years, we always ask how many fish, and if they want to weigh bf! Its just a simple reminder to make sure guys weigh their BF!
100% LL
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

So, this thread has been going on for a few days now.
Most folks agree that this guy got royally screwed.
But there is no word from the Snag Proof folks or the tournament director about this obvious error.
Hard to fathom that.
- Rick Wolfe (aka Wolfeman)
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Duckman

Post by Duckman »

I was thinking the same thing, they must be too busy counting the money they made after selling all those frogs and buzz frogs. Don't forget about the 20% they keep for expenses.
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

https://www.snagproof.com/home/index.ph ... 29&Itemid=

Doesn't say anything about declaring a big bass. You should have gotten big fish money.

If you're going to use this 'Special Rules' thing you gotta tell people what the special rules are. I was there, there was no mention of special rules.

This tourney does have an amateur hour aspect to it. In 2009 there was total confusion about the flights on the 2nd day. We lost 15 minutes on our day due to it.

Day 2 this year we had some guy flanking us coming down the channel at blast off and they never called his number. Huh? I get it that the TD can't control idiots but you could wave the guy off like what on earth are you doing heading out when they didn't call your number. If this is some rookie league event, OK, tolerate some dumb stuff, but it's 6g for first on the pro-side. C'mon.

And I have to say it... Dom - you need bigger flip flops.
Dom

Post by Dom »

swimbait wrote:https://www.snagproof.com/home/index.ph ... 29&Itemid=

Doesn't say anything about declaring a big bass. You should have gotten big fish money.

If you're going to use this 'Special Rules' thing you gotta tell people what the special rules are. I was there, there was no mention of special rules.

This tourney does have an amateur hour aspect to it. In 2009 there was total confusion about the flights on the 2nd day. We lost 15 minutes on our day due to it.

Day 2 this year we had some guy flanking us coming down the channel at blast off and they never called his number. Huh? I get it that the TD can't control idiots but you could wave the guy off like what on earth are you doing heading out when they didn't call your number. If this is some rookie league event, OK, tolerate some dumb stuff, but it's 6g for first on the pro-side. C'mon.

And I have to say it... Dom - you need bigger flip flops.

LOL the girls dont think so , size 6 LMAO :D :D :D :D
Tight Lines Dom
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

DanO wrote:We can sit here and talk "common sense" all day long, but that is why we have rules in tournament angling. Your common sense may not be my common sense, and the next guy's common sense may be something entirely different. With so many people thinking so many different ways and having different sets of values, rules are an absolute must.

Whatever the rules for the Snag Proof Open state, it is the responsibility of the angler to make sure that their catch is recorded properly. If I don't agree with my weight, I can request one re-weigh, but that weight is final. If I notice that they are not weighing my big fish, then I need to stop them and make sure they weigh it as a big fish.

I understand it's not fun to find out a smaller fish than yours got a prize, but we are responsible as anglers to make sure our weights are properly recorded, and if it required "declaring" that you want a fish weighed as your big bass, then we must do so.
Yes, but as confirmed by several who have tried to look up said requirement to declare a big fish, that rule is nowhere to be found. And even if the rule actually existed in print it really wasn't applied fairly as documented on the first page of this thread. The amateur category winner himself posted that he did not declare his fish yet was awarded big fish money.

So what good is the rule if it isn't even applied fairly or consistently???
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

DanO, about common sense and rules..I might agree with you that not everyones common sense is the same, obviously some people have none..If you pull up and stop at a red light, with a police officer that happens to be coming from the other direction, you are both stopped, no other traffic around, when a fire truck pulls in behind you with lights and sirens going..You pull through the red light, (violating the law) and immediately pull to the right to allow the emergency vehicle to proceed..Do you think the police officer is going to flip a u-turn and give you a ticket..Of course not, common sense applies..There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting people to use their heads for something other than holding their ears apart..

That rule does not appear in the written rules, if it is a special rule as some say, it wasn't broadcast so everyone would know..Now some people have fished tournaments where it was either written or broadcast and did declare..Others had no clue it was any kind of requirement ever..Something is amiss here..Common sense should tell you that also..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Dom

Post by Dom »

Mac,

I hear ya with the common sense . I might have come off alittle harsh not meaning to, just brought back a bad time we had. Gary Watts and I use to fish team tournaments togeather (FPT) we were on Lake Oroville and we all know how tight the weights are on them spots anyway the exact same thing happen to me at the scales I did not declare our big fish and it would have gotten 1st big fish money we paid our options and we challenged the ruling right there and then at the weigh-in and we were told we were wrong its common knowledge in tournaments you have to declare. Yea I was highly upset and thats a under statement. We had over a 3 pound spot and it got beat buy a 2 lb spot.

