When Is it Ethics Vs Encroachment ?

Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

On Sat & Sunday. I was fishing at Clear Lake at a club tournament in Rodmen Slu. As usual there was a major tournament at the lake with over a hundred boat draw plus the regular fun fishing boats around and guide boats. So things were crowded and the tempers were up with the competition.

We were located on the outside of the bridge with-in casting distance of it on the east side and pretty much stayed on one spot. What I noticed, were boats from the major tournament moving with-in 75 feet and even closer to us and each other, even cutting us off from the areas were were casting too by about half. To the point of sitting on the area I was casting to. this happened several times and each time I got a look from the guy on the trolling motor that said "Go A-Head And Say Something, I Dare Ya!!!"

We were the first ones at the slu early Sunday morning, but pretty soon here they came and I counted 12 boats on the side of the bridge we were on and several on the inside as well. with more stacked up at the mouth of the slu. Sort of like take a number and wait for your turn !

The second boat that came in and started to fish was on em good and netted several quality fish and we started to talk. Sense we were fishing a club tournament we didn't want to mess it up for them and did not cast into their area even though we could have. but when the other competitors did. it was open season and the crap started ! with guys moving in on em. After a bit of this nonsense going on I said loud enough hear by the fist boater, What was the Encroachment Rule after a guy just cut me off by moving in to less than 50 feet and pretty much cutting me and the others from casting to the area they were catching the fish from. They started to do this when they noticed that the guys we were talking to were catching fish. The guy who cut us off said "The Encroachment Rule Was Thrown Out, So Get Over It "!!!

HUH !!!!!! So now it's every one for them self's, and too bad !!!!!???? When did that go into effect ??? and no wonder I stay the hell out of tournaments.
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
sTony

Re: When Is it Ethics Vs Encroachment ?

Post by sTony »

Some events have encroachment rules and others, likely most now, do not. It''s tough when you have guys fishing more the one tournament on the same lake and possibly more then one set of rules that govern how you're supposed to fish. Your club may have encroachment rules but the tournament org may not have them. When you're on the water, no one's right and everyone's right, all at the same time.

That said, Rodman is a popular, common ground type of area that most every angler that's fished Clear Lake will at least check in when pre-fishing for a tournament. Might not all fish it the same way or even the same parts of the slough but many anglers have their approach to Rodman and it is a popular location during most any event. And when there are no encroachments rules, its best to put your blinders on and go fishing, not worry about who's close and who's catching 'em right behind you, but focus on your fish and get your share of them.

I've lost all thought about the guy 'fishing to close to me' and just fish where I'm at at the time and if I feel crowded, tend to pick up the trolling motor and move OR just put the blinders on keep doing what I'm doing and dial down my hearing sense and try to focus on feel and sight instead and, when I do it right, you could be two feet away from me and I won't notice or care. It's just me and the fish.

sTony
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

I'm sorry but if you cut me off and then act like an *** once I say something I'm just gonna start my main motor and blow throught the spot and kill it for both of us then. Its crazy how people treat each other now a days. If someone gets to the spot before I do then they have all the right to have the spot. And if you wana fish near em just ask where and what they are fishing and ask if it would be okay to fish by them.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I fished Clear Lake recently for the WRL TOC and never had any encroachment issues at all. everyone was pretty considerate of each others water. I've heard its a free for all up there though, glad that i didn't have to experience it first hand.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Guy, unfortunately this is quite common, especially at Clear Lake. I was up there a few weeks ago for the FLW Everstart and saw 6 boats circling the wagon on one spot. It was funny as heck! I also heard, though not confirmed, that a guy ran in to one of the leaders for Day 1. On day 2, he went to the Day 1 guys spot even though he was so far out of the lead, it wouldn't have really made much of a difference for his position. When the leader showed up on the spot, he did not yield.

It is what it is and can be unfortunate for someone. As Tony said, just go fish and don't worry about it. Do what you think is right by you and may the best angler win. That being said, I am a big believer in karma and good things do come to good people.

For most organizations, there aren't encroachment rules except if you are anchored.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I know this can and does happen anywhere there is water but for what ever reason it does seem (at least to me) that it is amplified at Clear Lake. I can't explain it nor do I understand why it seems to happen regularly at Clear Lake.

On a seperate note** I hear someone who posted on this thread has a new Toon!**
sky88s

Post by sky88s »

yjjustforme wrote:I'm sorry but if you cut me off and then act like an *** once I say something I'm just gonna start my main motor and blow throught the spot and kill it for both of us then. Its crazy how people treat each other now a days. If someone gets to the spot before I do then they have all the right to have the spot. And if you wana fish near em just ask where and what they are fishing and ask if it would be okay to fish by them.

x100
FLW College Series Record Holder (10.9 California Delta 05/30/2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSC7gpsIY0s
DAN360V

Post by DAN360V »

Hey Guy, my name is Dan Wells. I was fishing inside Rodman Saturday and Sunday for the A/C Pro Teams TOC. What boat brand and color do you have? I was in the dual console Ranger that is red and white with a 200 Opti, I was also fishing in that spot. I know it was crowed in there for sure. Anyway, I hope I was not the one that crowed you to much and if I was then I apolagize! We had a good sack on day 1 and were definetly fishing very agresive on Sunday. With all the boats in there I thought everyone got along pretty well, I did hear of a little drama at the end of sunday, however I had already left that area. It is funny though how guys will move in on other guys when they see them catching fish!! Again, if it was me that got to close and made it uncompfortable for you to fish im am sorry, and I hope you atleast had a good finish in the club event!

