Weeds

Grumpy

Weeds

Post by Grumpy »

Only been able to get out a couple times this whole year. My son launched from B&W this past weekend, he said the Hyacinth was taking over and clogging the water ways up. I believe he mentioned Potato slough was plugged up with the stuff and said Franks Tract was almost a solid mat now. Don't they spray this stuff and is it becoming more of a problem?
Cooch

Re: Weeds

Post by Cooch »

This year is becoming a definate problem. Sac & SJ Counties haven't sprayed in almost two years now. Contra Costa County spent so much $$ and effort on the pellet project of Bethel Island and Disco, they neglected to get their permit in time to ward off the mess we now are seeing out there.

Frank's Tract, really isn't bad at all, compared to other locations. The Hyacinth all came from east of the San Jaquine, it started breaking up and moving around back in late August as the water temps began to drop. Add the fact they have had the pumps on in the south due to excess in water, that crap got sucked right into Middle River via Turner, Columbia and Laythem sloughs. It is now spreading everywhere and is in peak bloom, worst I have ever seen it. There are many places ya can't even launch, like Whiskey, River's End and yesterday, Russo's Ramp and dock were engulfed to where ya couldn't launch!

Contra Costa has been hitting hit hard and heavy the past 2-3 weeks since they got their permit, yet it's so thick right now, the acres they spray, are covered up again in a matter of 2-3 days. One good thing with this though, is that it has choked off much of the Perrywinkle, Pond and Duck weed that was so thick and overgrown all Spring & Summer. It is a big mess right now!