4WD Important/Necessary?

GregD

4WD Important/Necessary?

Post by GregD »

I’ve been towing my Basscat Pantera w/200 Opti that I bought in January with my old (158,000 miles) 2000 Dodge Durango 4WD SUV. It’s getting pretty long in the tooth so I’m planning on replacing it soon with a late model used pick-up.

My question is how important is it to have 4WD? I’ve been searching the internet for used F150’s, RAM’s, Tundras and Silverado’s in the $20k-$30k range with less than 40,000 miles and I’ve seen that there are far more 2WD versions available than 4WD. They also are a bit less pricey.

I haven’t really needed the 4WD on the Durango very often. I DID put it in 4WD last February when driving to Bidwell ramp at McClure and snow was coming down pretty hard. On the ramps I haven’t bothered putting it in 4WD and I’ve pulled the boat out fine.

So it doesn’t seem that 4WD is that important? What do you guys think?
Greg
CN

Re: 4WD Important/Necessary?

Post by CN »

The last truck I bought was in 2006 and I got a 4wd because I had a few time's where my 2wd at some ramp's would spin the tire's but I have never put that truck in 4wd ever.

My next one will be 2wd.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

sounds like you just answered your own question. No its not necessary. There may be a rare occasion where it would be really nice to have, but for a majority of the time, it isn't needed.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
offduty

Post by offduty »

I have been wanting a different truck for a while. 4 wheel drive is necessary for hunting for me, I also tow a 21' boat. After much research I have decide my next truck will be a 73-74 F-250 4X4. These trucks are smog exempt and have a Dana 60 rear axle with Dana 44 solid axle front and NP205 T case. They also have a leaf spring front end and can be found for 2-3 K. Drop in the 5.9 cummins out of an old Dodge and you have great power and some pretty darn good mileage as well as excellent longevity. You can do this for 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of what you are talking about and have a longer lasting more durable truck with more power and better mileage. You would have to give up the airbag and possibly power windows though but with a ZF 5 trans and the right gearing these trucks are sweet and very tough. Registration would be a lot cheaper and so would insurance. Good luck with whatever you decide
Rich
Marc

Post by Marc »

Make sure whatever you buy (2wd, 4wd, or AWD) that it has a limited slip differential.

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

offduty wrote:I have been wanting a different truck for a while. 4 wheel drive is necessary for hunting for me, I also tow a 21' boat. After much research I have decide my next truck will be a 73-74 F-250 4X4. These trucks are smog exempt and have a Dana 60 rear axle with Dana 44 solid axle front and NP205 T case. They also have a leaf spring front end and can be found for 2-3 K. Drop in the 5.9 cummins out of an old Dodge and you have great power and some pretty darn good mileage as well as excellent longevity. You can do this for 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of what you are talking about and have a longer lasting more durable truck with more power and better mileage. You would have to give up the airbag and possibly power windows though but with a ZF 5 trans and the right gearing these trucks are sweet and very tough. Registration would be a lot cheaper and so would insurance. Good luck with whatever you decide
I like this thinking. It is exacly what I have been considering. Already owning some early model fords. They are bullet proof.
On another note I would like to add that if you end up with a 2wd you can always add a selectable locking rear differential. I personaly would look at an air locker by ARB.
as and avid offroader I can tell you that the locker will take you to 90% of the places 4x4 will.
Lockers on a 4x4 take the fun out of offroading because the truck just crawls over everything without effort. When I come to difficult obstical on the trail I flip on the locker. once through the tough part I switch it back off. All from inside the cab.

Lockers are no good for highway use at all. Dangerous infact. but it will yank out any boat trailer with no problem.
ARB lockers are operated by a toggle switch mounted in the cab. flip the switch and your locked. switch off and your back to and open differntial for the street.
just shut up and fish
GregD

Post by GregD »

Thanks for all the input. Looks like most believe 2WD is sufficient which gives me a lot more options.