Dan Wells
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

[quote="DAN360V"]Hey Guy, my name is Dan Wells. I was fishing inside Rodman Saturday and Sunday for the A/C Pro Teams TOC. What boat brand and color do you have? I was in the dual console Ranger that is red and white with a 200 Opti, I was also fishing in that spot. I know it was crowed in there for sure. Anyway, I hope I was not the one that crowed you to much and if I was then I apolagize! We had a good sack on day 1 and were definetly fishing very agresive on Sunday. With all the boats in there I thought everyone got along pretty well, I did hear of a little drama at the end of sunday, however I had already left that area. It is funny though how guys will move in on other guys when they see them catching fish!! Again, if it was me that got to close and made it uncompfortable for you to fish im am sorry, and I hope you atleast had a good finish in the club event!

Dan Wells[/quote]

Hi Dan & Calfisher 71

The guys who I was talking to on Sun were the second boat into Rodmen on Sun Morning. Were in a Brown & Red Ranger #384 -1995 mdl. These guys were smacking em good and soon boated 4 quality fish. we were eye balling and smiling each other so I asked em about his boat and saying mine was a 94-394 Blue on Blue Ranger. But I was fishing as a back seat er out of a White Cobra.

Calfisher 71. I am not talking bout you at all. I am talking about the guy's who cut us off and the guys in the Brn & Rd Ranger who moved past us and the Ranger guys into the area that the ranger guys were catching there fish from and just sat there with that look on there face, LIKE SO THE F**CK WHAT YA GOING TO DO BOUT IT ??? That's when I spoke up and asked the Brn & RD Ranger guys bout the encroachment rule. The guy who cut us all off spoke up and said they dumped the encroachment rule, so get over it !. We then moved into the middle of the slu when Brown & Red guys moved past the bridge and up the slu. fished for a while and moved up the west bank and out !

So long story short. Calfisher 71 if it's not you, no problem. But ! If it was :twisted: My Middle Finger Is Extended :evil: :lol: So get over it !!!
I was not fishing for a check ! and I don't plan on doing so any time soon ! but if I had and ran into people and fisher men who know better and just say. I got mine first attitudes because Now I got the excuse that the encroachment rule has been dumped and behave and act any way they want with impunity. All I can Do is hang my head and shake it sadly. Saying to my self. It's To Bad That They Have To Act and Behave So Much Like A$$ Holes :cry: :oops:
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Sounds like some people need to find some new water. Clear Lake is huge and there are plenty of other sloughs and good spots. I agree that people shouldnt be rude and trying to catch fish off other peoples transom, but if thats your only spot its time to explore new water.
"Jig fish are big fish"
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

i have to agree with Scott
[quoteI am a big believer in karma and good things do come to good people.

][/quote] i also am a big beliver in what goes around, comes around, its all a matter of time.
respect others on the water as you would expect to be treated.

walt
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

When you can smell his farts.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

There is always going to be some amount of crowding or sharing of fishing spots..Some bodies of water are more noted for it than others..Clearlake is one of the more noted..You would think all of the community holes would have been just about fished out by now, fortunately or unfortunately that is not the case..We should all use our good judgement to determine if we are indeed infringing on someone when we are on the water..Some people use good judgement others do not..Competition can and often does steer us to do things we would not normally do if we were just out enjoying the day fishing..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

[quote="Brian Linehan"]When Is it Ethics Vs Encroachment ?

When you can smell his farts.[/quote]

How about when you can see the stubble on his mug !? Is that close enough ?? or I can tell what mdl sinko he's using !!

Very true that Clear Lake is large, but it gets small when there is so many tournament boats on it and all are fishing aggressively for a check !

As a club fishermen just fishing for a funky trophy. I will ask first when I see guys fishing in a area that I suspect are fishing a money tournament. I never cast into there area and figure they are paying the bucks and pre-fishing time to be there in the first place. Hell I have even moved out of areas when I see em coming ! As a non boater I have no say to area or location were we are fishing from, except to make a suggestion for location on a club event.

On Sunday morning, when the brown and red ranger guys came into Rodmen we were the first boat and they the second. they soon started to catch fish and we backed off to give them room so not to disturb what they were trying to do. Then the rest of the tourney guys all piled in and soon it was boat on boat fishing for the dame fish after the others noticed the brown and red ranger guy's catching fish and the others wanted a piece of there pie. !!!!

