Alabama Rig

kb

Alabama Rig

Post by kb »

We talked about it today on the show and some of the guys are fishing this at the FLW event on Guntersville but this Alabama Rig that has five swimbaits or spinnerbaits on five seperate wire leaders is not legal in CA. I am sure some of the local stores are trying to be the first ones to get them in but I am afraid there may be some guys in trouble or protested if they are using them out here. This is from the CA fishing regulations:

2.00. Fishing Methods -- General.
(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions.
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Long Nguyen

Re: Alabama Rig

Post by Long Nguyen »

What an odd looking set up too. I'd be hard pressed to try one for black bass but I see a lot of potential with stripers rigging a mix of fish traps, grubs and flukes.

You are spot on with the three hooks though.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

So Kent, if I were to take one of the Alabama rigs, remove two of the spacer wires, then attatch three swimming jigs tipped with single tailed grubs, it should be leagal..Not that I want to even try it..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Marty

Post by Marty »

I seen Aaron Coleman use a set up with two swimbaits back in 2006, one following the other, good looking set up. I even used a drop shot at Havasu back in 2006 with three hooks – should have seen the Pro laugh at me! :lol: Think I will go back to using it. 8)
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

The Umbrella Rig is illegal? Someone may want to tell the Striper guys this.......
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

kb wrote: 2.00. Fishing Methods -- General.
(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions.
As long as you only put baits on three of the wires you should be fine in CA ;)

I guess they could make one with only three wires and call it a California Rig :lol:
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
frank

Post by frank »

It is legal, just use 3 swimbaits with hooks a the rest without. Make the lines longer on the swimbaits with hooks and the fish will take out the straglers in the back.
kb

Post by kb »

No Frank it is not more than three hooks nor more than three lures...........

hooks or not you can only have three!!!!

kb
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

How does that apply to California guys in the salt trolling spreader bars and daisy chains? I've never heard of that being against regs but who knows? You have a ton of baits on those things even if there aren't hooks in all of them. I don't think baits without hooks would be an issue, otherwise swivels, beads, etc., could be classified the same way, right?
kb

Post by kb »

I have no idea guys I posted the regulation exactly the way it reads from the Fish and Game Fishing Regulations and bolded the area that would effect the Alabama Rig. If you guys think you have a way around it have at it!!!! The reg says no more than three hooks or three artificial lures.

If you threw it in a tournament I would expect you would probably be protested and reading this regulation I would suspect you would be disqualified....

kb
drew

Post by drew »

There are no leaders. It is considered one bait or lure. As the rule reads you can have unlimited fish features on one bait with three hooks.
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

I could really see this rig ( or something close to it) doing very well at Naci right now!!
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

There will be a version with 3 baits and 2 design elements that will not feature hooks... coming soon for CA. 5 baits everywhere else. Been used at Clear Lake and has caught giants. Soon. Very Soon.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

lots of striper guys down here use them with the 5 swimbaits ALL with hooks... how many dfg guys are really going to be checking out these umbrella rigs to see if there only running 3 hooks... i know one guide who uses 2 umbrella rigs, so you looking at 10 hooks... but he always slays the stripers and a few largies and smallies too... good luck keeping guys from using only 3 baits with hooks...
sTony

Post by sTony »

Is it just me, likely so, or does this rig just not sound very 'sporting'? Sure sounds like something a commercial fisherman might use and I've got no problem with that but to use something like this in a tournament just seems like you'd just be eliminating any and all skill.

sTony
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

STony,
Tell that to the guys that did not get a check. Bet they wish that they had one. Not saying that I disagree but Pual put a beat down on those boys.
The Wanabepro
edbass

Post by edbass »

Don't forget STony The Alabama Rig works best when used with the Hydrowave.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

sTony, it definitely is not as sporting as using a single lure in my opinion..Using the rig does not assure you you will do as well as Elias did..You still have to be using it in the right place at the right time..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

sTony wrote:Is it just me, likely so, or does this rig just not sound very 'sporting'? Sure sounds like something a commercial fisherman might use and I've got no problem with that but to use something like this in a tournament just seems like you'd just be eliminating any and all skill.

sTony
Amen
It's not just you.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

sTony wrote:Is it just me, likely so, or does this rig just not sound very 'sporting'? Sure sounds like something a commercial fisherman might use and I've got no problem with that but to use something like this in a tournament just seems like you'd just be eliminating any and all skill.

sTony
So what is un-"sporting" about it?

You still need to find catchable fish, still need to rig it with baits the fish will eat, cast and retrieve it just like any other rig and still CATCH the fish. And it is available for the "common" population to purchase (although a little bit of back order on it right now... just like any "new" sensation) and use. Sounds "sporting" to me. Just another trick to put in the bag... Next week, next month, next year... what will be the next un-"sporting" rig that someone will create that kicks butt?

