Delta Colors - Dark or Light

Morgan

Delta Colors - Dark or Light

Post by Morgan »

So other than night, low light conditions, or when it's real muddy, when do you use dark colors like junebug. I heard that crawwfish turn that color a certain time of the year. All I ever see are red pincers in my livewells. I have not see any crawfish but know they are a regular food source there. I have more confidence in watermelons and green punkin colors. Can you use dark colors there all day?, in the clearer water?

Morgan
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Delta Colors - Dark or Light

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

For the last several years one of the most productive colors for Senkos on the Delta for me has been the plum with emerald flake..That is about as dark as you can get them..I have had success with it just about all year..Everyone has their own favorites, no doubt, I also use a lot of the watermelon and pumpkin colors..Truthfully I haven't found any colors that do not work any time of the year..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
bustout

Post by bustout »

I use 2 basic colors, junebug and watermelon in all my plastics. I use both all day and a catch fish....most days 1 works better than the other.....I probably use junebug 70% of the time since I fish dawn to noon or 3pm to dusk as there is some darkness in sun up or sun down.
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

A couple weeks ago I was landing lots of fish on a red & black crank in stained water. My buddy got a couple on a shad color. We then went into a clear dead end slough and the tables had turned. His bites were off the scale on his shad color and mine stopped altogether. I was on the bow so I was getting first crack at the hot spots but the fish in the clear water wanted his color. Naturally I switched to his color and was back on top
Support 81
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

red and black cranks and spinnerbaits
black and gold spinnerbaits
watermelon red senko
plum emerald flake senko

... all work.

Are they bluegill colors..or crawdad colors...or both I don't know.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
HEH

Post by HEH »

Morgan,

Can't tell you. Have way too many reasons already why I don't want to give you any more info. But, PB&J, and 301 are my two favorites.

You spend way, way too much time on the Delta for me or 95% of the other wanabees on this forum to be giving you secrets.

Just kidding of course, except about the PB&J.

Harold
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Ok, Harold, I'll spill the beans just for you. It's a secret but for the next tournament only use color 229 ......

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Morgan, for me, choosing between dark and light colors is more seasonal and temperature related. I'll use blacks, blues and junebug colors more in the winter months when the temperatures are much cooler here. Then in the spring and summer, I'll fish more neutural, earth tone colors when the temps are above 60 degrees. There are times when darker colors, can be more effective in the dirtier water, year round, yet some of my best bites in dirty water will come on a white or Chartruesse crank or blade.

I used to think the same thing here, water color dictated the color we should be using. This is something that's been pounded into our minds fer ever, like it's color choice 101 right. Yet about 8 years ago, I got a real awakening and eye opening lesson from Mark Seaters one summer. In the dirtiest of waters, he was smackin fish on a brown/green jig with a watermelon red craw trailer. That bait literally will disappear in 2 inches of dirty water, yet the bass would bust that thing versus the black jig with the 213 trailer I thought would work far better cause they could see it.

There are no real secretes here, only the key that unlocks what the bass want on any given day. Having the willingness and open mind to change when yer not getting bit, is the not so secrete, secrete, to finding the key that triggers the bite. There are no stead fast rules to color choices here, other than if you ain't gettin bit, and the thought to change color pops into yer mind, you should probably make that change, otherwise yer likely to continue down the same path of not gettin bit.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

So how long before you change colors? I typically buy way too much and then fall back to using only 4 colors, and haven't had much luck with the black blue flakes, black green, etc. So, I have reduced to just these confidence ones, only to hear at the weigh-in that I should have been using something else. I'll have one on and keep it on for a hour before I change.

Morgan
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

Last weekend the Senko bite for me was with red ones
Today it was watermelon with flake in the morning and junebug from 11:00 to 1:00.
Clearer water today in the same areas as last weekend.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

If I ain't getting bit, the instant the thought pops into my mind that maybe I should change colors, I change. I'll run through my cycle of colors, if one doesn't work, i go back to what I started with or try a completely different bait.
Morgan wrote:So how long before you change colors? I typically buy way too much and then fall back to using only 4 colors, and haven't had much luck with the black blue flakes, black green, etc. So, I have reduced to just these confidence ones, only to hear at the weigh-in that I should have been using something else. I'll have one on and keep it on for a hour before I change.

Morgan
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks all, I usually have too many rods on deck for different techniques, but maybe I'll try multiple colors instead.

Morgan