Wear your PFD's!...Big Break duck hunters rescued

Shad*Wizard

Wear your PFD's!...Big Break duck hunters rescued

Post by Shad*Wizard »

after boat is swamped in Big Break...Water was 43 degrees...Hypothermia, hypothermia, hypothermia!!!...

Google up "Boating deaths on the Ca. Delta" and you can see a map and stats of boating deaths and drownings

on our delta...Be careful out there...
Shad*Wizard

Re: Wear your PFD's!...Big Break duck hunters rescued

Post by Shad*Wizard »

Swamping was caused not by the wind, but too much weight from gear and equipment in a small aluminum

along with 2 guys moving around to shoot a flock of ducks and causing the boat to be swamped by water...

They're lucky to be alive...They were in the water for a while too, luckily another hunter saw this and made it

out to rescue them...
Cooch

Can't say it enough......

Post by Cooch »

Wear it California!
Shad*Wizard

Post by Shad*Wizard »

The 2 young duck hunters that were swamped out in Big Break in 2001 didn't die from drowning, they died

from HYPOTHERMIA!...Looking on the chart at the Delta boat deaths site, only around 11 out of the 70 or

so boaters who died were wearing PFD's...If someone is at that site and can put it up on this thread it

would be appreciated...It shows a map and all the accident stats in our central delta...Very interesting...

Thanks Cooch, Sep, and Kent Brown for making us all aware of wearing a PFD...Maybe a little talk on the

radio shows some day on the effects and precautions when dealing with cold water and hypothermia...
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I got a call from a buddy at about 6:AM on the weekend, and you know its not going to be good news.

They went duck hunting and struck something, which caused the boat to sink.

They made it to an old levee and called me because I "had a Bassboat."

Talked to my friend, and asked if they wanted the CG. He said no, they were ok for the time being but to get out there and pick them up. The tide was coming in, and they were climbing the old levee and trees.

Moved crap out of the way, hooked up, launched, and went after them.

The dogs and guns had floatation gear. Nothing for the hunters, or boat for that matter.

They were REALLY happy to see someone and get on board!

Towed the other boat in, and heat loss for the other guys sunk in. Feet were hurting, fingers, etc.

Pointed at the Lowrance and it was some super low 45 degree or something, and launched into a tirade about hypothermia. We had a long time to pop off boots, socks, gloves, and talk about safety issues. Back then, I thought it was lucky that the phones stayed dry, and happened to work right there where they needed help!

Anyway the tow/ride back turned out ok, and they bought me a burritto and a beer at Maria's later on that day.

:D
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

I can tell all of you from my experience as a Coast Guardsman that life jackets flat out save lives. They seem like a pain in the butt but they will save your butt when you get into trouble out on the water. You never know what is going to happen out there and disaster strikes fast. All of the fatality incidents involving boaters I responded to I can not remember one case of the victim wearing a life jacket. A Coast Guard approved PFD, when worn properly, is designed to roll a victim onto his or her back so a victim can breath if they are unconscious or otherwise incapable of keeping themselves upright. So please guys, wear them and tell your friends and family to do the same.
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

..I know the 2 duck hunters in question..if you are fishing in BIG BREAK and come upon a gun case with choke tubes inside, PM me please...they will probably turn to rust in a month so not to worried about it...XMAN
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

...Also upon talking to these guys...they made it to seagull island [hook rats know of it]..at that point they were in the water for about 30 min and were really having a hard time moving their legs..their bodies were shutting down..thoughts were becoming distorted they said...luckily someone saw them and picked them up....to sum it up in 43 degree water you have a 1/2 hour to think..by the end of the second 1/2 hour your DEAD...the sheriff said, i aint trying to scare ya, but one of you are lucky you aint dead right now...when out fishing or hunting have plan B ready in your mind for a JUST IN CASE MOMENT...another thought..that PFD that you have in your boat that alot of us usually dont wear, does it really fit you with jackets on..i suspect not..i am guity of this also...know where that PFD is at all times...Yes these guys were lucky this time and so am I in that I dont have to attend a funeral this weekend....may GOD bless you SON......DAD