Ethics vs Encroachment - a further observation

Larry Hemphill

Ethics vs Encroachment - a further observation

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I read this previous thread with interest - which featured some good comments. I stay out of these discussions since I don't fish tournaments and many of my friends and clients do fish tournaments. This is just a report on what happened yesterday at Clear Lake. I was doing a "teach the lake" guide trip for a good angler who might get more involved in tournaments. He has a new bass boat. Twice yesterday, with no boats near ours, two bass boats pulled right in front of us - one on the VERY NEXT dock (with probably 30 docks to choose from) - about 60 feet in front of us. No one else near us. In the early afternoon, I was showing him the Frazier Point area. As in the morning incident, we were fishing as I described the area and how to approach it under different conditions. We were heading to the wall on the point - again - amazingly - no one around. A bass boat came roaring up and takes the point - again maybe 100 feet ahead of us. None of the 4 anglers in the two boats even looked at us much less said "Hi." On a tournament day, I could understand this to some degree - but not yesterday. I am not offended by this behavior, but I do wonder what my clients think when they see this. My client yesterday is a professional educator - teaching at the state college level. Bass anglers want to be recognized as professionals also. Behavior like this will not help them achieve that goal. This is not an anti-anything post. Just a statement of facts that may help someone remember the disappearing act of courtesy.
Ringer

Re: Ethics vs Encroachment - a further observation

Post by Ringer »

Had it happen a few times. I spent 20 years combat fishing in Oregon and Alaska for salmon. If I am fun fishing I will let it go. If I am in a tournament and you pull in close enough to hit your gelcoat with a 1oz blade it will happen over and over until you flight or fight. I think courtesy in general is going away because too many men don't confront rude people and beat the snot out of one once in a while. I could care less about jail or getting sued. I do think tournament organizations are asking for trouble eliminating encroachment rules. It invites bad behaviour.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Simple observation: competition breeds contempt no matter the venue.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

Larry, well said and that is spot on in my view as well. I see this on Clear lake more than anywhere else here in Nor-Cal. It has become a problem there and IMHO Ringer is right too in some circumstances, a little fear never hurt nobody... :D

Have a nice day, :)
Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...