Stanton Marine in Venture Ca??

Fishaholic68

Stanton Marine in Venture Ca??

Post by Fishaholic68 »

I had things set up with Steve weeks ago for me to drive out and go for a demo ride on the 06 Bass Cat P-4 they have for sale, they say it was just dyno tested and water pump changed, fully serviced ect ect and ran like a top!

This is not to bad mouth the shop, just my dealings of today.

Well I drive from the Delta (Oakland/ San Fran) area 5 hours to check it out in hopes of buying as I can not take any more days off of work , as soon as we get on plane it starts knocking very hard and shuts down leaving us stuck in the back side of the lake.

We try to start it back up, motor will not turn over at all so we try the trolling motor and the batts are dead and the prop barely spins at all. so we drift for a while and 15min later the motor faintly turns over and starts up with a knocking sound, the guy puts it on pad for a few sec and it shuts down with a loud erratic knocking of the motor. stuck again so we wait and try repeated attempts to start the motor after a while it starts then we Idle back to the dock.

Then we drive down the hill to call the shop and they say it must be running on the wrong tank as they only put fresh gas in one tank, I tell them I know motors and gas has nothing to do with a started not cranking... Nope they insist so I play along knowing it will all go the same on the next run.

So to the gas station and back to the lake we go with fresh gas in both tanks and the demo guy tried to give it another run, what do you know it comes to a loud knocking halt this time with the owner of the boat watching from shore. The Demo guy said not only did it knock like hell and shut off but this time it over heated too. Stanton had just made repairs on an oil switch and assured us that all was o.K. with the rig, now it's over heating and Knocking!

The owner of the boat would not budge on the price, we tried to work out a deal to have a 3rd party shop check out the boat and that we'd pay the difference of what was needed to fix it right but owner refused and only wanted stanton to try more repairs so me and my brother in-law began our 5 hour drive home. What a let down!!!

I really liked the boat but a power head or other serious items may be needed and paying full price is not an option in this case.

Brandon treated us with respect and tried his best to get the best out of this boat. Thanks Brandon it's not easy to show a rig that is not ready. All staff at the shop are nice but this boat has some real issues that should have been handle before telling me to come for a test drive/demo run.

Sorry it's so long winded.

Thanks in advance. -Jay
offduty

Re: Stanton Marine in Venture Ca??

Post by offduty »

The day I went to secure loan money from the bank and pick up my used boat from a private party after lake trials I found out that Stanton held the title. I was told that the owner paid for the boat but the title had not been given to him by Stanton. So we went to their shop and it took an hour to find the title. Finally got the loan and purchased the boat from a private party. Later the motor went bad and I found out the motor was 8 years older than the boat, my bad for not running the motor numbers. Take a look around the office and the shop and you will get an idea about this boat shop. Nice people but I wrote them off a long time ago.
Rich
Fishaholic68

Post by Fishaholic68 »

Yes the owner of the boat said that he has the title but owed the shop a great deal of money and could not lower the price, it does not sound like it will get fixed properly at this shop due to the vested interest to band aid the repairs to cut cost.
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Looks like Stanton did not do their job checking on the motor.I would run the other way if I was you, looks like the tryed to make a quick sale but it just back fired on their As?.Call Mike at C&C Marine he will hook you up.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

This is a very unfortunate situation hands down. But from my personal experience of buying 2 used boats there was nothing but quick and painless.

I feel bad the deal wasn't good and you had to take so much time off for this. Its a real bummer for sure.

Brandon is a good dude and I know he did everything he could to take care of the situation as he could.

Keep your head up Jay, you will find the right boat.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Fishaholic68

Post by Fishaholic68 »

Thanks Guys, it was a mess and the boats got problems and I feel they owe me a tank or 2 of gas for not having there $h!t together but I still have my cash so it's not a total loss. Not sure what the real deal is but who cares I'll never give em another chance to waist my time and gas money again.

I can't help but have bad feeling towards the shop cause nothing on this boat worked! big motor and Minn Kota was dead too and we had no way back to shore and they are asking $17K for this boat.
split172

Post by split172 »

Look at it this way. You spent about $200 in gas to save yourself $4500+ in headaches and repairs. Just know to not trust anything from that shop and always test out a used boat.
Fishaholic68

Post by Fishaholic68 »

That's no joke! I just got a call from the owner of the boat he says they tried to test it back at the shop and it blew up and it is now seized and needs a new motor!!
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

Your post sounded like that motor was about to seize..assuming this was a 2 stroke motor. What motor and size was it?
Fishaholic68

Post by Fishaholic68 »

kitjack, The motor was a 2 stroke a 2006- 200hp optimax.