I also guess that if this rig is un-"sporting", any other rig that use multiple baits (i.e. multi-rig dropshot, multi-fluke rigs) are also un-"sporting" to. Where do we draw the line?
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

You draw the line in AZ by having only two of the five lures with hooks. If you go over that you will be cited and it is expensive. Same old spreader rig used for fishing for centuries. Why not allow downriggers and trolling? Living proof that people will figure out every loophole to win a check. I am sure this will create a new section in the tournament rules.
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Yep...I was thinking the same thing. This will make it into the rule books for next season. I am sure that there are guys who are made that they did not figure it out before it become outlawed.

I wont be buying any anytime soon.
The Wanabepro
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

I threw one with 5 hud 16's. Me and the rod went over the side on the first cast. Lost the rod, reel and all the baits. Then I damn near drowned. :lol:
http://www.dobynsrods.com
drew

Post by drew »

I believe that AZ and CA refer to an artificial lure as one hook. In Ca they specify a limit of three hooks for one artificial lure, but in AZ they do not. Theoretically in CA you could fish three Super Spooks on one line even though the hook count would equal 9. Someone could do the same with two Alabama rigs, with three hooks on each. The Alabama rig is one lure just like a spinnerbait. The wire frame is attached directly to the fish feature.

How long until we see someone using one in a CA tournament? My guess is this Saturday or the next. It will be soon.

AZ Reg.

Hook and Line Methods

Anglers may use only one line or pole with
no more than two hooks. An artificial lure
is considered one hook

Ringer wrote:You draw the line in AZ by having only two of the five lures with hooks. If you go over that you will be cited and it is expensive. Same old spreader rig used for fishing for centuries. Why not allow downriggers and trolling? Living proof that people will figure out every loophole to win a check. I am sure this will create a new section in the tournament rules.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

That's some funny stuff! Wondered about casting that rig. Drew you are correct and that is two lures per Alabama rig with the rest as attracters.
drew

Post by drew »

Actually what I'm saying is that AZ does not have a limit on how many hooks an artificial bait can have. Basically if you have a large topwater bait like a custom punker with five treble hooks it would be considered one hook by the AZ regs and would be legal. An Alabama rig with 5 hooks would be considered one hook and would be legal.
Ringer wrote:That's some funny stuff! Wondered about casting that rig. Drew you are correct and that is two lures per Alabama rig with the rest as attracters.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Our local boat cop just said he will cite you if you have more than two lures hanging off the thing. You are welcome to try it out and clarify that.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Here is a post on this from our head ticket writer:

Boys you can do whatever ya want but i will tell ya if ya get caught you will get cited for illegal method, illegal possession. then civily sued for each fish.

the rig is sold without any hooks so it is not a lure. Play the game and you MIGHT get bit.

Now you can attache 5 baits to it and only 2 can have hooks and fish that legally as you only have 2 lures.

There is nothing different to this than tying on 5 lures back to back. for instance, 5 zara spooks take the rear hook off and attache a swivel then hook up the next and so on. you still have 5 lures it dont make a **** bit of difference on how you attache them together.

But like i always say, nothing is illegal until ya get caught!!!

Sort of like the dude i arrested today that was chasing duck with his boat. he argued he had an electric motor and shut it off before he shot so he was not under power. not so, 3 coupons press hard 4 copies

Post by Oldschool »

The CA regs cited apply to inland water, not the ocean where ganyon rigs with 10 hooks and speader rigs with diasy chains of lures are common.
A speader rig was snagged at Castaic with 7 swimbaits attached a few years back, the Alabama rig isn't anything new and the average angler will troll it.
The drop shot rig started off as a stacking rig with 2 or 3 hooks with worms and a the bottom weight, still legal today in CA. 1 lure can have 3 hooks, single or treble for inland fresh water. The Alabama rig is 1 lure, as long as you don't exceed 3 hooks, single or treble, you are legal, The other 2 wires could have single or daisy chain attractors attached without hooks and be legal with the DFG.
The IGFA rules and tournament rules can differ from state regulations; the DFG enforces state regulations.
Tom
drew

Post by drew »

So if it were sold with five hooks attached to it, it would be considered one lure? What about a home build unit? Also what if you took a spinnerbait and added four trailer hooks? As the law reads an artificial bait is considered one hook.
Ringer wrote:Here is a post on this from our head ticket writer:

Boys you can do whatever ya want but i will tell ya if ya get caught you will get cited for illegal method, illegal possession. then civily sued for each fish.

the rig is sold without any hooks so it is not a lure. Play the game and you MIGHT get bit.

