Hetch Hetchy

mark poulson

Hetch Hetchy

Post by mark poulson »

This morning's LA Times had a front page article about Dan Lundgren wanting to tear down Hetch Hetchy, and have SF rely on the Delta for it's drinking water.
Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?
We live in a water challenged state, and he wants to tear down a dam, eliminate a storage reservoir, and take even more water from the Delta.
That sound wrong headed to me.
Of course, maybe it's just me.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Hetch Hetchy

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Sounds about right for San Francisco politicians..The Hetch Hetchy pipe line is in dire need of rebuilding..It no doubt would be considerably cheaper to run a pipe line from the Delta than replacing the current one from HetchHetchy..Of course that would end up with less water in the Delta..And no doubt it would also cost more to clean the water for human use, if it were coming from the Delta..So maybe the savings, if any, wouldn't be all that much..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Dan Pollard

Post by Dan Pollard »

In theory If Hetch Hetchy was not there, then more water would come down, and whether taking it out at the end or at the beginning, would not make any difference. But what about Dry years. Hetch Hetchy stores water instead of letting it go down the river, so there is water in the dry years. letting it go out to the ocean in wet years does nobody any good. Then the dry years pumping it out of the Delta harms everything in the Delta, including salt water intrusion. There was also some talk about tearing down hetch hetchy and making Don Pedro even bigger, then giving San Francisco that storage created by a larger Don Pedro. So that the Sierra Club could spear head turning Hetch Hetchy back into a little Yosemite. Wilderness area. with limited access to it. Then there has been talks about another Dam above Don Pedro, But I don't think that will go any where, in the current climate we are in in regards to enviroment changes and money. undoudtly, they would find a frog or salaminder living there secretly, that would stop that. No body cares about the Delta, it can be sacrificed acording to the enviromental people. " my opinion" :(
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

I was in so cal last week on vacation. I filled a cup up and brought it home and poured it back into the Delta 8)
Support 81