No one had our backs it was what it was and we had to move on. From that day on I always decleared a big fish and fell in line as the COMMON SENSE was ITS COMMON SENSE that you have to declare a big fish. In all the tournaments you fished. I never once had a guy at the scales ask if I had a big fish to declare. My ol man always told me growing up, that common sense is somthing your born with and you cant be taught. Well again I beg to differ a 22yo guy from Texas was taught its common sense to declare a big fish in California Bass Tournaments :D :D :D
Tight Lines Dom
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

All you guys are saying that "declaring" your big fish is an unwritten/understood rule yet day two's amateur big fish winner was awarded the option without having to declare anything. Go figure... :lol:
supermat

Post by supermat »

Senkoboy,
Sorry to hear about the situation but I'm glad you enjoyed the event as a whole. It was a lot of fun helping out. I didn't work the scales on day one, only day two so I really don't have any insights into how it all worked out.

Dom,
Thank you so much for keeping it cool about the short fish. I've been on your end of it and now I've been on the declaring end... both suck. I really appreciate you not giving me an ear full, the situation was a bummer but your coolness really helped for all involved.

Matt Allen
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hey supermatt

No problem , I knew I was wrong, when yall said I was wrong and again first time ever I have been given a penalty in a tournament, yea I slipped plain and simple. However while everyone was going off about the short fish what did I say? I want to weigh big fish , right? :D :D :D :D You did a great job Matt and we had fun no complaining here.
Tight Lines Dom
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Dom, I do understand why one should declare their big fish, expecially if it is actually written in the rules or passed out as a special rule for all contestants..It would seem this was not done..In any case, when you only weigh in one fish it is extremely obvious it is your big fish, if declared or not..Anyone with a functioning brain and at least one good eye should be able to discern that..

I remember back to a PRO/AM on Shasta where on the first day the Ams were told there was no point in weighing in a big fish unless you thought it exceeded "X" pounds, as two had already been weighed in..(They were paying back two places on big fish I believe)..As it eventually turned out had anyone insisted their fish be weighed, they would have won the pot because the two that were recorded were not in the big fish option..It would not have mattered in my case as I did not manage a single legal fish that first day..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

snag proof should just man up and say they screwed up and pay the man.... i dont think a big fish check will hurt there pocket book, and just might be a good thing for them in the long run. everyone makes mistakes... guy only brought in one fish... and it should be honored... it would be good karma for snag proof too.. just my 2 cents
whazup

Post by whazup »

Every once in a while I am tempted to try tournament fishing.......but it passes...
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I looked at the rules and there is no declare rule listed anywhere in the SP official rules. Also, it seems they use big fish as the first tie breaker. So what would they have done in the case of a tie? Seems to me if it is used as a tie breaker every team would be required to weigh their biggest fish right? How else would it work?
senkoboy

Post by senkoboy »

Hey all,

I definatley appriciate all the support and insight. I am happy to say that I have spoke to the T.D. and he has made all right and even admited himself that after checking, the "declare rule" was not there and such has included our fish into the process. He also chucked in a nice gesture in a future tourny that we are pleased with. I cant even imagine how tough it must be to run and manage this big a group and put out fires all day and I am thankfull for his efforts.

To recapp, we did have a great time last weekend and as very average fishing guys it is pretty cool to fish along with all the big dogs for a couple of days and the crowd is a fun group. I hope also this will help in the future for making sure all guys double check for rules that are there ..... and not there.

Regards,

al
I think therefore I fish.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

birdi23nls wrote:
Brian wrote:
I have been running the tub for ABA Delta for going on 5 years and did it at Folsom for 2 years and I always ask every angler. Not a big deal. Just want to help them out in case they forget. It's the decent thing to do.

there you go...honestly how big of a deal is it to ask, "Is that your big fish?"
OK Brian saying 25 "Folsom"to maybe 50 times "Delta" is more managable. But at the Snagproof they had 175 boats and the ones I work average over 100 boats. Sorry but even as much as I run my mouth I would lose my voice.

Ok now back to the subject if it was NOT stated in the rules that you HAD TO DECLARE YOUR BIG FISH then YOU GOT SCREWED!!!!! But you should have called who ever was runnung the tournament FIRST. It's amazing how A simple phone call can go along way.

Hope it works out for you in the end, Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

g-man wrote:
Brian wrote:
Exactly my thought, been staff for Folsom ABA for 3 years, we always ask how many fish, and if they want to weigh bf! Its just a simple reminder to make sure guys weigh their BF!

GMAN can you actually count to 5 fish??? Surprised they let you near the scale after watching try to back A boat into the water BWAHHAHHAH :lol: :lol: J/K
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
g-man

Post by g-man »

Terry, hey that was years ago... :D

Where you the goof that didnt know how to weigh a BF in??

You :arrow: :o :arrow: FPT!

:)
100% LL
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

THIRSTY....
LL South
fishfan

Post by fishfan »

Terry Smith wrote:
Ok now back to the subject if it was NOT stated in the rules that you HAD TO DECLARE YOUR BIG FISH then YOU GOT SCREWED!!!!! But you should have called who ever was runnung the tournament FIRST. It's amazing how A simple phone call can go along way.

