Darter Head Baits ??

macinckirk
Current LameNut

Darter Head Baits ??

Post by macinckirk »

what are you guys using for your plastics on your darter heads??? this is something new to me and I need a starting point, please feel free to put up links also to baits :wink:

Thanks
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
ASD

Re: Darter Head Baits ??

Post by ASD »

PapaJohn454

Post by PapaJohn454 »

I usually use a Kalin or Yamamoto single tailed grub in shad,
watermellon, black or chartruse.
PapaJohn
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

macinckirk wrote:what are you guys using for your plastics on your darter heads??? this is something new to me and I need a starting point, please feel free to put up links also to baits :wink:

Thanks
As for the heads, I buy them from various vendors. I usually try to buy the cheapest ones with decent hooks (mustad needle points). This is because with this technique and typically light line (6# Trilene Fluorocarbon) you tend to loose a lot of heads in the rocks. I usually use 1/8 oz heads, but on occasion, I'll go to a 1/16oz or on a rare occasion, even a 3/16oz head. The lighter the head, the smaller chance of getting them stuck in rocks! :)

Bait wise, you can run the gambit of baits from any grub to curly tail to straight tail worms. Roboworms in your favorite color are a good place to start.
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

I got 10 packs of these in 1/8oz to start for heads

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

thanks for the replys guys, 201 thats what I wented to hear 8) I could use baits I allready have :wink:

is this a lite line only tec ie 6lb or can I go up to 10lb if I go to a bigger head?? When I got these heads last year at the bps spring deal I got them with the idea of using them with 6lb line.
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

...Back in the 90's these were the go to bait for most finesse fisherman...Now it seems drop shotting has taken over..

I used to do real good with these...1/8 oz with a 4" pattle tail in shad color...Either a C.O worm or Pro Worm in color 123 was my favorite...

Cast it out,let it hit bottom and slowly reel in while shaking it...keeping contact with bottom...Am I the only one who still fishes those like that?
afdean

Post by afdean »

I use 6# or 8# seagaur invisix. It is smaller than many other lines, especially the berkley floro. but I have done fine with 8# using 1/8 oz in a flirt worm or fat robo worms. There are also some cool paddle type dropshot baits out that would swim great on a darthead. Usually only go to 6# if i'm fishing deep a lot or just catching spots.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

http://bassdozer.com/articles/darter-jigs.shtml
Good article that should get you started.
Roboworms 4 1/2 to 6" curl tails in hologram shad or Aarons magic on 1/8 oz good quality dart will catch bass nearly anywhere. Take the time to paint the head white, it helps.
Tom
Rbass519

Post by Rbass519 »

smallie beavers, senkos, slim senkos, your favorite worm, flukes(with light darter heads) baby brush hogs..........Experiment!
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

These baits have done well for me on a darthead and the price is right!
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... tml#pImage The bass color is deadly postspawn!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Kirk,

I like the Limit-It Darter head it is well balanced with a sharp Gamakatsu hook, start at 1/8th oz and work up or down from there. For the baits, Pro Worm Paddle tail in Prism Shad is my go to color followed by most other colors Pro Worms makes :lol: Next on my list would be the Reaction Innovation Skinny Dipper and Flirt spanish fly baby (that purple blood line is HAWT and would be killer down south) next is the Robo's for me.
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

Rbass519 wrote:smallie beavers, senkos, slim senkos, your favorite worm, flukes(with light darter heads) baby brush hogs..........Experiment!
Thats it right there... baits are endless.

Have fun,
Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
bassinDerek

Post by bassinDerek »

4 inch Roboworm or a Grub in Shad color. I throw this bait the most in the winter.
FISH TO LIVE LIVE TO FISH
Derek Jantz
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

+1 to what Ash said.

The Limit-it darter heads are awesome. As for the baits, start off with something you are confident in. Personally I like robo worms, but there are many good options.
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

ash wrote:Kirk,

I like the Limit-It Darter head it is well balanced with a sharp Gamakatsu hook, start at 1/8th oz and work up or down from there. For the baits, Pro Worm Paddle tail in Prism Shad is my go to color followed by most other colors Pro Worms makes :lol: Next on my list would be the Reaction Innovation Skinny Dipper and Flirt spanish fly baby (that purple blood line is HAWT and would be killer down south) next is the Robo's for me.
ash do you have a link to these pro worms?? like to look at them, boy those skinny dippers look good thanks

ps thanks and never mind i got it :wink:
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Kirk,

Go with the 1/8 oz Gamagatzu with the 2/0 hook Pro Worms Pro Gold or Delta Red in the 4 inch version.

All of these can be bought from Fisherman's Warehouse, they are a sponser on here.

Ask Ash or anyone else for that matter, I am the Dart head Man!!!!!!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Thanks Guys good info so far 8)
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Hipster wrote:Kirk,

Go with the 1/8 oz Gamagatzu with the 2/0 hook Pro Worms Pro Gold or Delta Red in the 4 inch version.