I though that the encroachment rule was put into that place for the very reason I witnessed on Sunday to prevent that sort of thing happening in the first place. I guess I could toss a anchor out and say to every one there stay the hell away for 50 or so yards. Fare huh ? Nope not going to do it ! My funky trophy doesn't say that is worth it to me though !
Makes me ask my self and you why was the encrochment rule was dumped in the first place when it was meant to STOP this sort of stuff from happing and what the hell are the tournaments orgs thinking when they got ride of the rule ???? :shock: :?
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

No I dont own a Ranger, But I was passing bye when you asked about the encrouchment rule, and I agree not to crowd people and thats why I headed away from the other anglers. I too found those fish there in pratice and knew they were bigger than average. But being that we fished south early saturday we stayed on the main lake side not to crowd those who fished there saturday above the bridge.

I learned quickly when fishing as Pro in my first Pro Am event. If your on the side of a point another angler will pull right up and fish the tip right in front of you! This being where your headed to. At first I was mad and then I realized at the next level they are trying to WIN. Right or wrong it gets very competetive at the next level. Im sorry you had to get caught up in the middle of that.

There have been Bassmaster events where Byron Velveck and AAron martins are at each others wits end because they found the same spot and same fish.

The last Bassmaster Classic KVD won pulling fish from right in front of other anglers all day for 4 days in a row.

What I would tell you is that these anglers on a practice day would not crowd people, but on game day, well its game day.

right or wrong thats what happens.

Though I preferre not to crowd people myself.
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
bassbooger

Post by bassbooger »

When fishing becomes a job, I just call in sick. :wink:
Bass Booger
offduty

Post by offduty »

Wow, some people are a lot more competitive than others. I got into fishing as an escape and working the weekends and fishing the week helps me achieve that most of the time. Even being a recreational fishermen gets kind of expensive for me with the boat payment and gas. I try to stay away from others when fishing unless I see a friend and want to say hello. I typically give a guy 100 yds.

I feel like I probably have the unpopular opinion but I work hard to try and get my recreational fishing time in and expect folks to give me some room as I do them. The fact that a guy is in a tournament means absolutely nothing to me other than I expect them to be less respectful of where others are fishing on the lake. That doesn't mean I dont admire the fishing skills of others as surely there are many better than me. I just wont yield to someone who is fishing a tournament because they are fishing for money. there is no one paying my boat and fuel bills, I am not sponsored, I pay my own way and try to lay as low as possible.

If life was easy and not so competitive perhaps I would not need my time on the water. Driving the crowded California freeways has become so competitive and there are to many clueless idiots unaware of what is going on around them. Go to the store or to do just about anything and there are usually plenty of folks that are just in their own little world and holding things up when they could be considerate and realize their are others around and they need to get out of the way instead of lolly gagging around. Seems kind of ironic that as a firefighter the least stressful part of my life is emergencies dealing with life and property. The most stressful is driving to and from work or anywhere else, or visiting a public establishment due to the absolutely clueless that seem to be so out of focus.

I just dont understand why so many seem to need to be stroked and put up on a pedestal unless it has something to do with an underlying insecurity. Know I certainly understand that folks will excel at things and be recognized for those achievements and I wish them the best. If you are a hardcore tournament angler I actually wish you the best but dont expect me to yield to you when you get to fish for a living and have sponsors paying you to do it. I give the same 100 yds to everyone and I have to pay to fish.

The more time I spend on this rock the more it is reinforced that these two principles hold true.

1. He who has the juice card will use it to their advantage and usually without regard to how it affects others they are not real close too.

2. That it is not what you know but who you know that gets you ahead in life and there are way to many control freaks.

Quite frequently when I am out on the lake I make a run to a favorite spot I have had for years only to find someone there so I go find another spot to fish. This post was never intended to offend only state an opinion of someone who puts in 288 - 384 hrs a month and enjoys his time on the water and sees it as an escape that allows me to unwind and sort of reset myself to go back to work.

Have an excellent life and fantastic day :P :P
Rich
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I wish you the best off duty..You most certainly have earned you recreation time..I cannot disagree with a single thing you posted, even though I do enjoy the competition of a tournament, even though I have seldom done very well in them..I have no sponsors, other than myself, and expect none..If people would just stop and think a whole lot of these incidents would never happen..But people being people, they often just do not stop and think..Even if you are fishing in a tourney, you have no more rights on the water than someone just out fun fishing..You have no more rights than one of your competitors..If they got there first, they got there first..Find somewhere else to fish..If that one spot is all you have going for you, you just might be in a world of hurt..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

I have to agree with everything offduty said...
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

I share the same mentallity as OffDuty. As a recreational fisherman I ask for nothing more than common curtousy. Tournament or not. I've labored intensively to enjoy my time on the water and that demands as much respect as any one else out there. When confronted with a situation where I may end up on the same spot of another angler, I respectively acknowledge it with em and usually am given equal respect. Another words, positive attitudes generate positivity.
Support 81