Hope it works out for you in the end, Terry
LMAO Terry, learn how to read before you post :lol: In the opening post he said they went to the TD :shock: and in the post right above yours he said it has been worked out :shock: JS :lol:
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL
Dom

Post by Dom »

Al , Glad it worked out for yall, and I even learned a important lesson dont assume anything, read the rules :D :D :D :D
Tight Lines Dom
Brian

Post by Brian »

Terry Smith wrote: OK Brian saying 25 "Folsom"to maybe 50 times "Delta" is more managable. But at the Snagproof they had 175 boats and the ones I work average over 100 boats. Sorry but even as much as I run my mouth I would lose my voice.
I don't care how many boats are in the event. I have also worked 2 or 3 Pro Teens with almost 100 boats and I did it there too. Hell half the time I just weigh their big fish on my own and announce to the TD that I'm weighing a big fish for the team.

It all comes down to the growing trend of laziness in today's society and work force. Nobody wants to put in any bit of extra effort these days.

Anyway, It sounds like it was made right by the TD or Snag Proof so that is good to hear. I just hope it wasn't because of all the bitching in this thread but because someone knew they had done wrong and wanted to make it right.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Brian

Post by Brian »

P.S. The one thing I would like to say on this subject is: To make the weigh in process run faster, it would be nice if the teams all knew which fish was their biggest fish when they got to the scales, either with a tag or have it in a separate bag. Nothing pisses me off more than having to dump the fish in the tub and wait for 5 minutes for the angler to sort through the tub and try and decide what fish is their biggest.....buy a damn balance beam or a good scale and put it in your boat! and use it...... :evil:
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
fishfan

Post by fishfan »

Brian wrote:P.S. The one thing I would like to say on this subject is: To make the weigh in process run faster, it would be nice if the teams all knew which fish was their biggest fish when they got to the scales, either with a tag or have it in a separate bag. Nothing pisses me off more than having to dump the fish in the tub and wait for 5 minutes for the angler to sort through the tub and try and decide what fish is their biggest.....buy a damn balance beam or a good scale and put it in your boat! and use it...... :evil:
EXACTLY 8)
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL
flipit

Post by flipit »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:I hate to say it, but common sense says if a team only weighs in one fish, that is their big fish..I can understand if a team were to weigh in more than one fish, especially if they were close in size having to declare this fish (their choice, right or wrong) as their big fish..It should not take a rocket scientist to discern which fish is the big fish when only one is weighed in..
Exactly! Ima go cut the lawn again. :roll:
Fishing should be fun.
kb

Post by kb »

I get the chance to work with Gary Stiles from Northwest Bass several times each year at tournaments in Washington State. What they do makes great sense every team puts a culling float it their biggest fish that they want weighed as a big fish. No confusion at the scales, no you forgot to ask me or you forgot to declare your big fish.

He weighs your big fish, hands you back your culling float (yes before the fish is weighed because you could use a heavier cull float than the other guy and win my hundreds of ounces)

The Snag Proof crew made it right, everyone learned a lesson and let's go fishing.........

How about those Western guys fishing the Forrest Wood Cup this week?????

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

[quote="kb"]I get the chance to work with Gary Stiles from Northwest Bass several times each year at tournaments in Washington State. What they do makes great sense every team puts a culling float it their biggest fish that they want weighed as a big fish. No confusion at the scales, no you forgot to ask me or you forgot to declare your big fish.

He weighs your big fish, hands you back your culling float (yes before the fish is weighed because you could use a heavier cull float than the other guy and win my hundreds of ounces)

The Snag Proof crew made it right, everyone learned a lesson and let's go fishing.........

How about those Western guys fishing the Forrest Wood Cup this week?????
Freelance Outdoor Writer
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

senkoboy wrote:I am happy to say that I have spoke to the T.D. and he has made all right and even admited himself that after checking, the "declare rule" was not there and such has included our fish into the process. He also chucked in a nice gesture in a future tourny that we are pleased with.
Good to see the situation was resolved to your satisfaction. What I don't get is why the TD was adamant about holding you to a non-existent rule and disqualifying your catch yet allowed the big fish option to be awarded to a non-declared big fish the following day...
flippenfool

Post by flippenfool »

If you only have one fish there is no need to declare a big fish, it is only obvious.
Mike Moreno
http://www.revengebaits.com/
http://www.teamccmarine.com/
http://shop.peregrine250.com/
http://www.stcroixrods.com/
http://www.jigssnakebitebaits.com
http://MonsterFishingTackle.com
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

I watch all the Elite weigh-ins and Trip Weldon (The best weigh master of all) always grabs a big fish when he see's one and just weighs it. I went to one FPT weigh-in at Melones and a boy about ten years old brings up his bag and is very nervous. I could see he wasn't going to ask them to weigh his big spot. So I tell him to ask them and they got pissed at me. Just a really bad lesson for a kid. They said the rule was for training anglers what to do when they step up in competition. Well it's not the rule at the very top of the game. Bad deal IMHO.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

It's great to hear that the situation was reviewed and handled appropriately. Way to go Snag Proof!! - Agreed, great to see a resolution to the conflict. Have a great weekend of fishing
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/