Now you can attache 5 baits to it and only 2 can have hooks and fish that legally as you only have 2 lures.

There is nothing different to this than tying on 5 lures back to back. for instance, 5 zara spooks take the rear hook off and attache a swivel then hook up the next and so on. you still have 5 lures it dont make a **** bit of difference on how you attache them together.

But like i always say, nothing is illegal until ya get caught!!!

Sort of like the dude i arrested today that was chasing duck with his boat. he argued he had an electric motor and shut it off before he shot so he was not under power. not so, 3 coupons press hard 4 copies

Post by Ringer »

I thought he was pretty clear that the spreader is a ganging device and not considered a lure. Two lures with hooks any way you want them but not five or six or even three. I welcome anyone to try it in the next Havasu or Roosevelt tournament and see how it works.
fishhead from washington

Post by fishhead from washington »

I would think a warden would interpret the alabama rig by now many fish you could possible catch at one time as the deciding factor.
drew

Post by drew »

Three spinnerbait leadheads and hooks cast to the end of the wires would make it a single lure. I don't think that can be disputed.

I would like to hear what the TD's say about this and what they plan to do when they encounter a competitor using them.
Ringer wrote:I thought he was pretty clear that the spreader is a ganging device and not considered a lure. Two lures with hooks any way you want them but not five or six or even three. I welcome anyone to try it in the next Havasu or Roosevelt tournament and see how it works.
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

sTony
Are you talking about the Hydrowave?
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Just found out today that these will be selling at the Bass-a-thon along with a description of how to use it per California reg's. Vendor says he will have about 200 to sell. Get here early as they will go fast IMHO. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Does anybody have a picture of this rig?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Here's a link to a video that shows a guy fishing it, and what it looks like:

http://youtu.be/3c3C4Ah8hB4

In case that doesn't work try this one. The link to the video is down a ways on the thread:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/commun ... abama-rig/

Basically, it's a crank body with five wires coming out of the tail. They all have small loops and swivels on their ends, to connect whatever baits you want. You bend four of them out at opposing angles and leave the longer one in the center.
It is just like a small version of the striper's umbrella rig.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bazs

Post by bazs »

Innovation always brings out skeptics. Sounds like a three way rig will be legal, so play with em if you want to or hold out and don't. Either way these things are more than likeley here to stay.
I will also admit that there may be some unscupulous folks out there who may push the rules. I don't think the spirit of the regulations wants guys running extra baits with no hooks so if someone is seen doing it, PROTEST, and at the time of infraction as with all violations. Its up to US and TD"s to keep those types honest.
I for one can't wait to play with the thing, or whatever version is legal. From reading the regs, as KB posted and are writen, It seems three is ligit.
There will be revised rules i assure you and if your not sure before a derby, ASK the TD at the pairings meeting or the team TD on the dock just before he blasts the first team off so that everyone has a chance to be held accountable for the rules.
We all know some Tourney orgs interpret California laws diffrently, a great example is B.A.S.S and the in the mouth rule that has come under the microscope both events at Clear Lake.
Again it is up to the Anglers to report violations in the form of protest and let the TD's do thier jobs. Rules are rules and like breaking the law, we are innocent until proven guilty. So lets all embrace this new facet of bass fishing for what it is and move on. No need to hypothetically lynch all who may use it in the near future.

Zack Thompson AKA Bazs
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

i like the way Zack put it, embrace this and see what its all about. If the TD's are good with it, great! If not, well there you go...its will be clarified.

I am sure this will turn into the next who is holier than thou contest as some will think its wrong to have 3 hooks in the mix of 5 baits or whatever else they will claim.

Until its made clear what is allowed in the certain derbies, lets enjoy it and have a blast. looks like a great way to catch fish to me!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
sgvangler

Post by sgvangler »

offduty

Post by offduty »

I think I'm with Stony on this one.
Rich
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Just imagine how pissed you would be if you were tossing that thing and only 3 of em had hooks and a monster striper or bass happens to hit one of the 2 without one. almost makes you wana cut it off and throw it in the water lol :lol:
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I would think a lot of lost fish getting ripped up by that thing. You can only drag fish so fast and not setting the hook good I would think losing fish would happen a lot. I would never use it.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Marc

Post by Marc »

If you ask me the fishing regulations are simple and clear.