All of these can be bought from Fisherman's Warehouse, they are a sponser on here.

So True Hipster was the one to help me get started with this bait when i lived in socal; and I appreicate his knowledge and friendship. Kirk, PM was sent last night, I didnt want to break forum rules with the links :wink:
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Darter Heads are my go to bait of choice. I have had tremendous luck with them over the years and you will typically see a couple on my deck at all times. Sure I am not a Pro, but I do enjoy catching fish and this bait works. There are many different baits you can throw. I would just pick your favorite drop shop or split shot worms and start there. I use a couple different Kalins and Yamamoto Grubs but typically stick to 4â€
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

salt&pepper 4" single tail grub if water stained dip it in chartreuse. Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

I use the darter head from Don Iviono, in 3/16 and 1/8 and you cannot beat them.

as for baits use what works on the drop shot --but in summer I use curly tails 4 1/2 to 6 inch it gives the bait a slow fall -- and the tails wiggling give the impression the bait is moving-- slow fall with more time for the bass to eyeball it -- works for me!

Good luck

Walt
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

Don't ever throw a single tail Yamamoto in #135 or a ROBO Purple Smoke-----THEY never get bit. Please don't.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

I'm a beginner, and every time I try to put an aarons magic robo worm on my darter head, it just seems like the worm is not bulky enough to fit over the keeper section on the jig. Maybe I need different jig heads? Obviously a fat senko will cover the keeper section fine, but a robo worm is a small bait. Comments?
Beginner Bass guy, recreational
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

The keeper doesn't need to be very big. Make sure your using a Darterhead with a light wire hook and trim the hook keeper if you have too (you shouldn't). I use a ton on 4 1/2" Robos and they work Great. Good Luck
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
HawgCatcher

Post by HawgCatcher »

I like to pour my own darter heads in either 1/8oz or 1/4 oz that way I can make them whatever color I want. As far the worms, I like to use either a 4 to 6in. Robo Worm or Reaction Innovations "Flirt Worm" or if you can find them is the Berkley Hand poured worms.
Herb
Galt, CA.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/
http://www.abugarcia.com/
http://www.fenwickfishing.com/
http://www.spiderwire.com/
http://zekoshoes.com/
http://goo.gl/eZywId (Snag Proof)
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

ash wrote:
Hipster wrote:Kirk,

So True Hipster was the one to help me get started with this bait when i lived in socal; and I appreicate his knowledge and friendship. Kirk, PM was sent last night, I didnt want to break forum rules with the links :wink:
Hey I used to Post on here didnt I? :):):)

That statement I made will catch a bass anyhwere.
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Dang Mark, I didn't realize you were so adept..I thought you specialized with the Flick-Shake..OH well, it is all good..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
dwise

Post by dwise »

I asked George Krammer what he recommended I throw on a dart head. He told me the fatter the bait the better. He uses ring worms, so I tried those, and they work. I would also try single tail grubs on them.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

Everything can be a darterhead bait, in short.

On spot lakes, I like a 6" Robo ST on a 1/8oz down to 10 feet, 3/16 oz down to 20 feet, 1/4oz to 40 feet.

4.5" Robo, curly or straight tail, kill on 1/8oz heads

Fat Robos, Mothers Finest, and Pro Worms all do very well on darters. A 4.5" Fat Robo in natural colors on an 1/8oz head and 4lb has saved the day a few times during tough days at Castaic.

Grubs of all types work well. So do small swimbaits, and reapers.

Buy in bulk when you buy heads. Learn how to powder paint jigheads, and find a good jig maker who can make you the heads you want. You will burn up those $5 10 packs of darters very quick if you are fishing them right. I throw heavier heads that some, and lose my share, but I catch'em very well doing it.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I make all my own darter heads and powdercoat them i use alot of 4 and 6 lbs line when i fish millerton, pineflat & mcclure i also carry a few of each size in 10 different colors i like too match the jig head colors of the yamamoto baits
1/16oz 1/0 2/0 hooks
1/8oz. 2/0 3/0 hooks
1/4oz. 3/0 4/0 hooks
3/16oz. 3/0 4/0 hooks
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Hipster pulls up a two year old thread and catches a solid limit.

I for one miss your posts on here Mark, i just assumed that you havent fished in the past two years :mrgreen:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
resqd1

Post by resqd1 »

Give Kenny a call at Inside Lines (Retailer that carries Lunker Daddy Lures) He has some great stuff there. 209 384 9500 He is carrying a new line of worms "western worm series" these things are the toughest most supple worms ever. Also check out his darter heads, great hooks, and great mold.
www.denalirods.com
www.pro-cure.com
www.mccoyfishingline.com
www.berserkbaits.com
www.koppersfishing.com
www.grantparkerphotography.com
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

If you still fish silverwood put a 3"inch crazylegs chiggercraw on it and hold on!