Spear guns for carp on the Delta

Dom

Spear guns for carp on the Delta

Post by Dom »

I was just wondering if it was legal to use a spear gun on the delta for carp? I looked thru the regs and either im missing it or it dont exsist. I was out last week end and found a flat that was just loaded with monsters just swimming slowly by the boat in like 1-2' of water. So today I picked up a older spear gun did some modifications like longer rope , shorter bands (for more power) and lubed it all up this thing has a stainless steel bolt and ready for some serious carp fishing. I dont see it as a problem I have seen guys in the summer with bows but just wanted to make sure hate to get in trouble over a trash fish. Thanks
Tight Lines Dom
Caudawg

Re: Spear guns for carp on the Delta

Post by Caudawg »

I know I'll catch heat for this...buy I predict that carp fishing will be the fastest growing segment of "Sport" fishing industry in the USA within the next few years. They are not easy to catch...but fight like a mutha!! They are plentiful, are not good eating (by US standards as far as I know), and very accessible from bank or boat. They are taken on all kinds of different baits, rigs and artificial flies.

It's only a matter of time...
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

i love to fish for em. they are a blast to catch but as far as eating goes i dont know never tried em. lots of fun for kids also since they are easy to catch take a big spinning set up and toss out a #2 treble hook with a dough ball or corn on it and let em take it and set the hook and just hold on, like i said they are alot of fun for kids as well.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

Good luck Dom. Are you going to shoot from the boat? Youd probly be better off with a bow. spear guns are very inaccurate and lose velocity very fast. Ive shot them at about 6 feet (From the water) and the bolt couldnt make it past the barb.
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Properly prepared, carp can be just as tasty as most any other fish..My personal opinion is those coming from clean clear water are tastier than those from not so clear water..My used to clean them then pressure cook them (to soften the bones) and can them..She would then make them into cakes like salmon patties..I remember her serving them several times and people asking where she found the white salmon..I have eaten them in several Asian countries at resturants..Depending on how they are cooked they can be quite tasty..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

When I read your post Mac, I sort of threw up a little. Only YOU would say they were tasty !

Might as well trow dynamite at the slimy, smelly things ! Always was and still is a trash fish that eats out the nest of B/B and other desirable fish.

Now had you said the same about River Cat or Sturgeon. I would have been first in line with a bib and fork :P
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
tbob

Post by tbob »

Dom
Your question was if shooting Carp with a speargun is legal in the Delta. It's my understaning that with only a couple small exceptions , and that fishing with a speargun is illegal in freshwater in California. It would also be very dangerous to have a loaded speargun on a boat even when not running fast.

Using a bow is legal for carp and some other species and it is safer, lighter, has way more range and accuracy, is more fun and about 100 x's a better weapon above water. Spearguns are made to be used underwater. I'd sell the speargun on ebay to a diver and buy a bow made for bowfishing.
Dom

Post by Dom »

Thanks everyone for the info :D And as dumb as this sounds I love fishing but hate any kind of fish I dont eat any sea food every once inawhile I will eat shrimp but thats it LOL I catch and release only :D Thats a great idea, I think I will sell the spear gun and buy a bow, I just want it small enough to fit in the rod box have to check out bass pro and cabelas. I picked up a super cool pair of sun glasses they have a built in micro color wireless camara gonna try and get some fishing action shots with em 8) Thanks again
Tight Lines Dom