If you use the Alabama Rig and use 3 swimbaits with hooks, and two with no hook, by the California Regs as written that would be legal because only the swimbaits with hooks qualify as a "lure."

kb's quote is correct, but the part he forgot to check is the definition of the word "lure", as defined within the same regulation. That definition appears in the General Fishing Rules section, and reads:

1.60. Lure.
A manufactured article or object equipped with one or more hooks designed to attract or catch fish.

That isn't to say that a warden won't cite you; but he/she would be in contradiction to the law if they did and any lawyer would easily beat the ticket.

ciao,
Marc
P.S. It is always important to read all the rules, not just parts of them.
Last edited by Marc on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Marc

Post by Marc »

So by definition an Alabama Rig with only 3 hooks (despite 5 swimbaits) would be tournament legal in California unless the TD declares it illegal by their own tournament rule (like trolling is often declared illegal for tournament purposes).

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
drew

Post by drew »

Is a willow leaf blade on a spinnerbait considered a lure?
Levy

Post by Levy »

Pretty good blog on the topic.

Alabama's Last Stand?
Captain Steve Chaconas
Editor's Note: Today's guest blog is submitted by Captain Steve Chaconas of National Bass Guide Service. Steve is a former radio and TV talk show host, who has been fishing on the Potomac since the mid 1960's. Steve fishes local tournaments and writes for several publications covering the BASSMASTERS Tournament trail for radio and newspapers.

Congratulations to Paul Elias on his FLW win on Lake Guntersville. A well-deserved trophy for one of the sport's living legends! A round of applause for the runners-up who fished well behind Elias. But a standing ovation for the real winner, THE ALABAMA RIG.

Finally a bait, resembling saltwater “umbrella” rigs, that truly revolutionizes the sport of bass fishing! With massive limits being winched to the boat, tournaments can finally fit into TV time, making bass fishing a “real” sport. No more 8-hour demonstrations of endurance, a full limit could be caught in less than a half hour show, heck nearly on one cast! And just in case you missed the limit-landing action, imagine repeated super slo-mo shots of a single cast. That's a show! A-Rigs will likely add the element of speed to a sport seeking to find its TV identity.

The A-Rig appeals to hard-to-catch suspended bass, unable to resist a school of baitfish rolling through their strike zone. This rig will probably work in other situations as pros and recreational anglers put them to the test on other bodies of water. Reports of multiple fish catches are not uncommon. After the pounding Elias and others put on the Guntersville largemouth, it's backorders only for the A-Rig. Unable to keep up with production, expect this new fish-catcher to be knocked off by other manufacturers…creating the YUM YAMA BAMA HUM DINGER, and SPRO's Little John, John, John, John, and John Rig, Reaction Innovation's Five Finger Tickler, and the Mother of all multiple bait lures, the OCTO-Rig. To diminish the Alabama Rig brand, a generic category would be created: Limit Landers. New five section landing nets would rush into production. Culling beams would be 5 dimensional. Good-bye to the old-fashioned soft plastics, cranks and spinners. Don't event think about top waters. One-cast limits are sure to be the future of the sport. Electro-fishing can't be far behind.

Fan reaction includes congratulations for Elias and to his credit; he was operating well within the current rules and beat the others to the scales with the A-Rig. A shout out is due to the inventors of the rig as well. A fun way to fish for some as the choice is ultimately with the angler and local lawmakers. But in top-level tournament fishing, the bar should be high. Sure, electronics, fishy noisemakers and various other “advantages and advancements” are available, but one lure, one cast at a time is what makes the sport compelling.

Many states maintain one-pole, one-lure laws thus prohibiting use of multiple baits. This off-season will be interesting for tournament rule makers! At this time, both BASS and FLW present parallel rules. Primarily “sportsmanship” plays into question. It boils down to the interpretation of what does “a conventional sporting manner” really mean? The Alabama rig proved its effectiveness with the top 10 on Guntersville's last day opting for the super strainer. If that's your cup of tea, get some and start lobbing!
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Marty wrote:I seen Aaron Coleman use a set up with two swimbaits back in 2006, one following the other, good looking set up. I even used a drop shot at Havasu back in 2006 with three hooks – should have seen the Pro laugh at me! :lol: Think I will go back to using it. 8)
Marty,

I'm not a pro ... but I still laugh at you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
kb

Post by kb »

Here is one to ponder Marc....although you cut off the barb and hook point on two of the baits do they not still have a hook on or in them.....the eyelet and what is left running thru the head......Now it seems there is no rule on how much of the hook, the barb or the point are there but you are connected by what??? the hook!!!!

Seems like everyone has their own idea of what the rule means and until someone either pulls it off or get's a big protest we won't know and then what god forbid happens if one of your swimbaits ends up outside the mouth....even though one is in the mouth....do you have to release them.....

oh then we can get into the rules regarding hook gaps and then how about weighted hooks, or attaching a weight below your hook......

see how all that works........If the DFG warden that handles the media stuff would have returned my call I would have had them on my show this weekend but with duck season in full tilt he called back too late but next week for sure!!!!!

kb