I DO like the idea of adding a lockable rear diff. I'll have to look into what that would cost.
Greg
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

I have always owned a 2wd truck and have never needed 4wd YET on any ramp...saltwater or freshwater. Granted, I have never towed anything large, mostly around 17-18', but have pulled out on some very slick ramps. I notice that lots of guys who have trouble with 2wd vehicles have STOCK tires on their rides. Right now I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 2wd. The stock tires were a joke...245/70/17 if memory serves correct. They were small and would even lose grip in the rain. Since 2006 I've been running 275/55/20's with an aggressive tread pattern. with the better tread and increased width they grip the ramp like glue and have never given me a problem. I feel that I can launch on any ramp as long as it isn't gravel or covered in snow!

Paul
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

Any estimate on what it would cost to add a locker? Im very interested in adding one to my 05 2wd expedition.
offduty

Post by offduty »

gofish42189 wrote:Any estimate on what it would cost to add a locker? Im very interested in adding one to my 05 2wd expedition.
Try googling ARB air locker, If I remember correctly they aint cheap.
Rich
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I have a 2wd 1500 and I have never had issues of being stuck at the ramp, I have fished iced conditions but not strait up snow.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

2wd and a locker or limited slip (posi) will do just fine
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

I had a 02 F150 2wd extra cab and would spin tires on some ramps. Have 07 1500 chevy 2wd extra cab now and have never spun A tire pulling out even on steep ramps. If you pull in snow or ice I would go with 4wd personally.

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Marty

Post by Marty »

Shasta in Jan at Bridge Bay Resort when the water is low!

Other than that 2WD with limited slip differential.
GregD

Post by GregD »

Interesting that the consensus opinion when I posted this question to BBC was that it would be important to have 4WD. Maybe because most of those guys live in other parts of the country. Their weather tends to be worse on average than ours in NorCal.
Greg
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Like the saying goes, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it :D .
offduty

Post by offduty »

The back end of most pickups is usually pretty light when empty. More tongue weight can help along with good tires and the right rear end.
Rich
b2customrods

Post by b2customrods »

Couple things here. First, dont bother with 4wd. I have only owned one in my life and in the nine years i had it I only used the 4wd one time and that was just for checking it out.I had a 70 three door suburban 3/4 ton that had a Detroit locker rear end and it took that truck everywhere I wanted to go. My favorite was a 70 F150 2wd had a small 302 V8 with a limited slip rear. I lived in Spokane at the time and never once used chains. Drove through snow and icey roads everyday during winter.

You also need to think about your gas mileage 2wd vs. 4wd. The transfer case and front differential still spin those gears this robs HP it also adds weight this all takes away mileage.

Lastly. Make sure if you get a GM that you get a 3/4 ton or 2500 with at minimum a 5.7L I would opt for a 6.0L. The transmission in a 1500 is a crappy 4L60E the 2500 has a 4L80E. I have a 2wd Yukon XL (Suburban) that I just had my third transmission failure and had to have it totally rebuilt.

With all that said, just go out and get a diesel in 2wd and be done with it. You wont worry about towing anything anywhere!
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

b2customrods wrote:
With all that said, just go out and get a diesel in 2wd and be done with it. You wont worry about towing anything anywhere!

+1 on a diesel. Years ago I had a f350 and launched a jet ski when the water level at berryessa was really, really low. Got stuck in the mud and my dad's buddy yanked us out with his power stroke diesel. He pulled a few guys out that day. He later put his truck up for sale and I bought it. Definitely my best tow vehicle I've owned. Only problem was it topped out at 70 mph but this was back in the mid nineties. I'm sure it's better now. I woulda bought another but the oil companies got wise to the cheap diesel prices
Support 81
vinny

Post by vinny »

I have been run off the road 3 times over the years while towing my boat. 4WD has been indispensable for me. I wouldn't tow wihout it. I can launch in low water conditions, and off of dirt launching areas.